Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Using penetrol on old paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olustee Bus, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

My 74 F100 must have gotten a cheap paint job years ago and it is very chalky. It also has a fair amount of rust spots. I am not going to spend much money on it as it would take a ton to make a nice look.

So, I am considering putting penetrol on it. How does Penetrol age? Does it weather off? Turn dark?

I feel sure some of you guys have done this and I would appreciate your input.

2. Weird .. never had a use for that on vehicles. Always used the product to flow out interior paints.

Interesting question. What is the answer ? Not the 1st time being surprised on this site.

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. 343w

343w

I'm a contractor by trade, I have also used penetrol often mixed with oil-based paint for flowing, what is the method you plan to use on your truck paint?

4. catdad49

catdad49

Penetrol has a variety of uses as the guys have already stated. Here it is straight from the can (this can was given to me about 20 yrs. ago). A disclaimer on many products that is not on here, something about trying it in an inconspicuous location! Your results many vary, let us know . IMG_2121.JPG

loudbang likes this.

5. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I'd rub it out or buff it first to see if the shine can be brought back.

loudbang likes this.
  6. 62SY4

62SY4
    from Irwin, Pa

I've used it on chalky gelcoat. Worked ok for bringing the shine back and lasted about a year sitting out. Also works good on protecting bad chrome, the kind you can get shined up and then turns orange the first bit of rain.

I have an ot 67 Ford truck that I used Meguire's #7 glaze on. Read on one of the forums about it, maybe this one? You gently rub piles of it on the faded paint and let it sit inside overnight. Then buff it off with a cloth. Brought back the depth and gloss. The truck also sits out the shine lasted about 6 months and was way less of a mess than the penetrol. Also didn't have to worry about burning the place down with the soaked rags.

loudbang, HunterYJ and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. noboD

noboD

I have a car that had Penetrol brushed on it about 1970. The car sat inside without ever going outside again. The Penetrol yellowed but it did preserve the original paint and kept it from rusting. I am now trying to take off the Penetrol without destroying the original paint. I have tried everything. The only thing I have found to take it off without ruining the paint is Berkibile carb cleaner and a tooth brush. I rub it in and then have about 10 seconds to remove it before the Penetrol rehardens. I can only do about a three inch area at a time.

loudbang likes this.
  8. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

I'd hit it with a foam pad and polish like 3m perfect it. Then a good wax and hand glaze. I use Race Glaze for final hand polish.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

Which do you like best except for the mess with the rags. Does the Penetrol turn orange?

thanks

10. 62SY4

62SY4
    from Irwin, Pa

The penetrol washed/faded away on the gelcoat it didn't darken the finish that I noticed. For information it was a really sun baked enclosed car trailer nose.

For paint I'd go with the Meguire's. I'm not a fan of Meguire's products generally speaking. The Meguire's soak gave the paint depth and gloss, made it look like a worn but cared for old truck. I've tried the penetrol/ boiled linseed oil on other stuff and it looks cheap to me. Like look I brushed clear coat on this old junk.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

Ok, sounds like what I would like. Apparently you don't buff it at all. I will try it. Thanks

12. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I've used CLR with a gray or green scotch brite pad, depending how crusty it is. It works great, especially if there's any rust coming through the paint. The CLR will remove the chalky oxidation and rust staining. Then if needed, use light rubbing compound with a buffer, then wax or just the wax if the paint is very thin.

13. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

I will try a small part with CLR. The paint is fairly solid but very oxidized - chalky. I don't want to get below the paint.