Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods More nonsense from Ten publishing for me.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Dec 28, 2019.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

A couple of weeks before Ten folded all the mags., I had decided to subscribe to Hot Rod Deluxe and did so by sending one of the inserted cards in the latest issue I had bought off the newsstand, marking "Bill me". I have been wondering what would happen of course.
    Yesterday in the mail came the answer, a manila envelope with the November issue of HRD enclosed which is where I found the subscription card in the first place.:rolleyes:o_O
    I thought the subscription would have been ignored on their part but nope they sent me HRD from a month back. I can hardly wait to see what "they" decide what I want as a replacement since I now seemingly have a one year to one of the three they still produce.
    Doesn't make any difference though because I'm not sending them one red cent anyway.:eek:

2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Good for you don’t send them a payment. Maybe that will teach them a lesson

Flathead Dave likes this.
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

That'll show 'em

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every magazine I have ever subscribed to online or via one of those cards has sent the current issue and one sent the previous issue to count in the 12 months of issues. That time they sent me the same issue that I pulled the card out of.

5. 34Larry

34Larry

("Maybe that will teach them a lesson"). I know was posted sarcastically with you thinking I'm so small minded that my refusal to pay will affect their bottom line, with an attitude of, "damn it, I'll show them".....there Oldsman. I'll assure you that with 8 decades now behind me my gray matter is well used and some what still intact. Kind of surprised that you would include that insinuation of someone :rolleyes: thousands of miles from you that you don't know.

kevinrevin likes this.
  6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

No sarcasm intended. If all of us would do the same hopefully it will make them understand they are doing wrong. I feel you absolutely did the right thing

Hnstray likes this.
  7. 34Larry

34Larry

I have no idea why one well meaning post, is met with the B. S. responses that often happens here.
    It will be awhile until I subject my self to idiot insults here again that is for damned sure. That comment wasn't meant to supposedly hurt a multi-million dollar corporation, it was just a statement of fact, nothing more, nothing less.

32SEDAN, kevinrevin and hotrodA like this.
  8. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I hear you Larry. And feel your frustration. The present world just sucks...;

9. I have no idea why every time you post something and don’t get exactly the response you want you throw a fit and say you are leaving....just go away if it’s that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. 34Larry

34Larry

My apologies OLDSMAN, I seem to have a short fuse this morning.
    And Xs 2 what oldnkrusty said above.

11. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

No problem I get crankier the older I get. This thing with Ten Publishing really has me cranky

Hnstray likes this.
  12. A Boner

A Boner

It could be way worse for all of us.....just be glad we don't work for "Ten" or the previous owner.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Geez - all this over a stupid company changing the way that they do business, which we have no true control over - time to go for a ride

iwanaflattie likes this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When I got the news, I vented on my lovely wife...who responded with much of the same as @OLDSMAN, @a boner, and @Jalopy Joker added...
    H.R.Deluxe was a handy revisit to early issues of HRM, which I have up to '65, (on later inspection) HRM is buried deep in my spare room, inside 5 boxes of magazine storage.
    Point is: Who needs 'em? Or the continuation of what became 'Chevy Monthly'...

15. dirrty

dirrty

As subscribers we entered into an agreement with a company to provide its products that we have paid for. If said company can no longer provide its products, I believe a refund would be fair and appropriate. It remains to be seen what they will do. I subscribe to several of their titles and am waiting to hear from them on their "plan". When Rod and Custom died the last time they sent me Motor Trend without asking. After several not so nice (by me) responses, I got Hot Rod Deluxe ( a good magazine). Will have to see what kind of BS they come up with. With all those titles supposedly cancelling, I imagine we are talking about a lot (millions?) of subscribers. A lot of money to refund.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. uncle buck

uncle buck

And I was about to resubscribe to Street Rod Advertiser in their recent mail solicitation, I’m sure glad I didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Would be funny if a bunch of people sent in those subscription cards marked "Bill Me" now that they have cancelled the titles. Would they send anything, or just ignore them?

Deuces, Hnstray and town sedan like this.
  18. They started to suck anyway. Nowhere as this as they were when they restarted the HRD title. Shit Hot Rod is thinner, shorter and narrower. They can keep their crap. I’ll be subscribing to Hop Up before too long. I think my subscription lapsed for Rodders Journal, I just pick up the ones I like at the newsstand, there are issues where I just don’t like a car in it.

19. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I hated to see it, I like looking at an actual magazine, I can look crap up on line but it just ain't the same. Everytime I sent in a subscription I had a problem, get 2 issues and then nothing. Call and gripe about it and I'd end up getting back issues I'd bought off the stand. I liked Hot Rod Deluxe but it was expensive. I like RodZ and Street Rodder when they weren't full of Customs.

20. Hop2it

Hop2it

I found the March issue of car craft mag in my mailbox Saturday my subscription expires in may of 21.I only subscribed because it was cheap.I recently got succered into subscribing to street Rodder after letting it lapse because the subscription prices were getting to be way to high. I then received an offer which was a fair price and reupped my subscription it expires in dec of 22. the 1st week of dec I get an offer to extend my subscription for 1year for $25.that offer expired on12/18/19 which was after it was announced on HAMB that they were going belly up. Sounds like fraud.
    Doug

21. The TEN people are strictly business people, don't know squat about the rodding subculture. They have a business plan (go all in on G5 web productions is my guess) and the wanted to corner the market before the move. That is the only possible explanation for them determining Motor Trend as an adequate substitute for R&C.

Speed Gems likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Isn't Motor Trend one of those rags you only find in Dr's offices?

RICH B, Deuces and Speed Gems like this.
  23. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Or Hot Rod Deluxe.

24. Have no idea. Have never cracked the cover of one in 71 years.

25. ...I contacted TEN and requested a refund or put my remaining issues towards Hot Rod,...got an email stating all remaining subs will go towards Hot Rod,..now I just hope Hot Rod continues to be printed.

Deuces likes this.
  26. Ken Boellner

Ken Boellner

I emailed them and they are sending me a refund on 3 magazines.

27. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

My Jan '20 issue has yet to come in the mail. Yesterday I bought one from the magazine rack just to make sure I have it. I think I'll send in the renewal offers to see what happens ...

28. Deuces

Deuces

That be funny....:D Ok, I'm game....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. .......I guess they would have to pay the USPS the bulk rate postage for all of those little inserts that got mailed back to them. How devious do we want to be?!:mad:

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They will turning all of your bills to a collection agency and ruin your credit... It’s corporate America. Screw the little guy any way you can.