Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Utillity Trailers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G V Gordon, Jan 28, 2013.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

May be a bit OT but I thought I would share a couple of vintage utility trailers I have picked up over the past month.

The green one is a Sears Roebuck and Co. trailer, guessing it is 40's / 50's. Has 16" rubber.

The second one is a homebuilt but there was definitely some thought and fabrications skill involved in building it.

It has a Chevy pick up axle under it and is built from angle iron and plate that looks like it come from a refinery. The front has rounded corners and it has 2" pipe stake pockets in the corners. Has a working tail gate and a spare tire mount.

I am a sucker for old industial stuff so these were hard to pass up. If it's too OT feel free to delete.

Attached Files:

2. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

3. I have/had a Sears,Roebuck & Co. trailer exactly like that,but I loaded it to my brother in law,,20 years ago,,thanks for reminding me to go get it!:D HRP

Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.

4. Deuces likes this.
  5. Deuces likes this.
  6. Deuces likes this.
  7. [​IMG]

Home made in the 60s I believe. Everything was drenched in and very well made.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and Torana68 like this.
  8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Back in about 1980 or so I built a single axle trailer to haul motorcycles on out of three in channel iron .I used the leaf springs that I had replaced out of my 1960 Econoline and added shocks mounted at a 45 degree angle to get the right travel. I even built the drop axle out of square tubing and some Chrysler spindles. I thought all small Chrysler bolt pattern was 4.5 on 5. Well I learned some were different and I got a different one! Well I wanted 4.5 on5 so I grabbed another hub, adapted them to my bolt on spindles, but could not find any seals that would work! Too thin. So I took the hubs and put a bead of silicone where the seal should go and greased my spindles and installed the hubs! Has worked for close to forty years! I aligned the axle by putting shims behind the bolt on spindles. Neat little trailer. Pulled it to Sturgis and Milwaukee and a lot of local places!

Bones

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Deuces and deathrowdave like this.
  9. ...bought this AD trailer, made it into this truck...
    50 gmc build 001.jpg 50 gmc build 007.jpg 50 gmc build 157.jpg

10. I have a very old single horse trailer with 1930s spindles on a very heavy duty pipe and heavy duty springs that look factory made...
    Rocky mountain drum brakes and a pair of Clev-weld wheels 5 on 5.5 pattern 4" wide
    IMG_20191222_092012.jpg

11. rusty valley

rusty valley

i am usually not too fussy, but did you take pictures of the trailer too, or just a bunch of rotten tires?

LWEL9226 and Texas Webb like this.
  12. Hiding behind the tires on the left

13. For small horses:D

iwanaflattie likes this.
  14. That IS funny.

15. sport fury

sport fury

my grandpa built this trailer during WWII. he built it from the front end of a 1929 Nash. the wood has been replaced a few times. rims are agricultural rims. I am the 3rd generation to own it. leafcollector.jpg