Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1953 Ford F100 ride comfort. Need help...please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pgaines, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Pgaines

Pgaines

My 53 F 100 currently has a TCI parallel leaf spring set up with what I’m guessing are import shocks. It is awful stiff, with only two leaf springs....what can I do to soften the ride in rear? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. brady1929

brady1929

I think that you could get softer springs. Try Mid Fifty F100s, if they are still around.
    Just a guess.

3. Terrible80

Terrible80

For the time being, if you're not hauling anything lower the rear air pressure.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim likes this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If you are really serious about better ride remove one leaf and put the air overload set up on it. You will retain your height and get a better ride and a somewhat adjustable ride height. My friend added these to his ot one ton( he didn’t remove any leafs) it raised his truck a little, but helped the ride tremendously!

Bones

5. When you start changing to softer or heavier springs you upset the spring rates and suspension Geometery. If you change the rear the fronts might need to be changed also.

6. What type of Tires are you running on your Truck.?
    if its Bias=ply.
    Change it to Radials.....!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

olscrounger likes this.
  7. Its a truck . there supposed to ride rough and haul stuff. After driving walking beam suspension cab over semi trucks for hundreds of thousands of miles. A leaf spring fat fender ford rides really soft.

8. 62rebel

62rebel

My slightly off topic dodge a100 actually rode pretty well for leaf springs and straight axle. Kinda heavy in the back since it was a van. Have you driven other vehicles similar to yours? Maybe your expectations are based on car comfort.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

I've always run with the idea that springs carry a load, and shocks provide the ride quality.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That should have been the very first question asked. What kind of suspension is your butt used to riding on?
    If you have never driven or ridden in leaf spring rigs they do feel rough be it a 53 F100, 48 Chevy 3100 or 84/01 Jeep Cherokee. Actually if you drove one of those little square Cherokees or Grand Cherokees daily the F 100 would seem pretty smooth riding.
    That said, years of doing alignment, brake and suspension work for a living stuck one thing in my mind and that is far too many guys think that they have to have the stiffest shocks they can find because they have a truck. I lost track of guys who thought they just had to have the "heavy duty Monroe Magnums (big yellow ones) in the 70's and 80's then came back and complained that the rig rode too rough. The ranchers who beat around in the pastures and the guys who went off road a lot loved them though.

If you can find a brand and part number on the shock look it up and see what the specs are or post it and someone here will figure out if it is a standard shock or too stiff of a shock.
    Rock auto shows that the 53 F100 uses the same shock front and rear with stock suspension.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...cid+v8,1487619,suspension,shock+absorber,7556

One last thing. The suspension on these old trucks including the spring bushings want and need to greased pretty often. Back when they were new normal grease intervals were 1000 miles on any 30's 40's and 50's pre ball joint rig.

The plain Jane Monroe blue shock #33202 isn't that stiff and usually rides pretty smooth
    Specs are
    Dust Shield Yes
    Extended Length (in.) 17.875
    Upper Mounting Description Loop Bushing Mount - 5/8" Bushing ID X 1.5/16" Bushing OAL
    Lower Mounting Description Loop Bushing Mount - 5/8" Bushing ID X 1.5/16" Bushing OAL
    Compressed Length (in.) 11.250
    Travel Length (in.) 6.625
    Parts Pack(s) P00411
    Compressed Bumper Stop No
    The only issue with lowering springs might be compressed length. You might need a shock with a shorter compressed length so it doesn't bottom out.

On Leaf springs no matter what they are on if the spring packs are rusted and or worn they don't ride good on any rig be it a Model A or a 1-1/2 ton. The leaves need to be able to slip on each other as you go over bumps an what not or they bind up on each other and give a rough ride.
    Extended Bumper Stop No
    Extended Hydraulic Lockout No
    Dust Shield Material Metal

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Nope, spring rate dictates the ride, shocks just dampen the rebound. Example, put a set of one ton springs on a t- bucket! Don’t need any shocks! I know that an extreme example, but it gets my point across!

