Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking for grandpas model a coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikeyjoe, Dec 4, 2019.

1. mikeyjoe

mikeyjoe
    from DETROIT

well I know it's a long shot but it's worth a try so here it goes..... Bare with me since I'm not very good with words but I'm looking for an AV8 coupe my grandfather built in and around 1949/50 it has a few unique features that could help identify it maybe someone on here owns one with these mods or knows of one similar. He owned a gas station/service station a few miles south of Detroit metro airport on middlebelt rd from late 40s threw the 50s and he built it there from the small salvage yard they had out back. It was a 30/31 model a coupe and the modification that would most likely stand out is he flushed the doors so they didn't overlap the 1/4s like all A's do it also had a 49 ford fuel door welded in the 1/4 with the 49 tank in the trunk , auburn dash with 49 merc gauges, 8ba flathead with column shift, 41 front bumper, 41 ford front axle, 36 ford radiator(weird I know) but that's what he had out black. He sold it around 1954? To buy the property he built his house on and always talked and told stories of that coupe as far back as I can remember and he always wanted to find it or build another one just like it but never got the chance to do either so here I am hoping to find that needle in a haystack. The first pic of the coupe painted black with him in it was takin around 1952 and the second pic is from what I think is the car after he sold it I don't know who owned it but the picture was takin at the Detroit autorama circa late 50s? All I can barely read on the club name looks like draggons? Out of Detroit area...... I know it may have been transformed a million times since then or scraped,wrecked, left in a field to rot or whatever but if anyone has a 30/31 model A coupe that has similar mods I'd love to find it. Thanks mikeyjoe

Attached Files:

2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Mike, Cool coupe, I posted a bunch of early Pictures on the Autorama thread, but don’t recall any that look like that coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

stanlow69 likes this.
  3. mikeyjoe

mikeyjoe
    from DETROIT

Yeah there is another pic of it from a different angle when I find it I will post it. I don't know anything about the draggons car club but that's probably the key to locating it's whereabouts if the club or members are still around

4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Bump, good luck and I hope you find it

5. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck, would like to know how he sorted the doors out if possible???

6. Wish you luck also.

7. Also contact the Hot Rods of Dearborn site. It was through there that I managed to find and contact the original builder of my brother's '27.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. I'd say Drag-on's is correct
    rk6.jpg

9. Harms Way posted this a while back in another thread along with the 2nd picture you posted:
    1012.jpg

Boden, stanlow69, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  10. mikeyjoe

mikeyjoe
    from DETROIT

Its got to be out there I'm sure it survived somehow either the way it was last shown or if it's been drastically changed maybe someone here knows of one with similar mods

11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I’ll look through the book Car Club Memories, covers a lot of Michigan clubs. Another person would be Harry McAuliffe he knows a lot of Michigan hot rod club history, he usually has a booth at many of the swap meets. Although he is getting up there in age. If you’re in the neighborhood, stop by and show my dad the photos. I don’t recall any coupes around Detroit with the flush doors, but it could look entirely different.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. mikeyjoe

mikeyjoe
    from DETROIT

I know there is a million model A coupes out there but if it's still out there look for flushed doors , shoebox gas door on 1/4, and it had a complete auburn dash with dual glove box doors but it didn't have the auburn gauges my grandpa welded/leaded the whole 49 mercury gauge cluster in the dash so if it has survived or been transformed over the years those are a few unique features that may have stayed on the car

13. Neat coupe! Looks like Electroline headlights? Good luck with the search...it's out there somewhere!

14. 31Apickup

31Apickup

15. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Mike, look what I found, don't remember where I got this one from

$(KGrHqR,!i4FE!iGcSRJBRH-gcS-ig~~60_12.jpg

chryslerfan55 and stanlow69 like this.
  16. mikeyjoe

mikeyjoe
    from DETROIT

Yes that’s awesome!....... I’m sure it survived in some way or another. You can see the fuel door on the 1/4 in that pic

17. chryslerfan55 and stanlow69 like this.
  18. 31Apickup

31Apickup

So it was repainted and striped by Dick Dean who had south side customs just about that time in Wyandotte. So it was most likely still downriver then.

19. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Maybe you should contact Dick Deans son Kieth Dean at South End Kustoms in Hemet, Ca 951 634-3763

chryslerfan55 and Jim Bouchard like this.
  20. Stop by Teddy Z's place and show him the picture I posted. He might know something.

21. EDIT: Update: See my other post below this one.

Mike:
    Google in quotes "Detroit Drag-ons".
    A link to the 11-21-59 edition of the Windsor Star shows up. You need to register to see the paper clearly but the blurry image of the paper shows what maybe the car. While the spare tire is in the wheelwell, the tire appears to have the same cover as the car I posted earlier. The article might give some names.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  22. Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and stanlow69 like this.
  23. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Here's a screen shot of that newspaper News Clip.JPG

24. mikeyjoe

mikeyjoe
    from DETROIT

That’s crazy! Where did you find that?

25. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It's from the link that carcruse posted above.

26. I believe that "Louis" in the article was actually Luigi as that was Jack's brother-in-law. He is also no longer with us. I don't know anything about Jack White.

27. 31Apickup

31Apickup

28. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Did you find it?