Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stromberg Stuck Linkage Detent Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Youngin', Dec 16, 2019.

1. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

@uncle max @

Out of all the threads and videos I've watched, I've only heard about them getting stuck and nothing about how to remove one that's stuck.

Any suggestions? This makes two that I've got stuck. The first one was crusty and, in hind sight, I thought I should have got it unstuck before I bead blasted- thinking that the grit may have made it worse. This one, is stuck too.

I've tried a little heat, penetrating oil, patience and even pecking with a hammer and even as easy as I was, they pot metal moved a little..

stuck detent.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

They are steel right? How about sticking your MIG wire to it and then yanking it out?

loudbang likes this.
  3. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

hmmm that might work....I'd like to save it......and I'll need to take a magnet to it to see if it's stainless....

4. alchemy

alchemy

Don’t worry about saving it, Uncle Max has a hundred of them at a reasonable price. Or ask him about his locking pins for use on secondary carbs.

5. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have drilled up, from the bottom on an angle, with a 3/32" bit.
    Be sure to drill far enough back so you penetrate the spring.
    Then pry/wiggle it out with a scribe or small punch.
    Dress the detent hole with a small round file.
    The hole will be unseen.

6. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

There's what I was looking for! If I can save it, that would be great. I just can't stand leaving it lay there and I can't pitch it.....I might have a bad spell cast upon me! Maybe a little compressed air in the hole may send it flying across the shop. @alchemy THEN what, do you suggest I do with it after I buy one from UncleMax? You are blasphemous! hahaha

"No Strombergs were killed or injured during this post. . ."

Hmmmmm, maybe.....

7. I have removed many of the pins and springs. here is how I have done it. Use penetrating oil on the pin, tap the pin to see if it will move further into the hole. I then use a Benz-o-matic propane torch to heat up the air horn, still tapping the pin, be careful as the pin has a spring behind it, and I have had some pins pop out, and fly across the room. You can carefully put a shop rag over the pin to contain the pin if it comes out suddenly. I also use a pick to gently pry around the pin to free any debris that may be in the hole. When the pin and spring are out, I ream the hole out slightly so the pin / spring assembly won't stick in the hoe again.

Flathead Youngin' likes this.
  8. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

All good advice... Unfortunately I've tried every single one....penetrating oil, heat gun, small pick, pecking it in (went in and stuck!) compressed air, and honest to goodness, I lightly pecked the side and bent ever so slightly. I'm sure this just made it worse. I even tried to take a punch and reshape the edge I collapsed. I'll give the drill bit a shot and see how it goes....

THEN I might just have to order one from Max...haha