Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What are you guys using for roof mounted wipers ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Do it Over, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I'm getting close to needing to buy my wiper motor/motors and want to know what works best. My car is a 1935 Ford 5W. Should I do one wiper or two? I don't expect to drive in the rain much if at all but I would like to take it out on the road once or twice.

Thanks
    Leon

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

3. 12volt vw wiper motor works pretty good for single wiper

4. Oliver Steward

Oliver Steward

I used a series 1 Landrover , it mounts through the screen frame and the casing polishes up nicely if you see it from the inside of the car .

Do it Over likes this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Several years ago I installed a Newport Engineering electric wiper kit in my brother’s ‘38 Ford Coupe. It was a top mounted dual wiper system operated by a single motor. His car was a originally a single wiper model, but the Newport kit provided templates and detailed instructions to accurately locate and drill the hole for the second wiper. It worked perfectly.

In addition to my brother’s car, I have since installed Newport Engineering electric wiper kits in
    several vehicles I have owned, including a ‘47 Ford, ‘41 Buick and most recently, a ‘37 Chevy.
    The kits are very well designed, rugged and complete.

Ray

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Back in the old days we used a wiper motor from a boat. Living on LI there were plenty of marine supply places. They worked ok but I'm sure there is better stuff out now like Dirty Dug and Hnstray suggested. Just remember you may not plan on using it but when you need it, it better work well!

Pat

chryslerfan55, chopped and Do it Over like this.
  7. I have used the Newport engineering setup on several cars with good results. This is a very well built product and works as it should.

Hnstray and Blue One like this.
  8. Blown35

Blown35

On my 35 3 Window I use a stock single unit - since you do not anticipate heavy rain use - should be the easiest to use.
    IMG_2679.jpg

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

10. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I built my 37 sedan before the cable operated after market units were available. I used VW beetle motor and wiper shafts. Added a bell crank to passenger side so both wipers would park "out". Everything fits under the stock header panel. Made beveled spacers for wiper shafts so shafts would be perpendicular to glass (important). Henry used such a spacer on originals. Use carb-type linkage with bearing ends to keep everything tight.

HunterYJ and Do it Over like this.
  11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've built 2 cars using the Newport top mount dual wiper system. Worked perfect.

Hnstray and Blue One like this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

1934coupe likes this.