Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features T roadster gow jobs.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by David Mazza, Sep 19, 2019.

1. guitarguy

guitarguy

2. madfish

madfish

Photoshop version using 8 different photos.

speedsterBW.jpg

3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Apparently my search-fu is lacking. Is there a thread on 3 springers?

4. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outback, brEad, Bigcheese327 and 4 others like this.
  5. 296ardun

296ardun

29EHV8 likes this.
  6. flyin-t

flyin-t

Of course, except for the pics of Gabby’s car they’re all from different books. I’m sure Gabby would love to know people are still interested in his cars.

7. guitarguy

guitarguy

Awfully quiet over here in Gow land....:D:D

8. Blackbob

Blackbob

I got a bit more done to my Gin Runner. and bought some road tyres for it, 5.50x18 on chevy 6 stud wheels (and T wood spoke hubs) for the back 4.50x21 on T 21" wheels up front. still sitting on the dirt bike tyres for now fullsizeoutput_2b29.jpeg

barrnone50, brEad and bct like this.
  9. David Mazza

David Mazza

2412AC2C-9432-4B3B-9D88-90ABDA73123C.jpeg Well I haven’t been getting much done. But I have accumulated parts to make this project complete. I have managed to find model a wheel hubs and wishbone and well as a 30-31 steering column.
    I have also got wood for the body on official order. And also got the patch panels on order as well. I have also learned that one of the old time body guy to make my sheet metal repairs better tan I ever could is still doing sheet metal!
    The biggest news however is that I will pick up a running model a chassis in Jan 5. This engine will go into the model t chassis and some parts will be pillaged and the rest will be sold. Here’s a pic of my model a chassis. 2412AC2C-9432-4B3B-9D88-90ABDA73123C.jpeg

Outback, Jet96, brEad and 2 others like this.
  10. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outback, Lil'Alb, Rathbone and 11 others like this.
  11. David Mazza

David Mazza

Actually I’m only using the model a engine and trans. The rest of the model a chassis will go off to some who will hopefully do something cool with it. That t/a speedster is cool! I just wish you’d kept the v windshield....

ClarkH and guitarguy like this.
  12. flyin-t

flyin-t

Don't think I posted this one yet.

11392775_475413935955727_6211202536054800460_n.jpg

Lil'Alb, alfin32, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  13. guitarguy

guitarguy

Looks like a 26-27 Canadian (Edit: it's not a Canadian car) cut off touring.....As it appears it has door hinges on the drivers side, something US cars didn't have as they had the fake door on open body cars (Edit: I was wrong again, the drivers door became standard in '26/27).
    With the exhaust on drivers side, it probably had a RaJo head, Model 31, BB, or BBR.

Even if I am wrong on the details, who cares because that is still a cool shot!

My stock '25 "pickup" is a Canadian cut off Touring with a pickup bed, and it also has the functional, but useless drivers door.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  14. alchemy

alchemy

All 26-27's had working doors on the left. And right.

guitarguy and gimpyshotrods like this.
  15. guitarguy

guitarguy

@alchemy , Thank You for the clarification, I wasn't 100% sure when I said that. I should have researched it before I spoke. I am more familiar with '25 and earlier cars. Lord knows there are tons of subtle changes through a T's lifespan.

16. Harold's Speed

Harold's Speed

David Mazza The last picture of the T with the yellow wheels was my brothers. He gave it to me when he passed and I foolishly sold it because I was already working on a 28A and a deuce. Wish I would have kept it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. OzT

OzT

This a 23 T that I bought 2 weeks ago. I really appreciate what you guys are doing . I am like at a dream school, learning all the time !! IMG_3642.JPG

Lil'Alb, Jet96, brEad and 7 others like this.
  18. OzT

OzT

My wife taking possession of the rig ! We have plenty of ideas but don't know really where to start. Better and more period seats and removing the guards perhaps IMG_3636.JPG .

Outback, Lil'Alb, Jet96 and 9 others like this.
  19. guitarguy

guitarguy

Very nice. What a great start. Your transformation is only limited to your imagination.

