Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 29 RPU- "Street/Strip" B/SR Build - Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Dec 19, 2019.

1. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    The TruTrac design is from what is now Eaton. There have been several companies that have made them over the years. The one you have may be from Stock Car Products as they are the only ones I know of that hand engraved numbers on them. The ones I have had here started with a "B" prefix.
    Dan Press made a ton of them with Gold anodizing on the aluminum end caps, thus the name "Gold Track".
    He made changes as he went and it's hard to get exact replacement parts. There was also a Diamond Track made by Frank Loverock in CA. Frank was a SCP employee before going out on his own. The Diamond Tracks had little set screws to retain the end cap bolts. I didn't see them on yours. Winters still makes their own unit called.............................Wait for it.........................................................................Winters Track. Their current unit has red end caps and are laser engraved with part numbers and serial numbers.

These units are very tough and very smooth. You shouldn't have any problems with any of them for your application. When you first mentioned 'locker' I was going to caution you on using a 'Detroit Locker' more correctly called a 'No Spin'. While they are tough, they tend to be noisy and sometimes feel 'notchy' when cornering.
    The only time I recommend them is for an almost all drag race car with hardly any street service.
    You should take it apart and check for chipped or worn gears and cracked thrust plates. I do have some serviceable pieces, but would need you to send me any broken stuff so I can match it up. This isn't likely;)

I stole Swade's Avatar to use for a change, but I'm going to change it again because I can't concentrate when I answer questions here:p

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Marty Strode I'll be watching but don't forget to finish that 40 PU. I may be needing more advice. :cool:

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Billy, the 40 is leaving for paint this Sunday !

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^I cant wait to see it. You are a hell of a builder Marty. Keep it up.

5. That's an understatement! ^^

6. Off to a great start! Thanks for taking the time to share your builds. I always enjoy studying them and learning new things.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Flamed48

Flamed48

8. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Found it...catch up with you soon

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@SamIyam built those and I know he drove the blue pickup 150 miles to win the yahoo cup at the hamb drags a few years ago. I think “streetable” has more to do with who’s sitting in the seat than what the seat is bolted to :)

10. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I'm going to follow this thread because it's fun to watch Marty build things. Marty, I've always replaced the stock bed supports with rectangular tubing, then hang the suspension from that. I like the way you installed the rear crossmember.

chryslerfan55, Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dale, most people like to watch me race, I tend to drive more than the measured 1320' ! Are you all settled in your new digs ?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks for the kind words Gentlemen, I will do my best to make this a fun build. Things are sort of in limbo, I decided not to complete the engine/ trans mounting until I get the radiator. My choice is a Walker 4 row, as cooling on the street can be tough, and it will be after the Holidays before it shows up. The next thing will be to remove the cowl fuel tank, and the center of the firewall, and bolt on the body and box. Also, I will be starting, perhaps my last Track Roadster, very soon, so look for a thread on that one as well. Merry Christmas to all.

13. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Lol. Sometimes the strip gets really short doing that. Just about. Finishing up the electrical next week, then some air and water lines. Then, we can start working and figure out if things need to move around. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dale, did you make it to Fremont when I had just finished the restoration of the Bizio truck ? Tom Willford let me shake it down for him. Jeff Cryan current driver sent me this as a reminder. It always makes a chill run up my back !

15. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Damn that truck...

16. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

No Marty, I missed that one. Looks like a "fun "ride.

loudbang and HunterYJ like this.
  17. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

I'll never forget the shoes flying across the pits at Woodburn either...Had no idea that a Hemi could wind that tight

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Yesterday, I pulled the fuel tank, and was amazed that it didn't break any bolts in the process. Today, I set the body in place, so I can start trimming the firewall for clearance. Being an amateur restoration, notice the surface rust in the places that didn't get painted. The next chore is to neutralize the fuel tank. I fill tanks with bleach and water, and let them set overnight, so I can safely remove the bottom of the tank with a slitting wheel. IMG_3741.JPG IMG_3742.JPG IMG_3743.JPG IMG_3745.JPG IMG_3747.JPG IMG_3748.JPG

20. I'm amazed none of the bolts broke. When I stripped my first RPU down, every single bolt holding the tank broke.

bchctybob, Outback, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  21. SquintBoy

SquintBoy

That 80 yr old truck didn't see ONE Wisconsin winter! Great sheet metal to start with. Gets you almost half way there before you start. Still lots of work but none at the body shop! Love your project.

Sent from the red phone

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's 90 years old, and far from perfect, but a great candidate for what I will be doing with it. Dean, I looked the gas tank bolts over, some were original, most had been replaced during the rebuild in the 60's or 70's. That explains why it came apart so easy.

23. SquintBoy

SquintBoy

Yep, don't know what I was thinking...I shoulda known 90 yrs as my '29 AV8 coupe is the same. At least I didn't cut something too short! Mark
    Sent from the red phone

loudbang likes this.
  24. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

I've haven't worked on mine for while , but your giving me some inspiration IMG_4416.JPG

25. Hey, that's my video, took that with a Kodak camera that you couldn't refocus once you started recording, but it gave it an old timey look..ha ha

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I thought that was yours. Great job, incredible audio !

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We could have some fun at Toutle, while we can.

28. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to be following along, Marty. Seems like you've got about half the build complete already; I'd still be finding parts and making little sketches...

While I don't think that any copies of the Torsen Gleason diff are equal, the SCP and DPI are quality pieces. I've run all 3 in my TransAm and Craftsman Truck series days. Fun Fact: We swept the Northwest swing of the truck series in '97, stopping at Dan Press's shop to do our maintenance and repairs enroute from winning at Portland to winning at Everett. Poles at both, too. The underrated Rich Bickle drove for us that year.

vic

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Good to have you aboard Vic, hope to see you at Speedweek this year. BTW, Jim has the Lakester in a container ready to ship down under, for the March Meet at Lake Gairdner. As my Aussie buddy pronounces it, Lake Gad-Nuh. Lindsay's car in container.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

DEE-lighted to see you doing the R.P/U, at long last, Marty. Was afraid you were going to get 'swamped' with other lucky fellas' projects, and forfeit precious time to do one for yourself.
    Nice work on the frame rear, kickup is the traditional 'Zee' step...seldom seen lately.
    Will the firewall be welded or will you make a formed sheet aluminum bolt-in relief for the mag?
    Thanks for having us as guests. I live for this...

brad2v, Ranchero59, loudbang and 2 others like this.