Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Ford Flathead V8 build thread

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Christopher Miller, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Recently I have noticed a major problem with the transmission in my 1936 ford flathead V8 pickup truck. There is a crack in the side of it as shown in pictures. Having a hard time finding a new transmission that matches this. Wondering if there are other transmissions that can match up to this? Looking for anything that may work whether that’s the casing, a whole new one or a similar transmission to hook up to it. It’s a 4 speed with a P/N 51- 7006. Upon reading other forums I found that a P/N 59T-7006 may also work?? Does anyone know if this is true or an explanation behind this?

Thank you

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Just an FYI, that ain't no pickup truck. That's a big truck. I don't have any line on a replacement, but if you specify that it's a big ton truck it might help get you on the right track.

3. Check with fordbarn folks and Mac Van Pelt.I see your 17,good to see young folks here.
    Also fill in some profile info-location etc,will be helpful finding help and welcome.

4. I don’t see how to change it on profile but in Ohio, Dayton area. The truck used to be my dad’s. He bought it for $500 from an old friend when he was in his early 20’s which was a little over 40 years ago. Been sitting ever since until recently. Thank you!

5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Check similar trucks up through roughly '52, & on the Ford v8 section as well.

Christopher Miller likes this.
  6. You’re right. It has dual wheels in the back and originally a wooden bed. Thank you for your input!

7. adam401

adam401

Dont know where you're located but I know of a 37 truck thats 500 bucks for the whole thing and it has dual rear drive axles. Truxtel axle or something like that. That would have your transmission in it though

Christopher Miller likes this.
  8. Chris, update your info at your acct under personal details by clicking on the single silhouette under the STORE near the top of the page, change your info and at the bottom of the page click on SAVE. That ought to do it.

9. Sorry about your transmission,,,I can’t help on that.
    However,,,I can offer some encouragement,,,,very proud to see you bringing this truck back to life.
    I assume the Flathead runs ok,,,judging from the clean carb and generator.
    I’m really excited for you,,,,keep working on it !

Tommy

10. 0nedon

0nedon

Hey Chris- I bought some old motors that had been pulled prob. 39 years ago couple have trannys on them and they were trucks. P.M. me or give me a call. If it will work you can have one, just pay shipping. I'm in central Ks.

11. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED!!

13. ^^^^^^he said he was in Dayton, OH

14. Located near the Dayton, Ohio area. Thank you!

15. Thank you so much, I will look into it on my work break later on, this app is new to me but finding it very helpful

16. Thank you so much, irs been a roller coaster of fun and challenges. I’ve had it running and it ran nice, good observations

17. Thank you so much for this! Very interested, I will be in touch about this and will text you on my work break later this evening

18. I gave three of them to the scrapper last year

19. Not perfect my any means but this is my first shot at trying to make up my own replacement panels and it’s not too bad. Rust destroyed a lot of the drivers side sadly. I’ll have to bust out the welder later on and put all the pieces all on. Progress continues into 2020
    IMG_0148.JPG IMG_0150.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_0149.JPG

20. While I don’t have pictures of this metal fabrication, it was one my father helped me with as it was very complicated. It had a lot of rust damage and it was front the drivers side as well. IMG_2595.JPG IMG_3226.JPG IMG_5125.JPG IMG_5175.JPG IMG_5174.JPG IMG_5178.JPG

Okie Pete, seaflea and rusty valley like this.
  21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Impressive work on the patch panels! You're 17? I'd say you have a hell of a future ahead of you.:)

22. Tedious work, you are doing well for your first project.

23. Great job,,,,I’m proud to see you are doing this.
    It’s a lot of work to be sure !
    Keep at it,,,,,it can be overpowering,,,,and people give up part way through the project.

Tommy

24. adam401

adam401

Great job. Thats how they get done. One piece at a time. Keep at it!

25. Thank you! Means a lot, especially when it gets frustrating

26. Thank you! I started with mopeds when I was much younger, big transition but totally gonna be worth it

210superair likes this.
  27. It’s a lot for sure, little by little is the plan for now. At first it was overpowering but little goals like having the cab rust free makes it easier. Complete goal is 2021 prom, which is my senior prom so still got some time left.

210superair and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  28. Thank you!