Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Charley Klingler's 1950s RPU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank Carey, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Built by Charley Klingler of Montclair, NJ. I first saw it under construction in 1957 and remember him driving it in the mid-1960s. Had SBC and LaSalle trans. There were two radiators under the nose plumbed in series. When finished it was red with red leather Austin Healey seats and had a one piece aluminum hood with a bubble for either generator or carbs - I don-t remember, which. He sold it to a local guy who put in a Corvette rear and those of us who knew Charley never saw it again. Charley and his friend, Walt Carr, a very early NJ rodder, had scoured area Ford dealers for parts during the early/mid-fifties and had accumulated an extraordinary stash of NOS body parts. I remember stacks of nested front fenders, etc. Over the years I bought several items from them - 34 grille, lower grille pan, 29 windshield frame, and more. I lost track of Charley and Walt after he sold the car and don't know what became of their parts stash. Would like to hear from anybody with an update on Charley, Walt, or the car.

20191225_093540.jpg

HunterYJ, Stogy, alfin32 and 2 others like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

Charley had a keen eye!

Stogy likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very unusual very well nicely finished Hotrod...any more Pics...it actually looks very well built...

Hope more info is found...

Thanks for sharing @Frank Carey...;)

4. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

5. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

6. catdad49

catdad49

That's a nicely finished hot rod! Hopefully, it's stashed somewhere safe. Thanks for sharing, Carp.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fenders and body look to be 29 Ford and again quite a quality build...thanks for the additional pics @Frank Carey...;)