Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical power glide to 200-4r

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gordon Reed, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Gordon Reed

Gordon Reed

hello fellow car guys, just picked up a 200-4r and will be swapping out my power glide. I was curious if i can use my existing transmission mount and column shifter from the powerglide on the new tranny. thanks fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What year car?

3. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

No, the mounting surface distance on the 200-r4. Move the mount back to fit. Modify the column to work with the shift arm.

4. What ^^^^^^^^ Said

5. Gordon Reed

Gordon Reed

1965 chevelle malibu

6. Gordon Reed

Gordon Reed

so weld a piece to extend back arm?

7. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Changed a from powerglide to 700-4R in a 64 Chevelle, the rear mount cross-member will slide back on the frame rail, had to shorten the drive shaft 4" for the 700-4R. I think doing the 200-4R is a better deal, the drive shaft will work. with out modifying it :cool: note: had to bump out tunnel clearance for the servo. ( Big .050 Hammer) :eek:

A company called Shift Works makes a new glass for the column shift P-R-0-3-2-1 ;)

Gordon Reed likes this.
  8. Gordon Reed

Gordon Reed

i’ve removed the glass so that if anyone tries to jack the car, they don’t know what gear they are in but i will forsure have to look into that new glass until i get used to it. thank you!

9. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

I swapped in a 200r4 in my ‘64 El Camino awhile back. Drive shaft is the same, trans cross member will move back about 6”. I used 1/4” flat bar steel to extend the mount pad on the inside and bolted/welded them to the frame. Make sure the TV cable has the correct amount of tension or you can burn up the clutches in the trans. Do a search on how to set it properly. Too tight is better than too loose.

Gordon Reed and Tickety Boo like this.