Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gennie, Lokar, American shifter. Which one to get?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodRyan, Dec 18, 2019.

1. hudson48

hudson48

Shiftworks. I used them for a genuine look shifter conversion for a 4 speed auto in the Buick Riviera.
    https://shiftworks.com/

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Great photos. The cars nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

lokar has my vote I had 3 with no problems good stuff

4. I bought a new American Shifter for my 350GM a few years ago when I was collecting parts for a future build. It was marked down to under $200 for some reason. I don't remember all the details but maybe it was from a private party and not HG. I've never installed it (yet) but it appears fairly basic, robust and low tech. Later on, I found out about this dual pattern deal that some or maybe all of these shifters have. Which means, you can pull the shifter sideways, toward the driver, to release the park/reverse detents and not have to press any buttons. It's your choice if you want to keep the button and do the detent dance either way or get a plain knob and just rely on the pull to the side action only.
    Well, I ordered the optional upgrade for the dual-action piece from HG/American Shifter ( because I needed the ability to mount lots of different shift knobs, none of which have buttons) and the first one they sent was junk. It was too tight and wouldn't pivot to the side. I contacted them and they sent another one that seems to work.
    One other thing about the American Shifter; It has a universal look with lots of various straps, links, and braces, like an Erector Set from the 1950s. I guess by switching parts it's adaptable for other trans. So...... there is some potential that something might bend or a nut and bolt loosen over time in the rinky-dink pieces.
    I have it for sale now for $180 on eBay, but I may try it out in my truck if it doesn't sell.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019