Register now to get rid of these ads!

??shaved door handles on a 57 chevy??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skumbag, Jun 28, 2006.

1. skumbag

skumbag

i'm wanting to shave the door handles on my 57, my questions are, where is the best place to put the door popper? it's a 2 door sedan, what are the best size poppers to use? anyone here evere done this on a 55-57 chevy? any info is appreciated!

thanks,
    matt

2. DelinquentDoll13

DelinquentDoll13

We just did mine.... but I dont have side windows so thats how I get in! When I finally get something together probably going to put it under the car, behind the rocker panel.....

3. Donzie

Donzie

I would suggest NOT putting the buttons down by the rockers, or anywhere you have to use your toe. I had them on my '49 Chevy and if I wanted to take the car somewhere where I was dressed up the toes of my shoes always got dirty. Not real practical. There's lots of other places for the buttons. I saw some recessed in to the stainless side trim, very slick. A common place is in the lense of a spotlight (if yer running them).

4. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

I remember an article in a magazine a while back that showed the installation of magnetic sensors that were placed on the inside corners of the windshield. Then you just waved your keys over that area and the magnetic switch would pop the door solenoids...anyone ever see these or use them?

5. Tony

Tony

I had a friend who had this set up on his pick up. We have registration stickers that have to be placed in the lower drivers corner of the glass, so he put the sensors behind that. There was no way to see them and they worked great..
    Unfortunatly, he's not with us anymore so i can't ask him what set up they were..

6. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

I use seat belt lockouts. You only have to drill a 1/2" hole in the jam and they collapse completely. Here are some photos using some from a 80 Mustangs. Use your imagination, it not hard at all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The magnetic switches are ones used for doing burglar alarms in houses. you need the switch, and a magnet to operate them. Carry the magnet on your key chain. Since the switch is a low amperage device, you have to use it to close a relay, which sends the current to the solenoid. Pretty easy to do. Cheap, as well. you just have to be sure to put the switch behind something that is non-magnetic. Glass, stainless trim, plastic. NOT a steel body!
    In my 54 Chevy, I put it behind the stainless trim on the door, just under where the door handle used to be.