Register now to get rid of these ads!

Signs with history

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Halfton65, Jul 20, 2018.

1. 500caddy

500caddy

[​IMG] This sign was for a school my dad went to when they moved to Canada in 1928 it has a lot of coats of paint

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Okie Pete likes this.
  2. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

I sure would love to see more photos of this Ford if possible........Thanks.

3. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The top shot is the original BEAR MFG. neon sign at the plant there in Rock Island Illinois. I shot this shot back in 1973 when I was there briefly for a weekend. I have always thought this is the coolest sign and logo for a particular company. Amazing how 8 years ago we were able to buy this cool neon bear sign , ( middle shot ),that now sits in our front window!
    Bear MFG. sign.JPG
    000_neon bear.jpg
    our house.jpg

4. Halfton65

Halfton65

Just sent this one off for neon. Wilbur Hotel out of Corbin KY; someone separated the marquee ends at some point but with some cutting this thing will display great. 13’ of Black porcelain and Art Deco fonts are hard to beat.

Attached Files:

5. pumpman

pumpman

coke sign.jpg Found this in an old warehouse. Now hangs in our great room.

6. Halfton65

Halfton65

Just got this one back. Colors turned out great

Attached Files:

7. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

This sign was commissioned by my grandfather when I was about 8 years old. He had a neighbor with a very large beef cattle ranch, who would not care for his fences. His cattle would get out and damage my grandparents yard and garden, and he would not do anything about it.

My grandpa fenced off an acre pen, posted this sign, and started corralling the loose cattle. At the end of the first month he had a dozen, and sent a letter to the owner to come get them, and fix his fences, and no charges would be made. He was ignored.

By the third month he had about 40 head, and had been billing for two months. He filed lien and took the first load of 5 to the sale barn... all hell broke loose.

After that, the cattle owner settled his bill and fixed his fences. The sign hung until my grandpa sold the farm
    Now it is about to hang in my living room
    20190814_212942.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bravo Halfton65 .
    That looks fantastic, I know what this cost, so your money is well spent. There should be a small framed black and white photograph of " Mr. Ed " to be in close proximity to your new neon, to see if anybody can connect the dots about the "Wilbur Hotel " and the horse.
    That sign looks great.
    Be well and do well.
    Dennis.

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

This is an old time farmer Buddy of mine . He is a real person to meet . If you are ever passing through , stop by can check his place out . He is always open !

10. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took this off of a machine from Canada that was being scrapped, had it zip tied to the grille of my 65 checker marathon for years . die sinker.JPG new line up 002 (2).jpg

Ron Funkhouser and Okie Pete like this.
  12. One of my favorites in my toy room.... IMG_5799 (2).JPG

13. Fordors

Fordors

F000F2ED-B319-4080-AD39-81B48CAD9E1A.jpeg

This sign is over 40 years old, it hangs near a convenience store in town.
    Apparently the town fathers thought we needed protection from ourselves.

14. My paternal Grandfather owned Braun Lumber Corporation in Detroit. The sign across the street from all of these Chrysler cars was on his building. He supplied lumber for the car bodies built in and around Detroit. Braun Lumber photo.jpg

15. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

That needs to be hanging in my shop.

16. Fordors

Fordors

Tell me about it! I’ve wanted it for years.

17. IMG_0872.JPG

Found this one in the woods behind one of my barns after we moved to the new farm. Yes, those are my size 13s in the picture for scale.

Ron Funkhouser and biggeorge like this.
  18. IMG_1994.jpg IMG_2219.jpg

This sign came from the Badger Munition Plant, just down the road. To minimize risk of catastrophic events, they manufactured the ammunition in small 3 story buildings, rather than one giant building. These hand painted signs were attached to the elevators in each building. The emergency escape routes out of the buildings consisted of slides at every window.

19. A couple of old small town theatre signs that are still in use today. Top one is in Innisfail Alberta. Bottom one is in High River Alberta. The High River theatre is fully restored inside to reflect it's original heritage. Bottom photos.

IMG_2910hdadjb.JPG

IMG_3208hdadjb.jpg

IMG_3194b.jpg

IMG_3189hdadjb.jpg

20. Johnny99

Johnny99

21. RRanchero Rick

RRanchero Rick

In my garage and Not for sale. 11792003_939776636086460_169987063917633660_o.jpg

22. pumpman

pumpman

23. Halfton65

Halfton65

Lacking history but here’s a beer neon I had redone a few weeks ago.

Attached Files:

24. This old sign has a lot of history. The old Valley Diner was the place to eat in the 1950's and 60's. 867.jpg 869.jpg My parents took me there as a kid. I remember the cool old stone fireplace, and nice hardwood floors. It's been abanded for years. But the building, and sign does still exist. Would be cool if someone would restore it. Ron.....

25. I found this in an orchard. It was rolled into a ball by a bulldozer, so the rancher gave it to me. I brought it home, donned two pairs of goggles so the porcelain shards would not get in my eyes and started unfolding it. I got as far as I possibly could and then looked for a spot for it. I think it fits here GREAT! Picture 10039.jpg

26. I like it better that way. But I'm not quite right! I took this picture on our honeymoon. { a sign with history ?} 314.jpg

37hotrod likes this.
  27. IMG_1943.PNG IMG_1944.jpg

I know I've posted this sign elsewhere, but it is one of my favorites. It was a present from a friend when he redecorated his garage. I know that there are other attachments out there for this sign. I missed out on the "motor tune-up" piece on ebay a while ago (still kicking myself). If anyone has one they want to turn loose of, or if you know of any other bits for this sign, let me know.

28. IMG_1611.JPG IMG_1713.jpg IMG_1719.jpg

Took this one off the wall inside a friend's barn before he sold the farm. Been cut in half, and used to cover holes in the wall. Sign is all of about 8 feet long.