The thing I like about @David Mazza and myself is that we had a vision after much research and have pretty much stuck with it......(ok, my engine has gotten a little out of hand, but still very much in the spirit of Gow Job). I for one admit it is a challenge to build with parts mostly from '35 or earlier.....seems easy when you say it, not as easy to put it into practice.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Sent from my thinks it's smarter than me smart phone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. OzT

OzT

Chad, yes you are right. Not easy to do as I'm discovering it !! And the fact that no many people are keeping the T motor/gearbox.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. OzT

OzT

Keeping that tread open,
    As we are all a bit confined in one way or another why not to spent the time in the garage !
    After spending some time to have it running right, we went to an open track day, good idea as everything shut down in the following weeks !! My wife certainly enjoyed driving it, and when the wife's happy .........
    IMG_3656 - Copy.JPG

I'm fabricating my own bucket seats, especially for the width I want. Cutted a slice of the seat box to lower it down, slimming the waist behind the seats and indeed removing the guards. I will go with the cycle guards style.
    IMG_3669.JPG
    My first attempt was to adapt some bar stool seat, but end up looking crap.

IMG_3692.JPG

Those, I think look better.

IMG_3694.JPG

Anyway keep on building !!

Lil'Alb, barrnone50, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  22. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Just went right through this thread, bumping it back.
    I work a few days at a place restoring mostly Edwardian European 'sports cars' & it has interested me a little, causing me to see about an early 'speedster' based on a T, edging on the Gow Job world. I've got too many projects to get serious now, but have just aquired a T chassis this weekend, so may start collecting parts. i think i need to stay pre A model with my parts it may end up with some European influence - out here in Aus that's not so out of place.

Any updates from those building projects?

brEad, Bigcheese327 and The37Kid like this.
  23. fortynut

fortynut

No one has paid respect to the man who should be called the King of the T's: Ed Winfield. I first read about him in the Sixties when Bruce Crower, then a contributor to Hot Rod Magazine, wrote about him with great respect. He even made the pilgrimage to Las Vegas to talk to Mister Winfield about his exploits with Model T engines. That was when I learned about his extensive knowledge and hot-rodding of these engines when they were still coin of the realm. Since then, I've read about his experiments and successful venture both into racing and the manufacture of his carburetors and other speed equipment. In his early years, he made a billet crankshaft for a T engine that had a two up and two down design that was easier to balance and created more usable horsepower. He also ground the cam so it ran like stink. I won't add any more because I figure those interested can do due diligence and find out for themselves. A true genius deserves to be remembered, and folks Mister Ed Winfield was at the top of the heap for his time. If you are into Gow Jobs, you owe it to yourself to look into what he did.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  24. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I didn't realize Ed's name hadn't come up here, but you're absolutely correct. Ed and his younger brother Bud are giants in racing and rodding from the 1920s to the 1960s. Those articles I linked to are just a taste of what they were up to.

Outback likes this.
  25. fortynut

fortynut

I know it is presumptuous of me to post this, but when I was scanning through it, the thought of sharing what many of the posters on this particular little postage stamp of the vastness of the web might miss caused me to think of the old adage of 'tis better sometimes to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission'. Not that I really give an owl hoot. See below.
    https://www.nwvs.org/Technical/2104EdWinfield.pdf

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

THANKS! Never knew Crazy Chris was a writer, that was a very nice read. Bob

27. David Mazza

David Mazza

Haven’t made a progress report in a long time. But here goes a good one. Got a lot done. Model a engine mounted in t frame. Model t hand crank in fact will be used as a true starting backup. Front axle done, rear axle done, springs done, Rockies mounted, rear wheels adapted, headlights dropped 1 1/4, and body preliminary mocked up. Please anyone working on or who has any more gow job stuff, post it!!! 2C193401-85C6-4EC5-9502-F16FCA5EE04C.jpeg 284A967A-7BDA-4F42-AF40-7C74B1FA12A0.jpeg D36C085D-B2F9-491D-B772-9A7F5E218230.jpeg B5662548-BEA7-4DCB-B67B-CA18EF28CE6F.jpeg CD9CF359-87CB-49AB-9CAA-FD877FA63094.jpeg

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great to see how T & A parts work so well together. Bob

29. RyanAK

RyanAK

30. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Update on my early db gow job.I think i may have broke some rules as im using 16 inch kelseys and hydraulic brakes but it all stuff i had and want to use up. mopar.jpg