Bones

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

An old trick that my Dad said they used use back in the day to try and get the old cars to ride better was to Jack up the car and put nails between the leafs, giving the springs something to roll on! Don’t recommend it, now, but thought it was interesting! He said it really improved the ride over the rough roads at the time and where the springs had wore notches in each one! Untill they fell out and had a flat! My Dad grew up in the depression in Oklahoma, they did a lot of crazy stuff to survive! He also said they were too poor to leave and go to California, only the well to do Okies left! Lol

Bones

13. My wifes car is one of those Jeep grand Cherokees. I think its a good ride. when it raining and we need feed I take it to the feed store and put 4 or 5 hundred pounds of feed in the back. hauls it Ok and the feed don't get wet.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Here we go again Old Wolf! I ve got a Jeep Grand Cherokee, that came with my motor home! Rides kinda rough, till you get used to it! We also use it as our utility vehicle as the batteries have died in my OT One ton. You can see it and the one ton behind the car in my avatar!

Bones

Old wolf likes this.
  15. partssaloon

partssaloon

Take the shocks off and drive it around the block. If the ride is better but more dangerous you know it is the shocks.

Old wolf likes this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. Debbies Jeep is white with a chrome grill also.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

Each spring only has two leaves? I can't remember ever seeing that before.

Are you an experienced hot rodder? Can you tell us what travel you have before bottoming out? Can you see if there is anything binding? Are the shackles at full swing and preventing the spring from arching out at a bump? Are there any rubber bumpers where the axle hits the frame? Are you sure the shocks aren't bottoming out first?

19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

More pic's could help.
    Put some of that slipper tape between the leaves or grease as a low cost check to see it there is any room to improve what you have.
    I went to a IFS coil setup after I got tired of a front leaf spring ride.
    It always seems to be a trade off with something else when doing mods...

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well, Budget36, I hear you! My example was extreme! I’ll admit! Shocks and spring rate need to work together! That’s for sure! I just think spring rate should be the primary factor, then helped/ adjusted/ fine tuned by shocks. So I guess we agree!??? Lol

Bones

Budget36 likes this.
  21. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Spread grease between the leafs...

22. Pgaines

Pgaines

So...
    my butt is used to rough rides I have 3 pickups. This one is such a light truck with no weight. The amount of knowledge on the H.A.M.B. never ceases to amaze me. I will try to get the numbers of the existing shocks and post them. The TCI leaf spring kit I installed only uses two leaf springs. I will try the grease between the leafs, as well. I will also check to make sure the shackles are not over tight. IMG_3251.JPG IMG_1096.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. alchemy

alchemy

Show us a pic with all the weight on it.

24. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I have a 54 F100 with S10 leafs. It rode harsh. I disconnected the shocks and went for a short ride. Rear had plenty of travel, so put cheap shocks on it. Much better.

25. KenC

KenC

Years ago shocks used to be referred to as 50:50, 90:10, 10:90 ect. Those were the numbers referring to jounce/rebound,or compression/extension rates. A 10:90 would offer very little resistance to compression, and wouldn't bounce the frame upward as much as 'stiffer' shocks would. there are fully adjustable shocks available, but pricy.

I don't know if such info is available but if it is, select a soft compression shock.

Laying the shock down to a more horizontal position helps too as there is more wheel travel needed to move the shock.

26. Pgaines

Pgaines

Here’s the side view IMG_4595.JPG IMG_4596.JPG

27. Pgaines

Pgaines

KevKo
    I’m thinking a softer shock is definitely needed. Thank you.

28. Pgaines

Pgaines

Ken C
    I have seen front shocks like you described at Summit lanes for “competition use” not designed for street use. I would imagine with the delayed rebound to transfer weight in drag racing.

29. Pgaines

Pgaines

Radials.

30. alchemy

alchemy

I mean a pic of the springs and the shackles with the weight on it. Show us how the shackles sit, and how much clearance above the axle to frame.

Since the shackles are already at vertical with no weight, I'm thinking they may be overextended with full weight.