Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical tire opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Dec 19, 2019.

1. I was going to ask the same thing??? I thought maybe I logged into the wrong forum when people were commenting on radials looking better than tires that look like bias on a pre-war Ford... Then there was the SVO mustang thread earlier too. Not sure what is happening here. :rolleyes:

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing &
    No...:D

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  3. upspirate

upspirate

That thread is dead

4. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

I like the skinny ones....

5. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Both have their own thing going on. I personally prefer the old style much better. Now lose the caps and rings and let us see that look. Oh and with the top down.

6. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I like the "bias" look radials much better. I have a set of those on my 65 Corvette and really like them. Good job! Even though they're radials, and act like radials, they fit the look of old cars better IMHO. The only thing better would be real bias ply tires. That Coker also sells.

upspirate, Stogy and guthriesmith like this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-12-21_3-38-42.png upload_2019-12-21_3-38-54.png
    Hello,

IMHO, there is no contest. The first shot says… “HOT ROD AND I MEAN BUSINESS.” The second says… “hot rod and please let me pass...” There is no substance for big and little tires as the first edition says it all. You made a good choice for those tires and wheels. The red rims and accessory hubcaps make it great. No doubt, the tires will handle either way, but there has to be some accountability for a roadster rolling down the highway. Substance and looks…the way to go in anyone’s hot rod.

Now, the second is the one you probably chose, because someone mentioned it has a traditional look, which it does. Those bias ply style tires can go on your other full-fendered, sedans or station wagons. Not on a fender less roadster...YRMV

Jnaki

What ever the choice, your roadster has the cool look. The big radial tires make it look so much better as far as substance and looks.

8. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

Car looks way better with the skinny radials.

BigO and guthriesmith like this.
  9. Muckler

Muckler
    from NH USA

Looks how it would have looked in the 50's with the skinnys.
    I like it

10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I think its a shame to cover lug nuts up. They look so cool, especially when they are chrome.. Pontiac made lug nuts fashionable with there Kelsey Hayes 8 lug wheel-drum combo..

The tires look great... Radials with the sidewalls shaved also look nice..

43229.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  11. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some places the signs are more of a guideline.;)... Depending if you're on your cell or not.

clem likes this.
  12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Naahhh! Go even wider........ Skinny tires are for bicycles.:D

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I don't believe the bias look radials are really much skinnier, if at all. The tread width might be less, the section width looks about the same. The bias look radials are taller, and to me they look like radials with a bias type tread vulcanized on top, which I think is pretty much what they are.

14. I like my regular bias tires the best, but I am old and slow!:rolleyes:

guthriesmith and Stogy like this.
  15. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And here I thought you weren’t cool unless you were biased.

Stogy likes this.
  16. slowmotion

slowmotion

jnaki likes this.
  17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'm always about using components for a purpose when building street rods. The whole idea driving hot rods was to build something that was faster when you got it done, or as it evolved along the way. I hate seeing builds where people use stuff that obviously doesn't work. I recently saw a picture of a roadster where the builder had a supercharger on his engine. He topped it off with a carburetor adapter that held 3 four barrel carburetors. The adapter necked down to actually have an intake opening the size of one 4 barrel carb before entering the supercharger. It was rediculous, but I guess the builder thought it "looked unique". All it says to me is that the finished car is probably not very fast.
    I look at all the newer cars in magazines and see where someone has built a 1,000/1500/2000 Hp twin turbo engine and has the dyno results to prove it.......but no time slips. The owner has these wide but very small sidewall tires that won't flex and bite. Its gonna smoke the tires and it ain't going to be able to get off the line. To me, I appreciate a build where things logically "add up" to the final result. When I see that someone has adapted a more powerful engine in a vehicle, but uses tires that most likely can't support that level of power, .........well it just boggles my mind.o_O
    I think the beauty of any vehicle is first about how well its mechanically designed to work, and the astetics should meld around those factors. Others seem to think the mechanical aspects should work around the astetic factors of a car.
    Guess thats why some think the narrower tread width looks better and some of us think the wider tread looks better.
    Nice car though!;)

jimmy six likes this.
  18. Muttley

Muttley

Huge improvement.

guthriesmith likes this.
  19. Tall and Skinny like 1950's cars were.

20. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think they did em both ways once wider tires became easily available.........

Tom-McMullen-1932-Ford-Roadster-5.jpg

swade41 likes this.
  21. error404

error404
    from CA

both look great to me :)

22. It looks more like a traditional car with the bias-plys .

23. This car is a late 50's early 60's build and at first had skinny tires, later the 70/80's look above, which just looks funny like a kids slot car.
    [​IMG]

clem, D-Russ, Muttley and 2 others like this.
  24. When it had the original 50's look
    [​IMG]

akoutlaw, D-Russ, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  25. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

I can't help it...skinny rear tires just look low performance. Depends what decade within traditional you wish to reproduce.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  26. I still can’t get over the replies on this thread. The fat rear radials take the car right into 70’s or newer era. I thought this was the HAMB and a traditional forum? Anyway, car looks great and “right” with the bias look radials.

27. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I bought a set of wheels that came with an old set of G-70-15 bias plys. Just for the hell of it I put them on my 69 el camino just to see how they handled. I have to admit they rode smoothly and the handling wasn't that bad considering they were 20 years old.. What I really liked is how they let you know they were loosing grip where as radials just let go, bias plys start to "sing". I think if these companies would put a little more into bias plys we could have our cake and eat it too..
    By the way, my el camino has a fully updated suspension front and rear. I was really surprised at how well they handled..

Blues4U likes this.
  28. I couldn't believe the improvement in handling and ride when I went from bias to radials !

upspirate likes this.
  29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

maybe Santa can help 20191218_221905.jpg

ekimneirbo likes this.