Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Cars of the Stars/ Movie world, Buena Park CA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by battersea boys, Feb 2, 2013.

1. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

I went there with Steve "Steve's Paintin' Place" Johnson for the 1st Rat Fink Reunion,which was co-incidently,my 30th birthday. Got to b.s. with Roth...Dutch was walking around with a long-barrell'ed .45 on his hip. I asked him "Why the piece? His answer "The paranoids are out to get me..."

2. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Hello- I just finished reading about the ED ROTH restored Mysterion, so I fingered I would some of my info regarding the museum. In early 1970, I was visiting in Calif., as a car buff I went to the museum, very little people were attending. I took many pics. and meet ED ROTH, we talked about cars, and he showed me around to some of the things he was working on. What I remember was the chicken wire molds, then the plaster to shape things, Corvair engine, or what was similar. I have check my old, old photo collection to see what I have.
    Regards,

3. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Please post you photos !

4. I was there in the summer of 1967. I bought a package of, I believe, 3 ViewMaster reels of the cars. I'll have to see if they are still around at my parents place.

5. fuzzface

fuzzface

Professor fate's cars (3) were in the Volo collection in Ill. a few years back. The 6 wheeler, the one on the track and I believe the scissor lift car. They wanted $350,000 for the set.

6. Colin HD

Colin HD

Time I got there, it was all over.
    But got to meet Roth at Knotts, took me backstage, them at lunchtime to me to his home to see Globehopper, which he was very proud of.

Attached Files:

7. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Ed worked there and then went to Knotts as a sign painter. I have pictures of the Professor Fate car someplace. Cars of stars also had some great motorcycle swap meets.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I was there in the early 1970's the Jim Jacobs restored Niecamp roadster was there on display. All my photos were on slides back then, still have them, wish I could share them. There was a nice two man MILLER that looked like it was last run on the street. Hope that one is restored today. Bob

9. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 37,
    That place was a few blocks from my wife's family home from 1956-until she moved out. But, don't give up on your color slides...Those color slides will degrade over time and will be lost forever. There are two ways to get those slides converted to digital format. One: go to a photo reproduction business and they can copy all of your color slides on to a solid state flash drive, not a CD or DVD. Tell them how many slides you have and they will tell you how big of a flash drive you need to bring. Why not a CD or DVD? It is harder to copy/save off of either of those formats and they are brittle, like old LP albums. just a little smaller. They are past their prime usage.

Once you get a solid state flash drive, you can transfer them to your own computer files, send them to others, and pick and choose which one you would like to present to the HAMB followers on your posts. If you transfer those slides to digital format, put the flash drive in a safe deposit box with a label. There is no need to have it sitting around and have them accidentally erased or written over with something else. They are now on your computer + laptop storage or on an external solid state hard drive for more security.

The second way to preserve your color slides is to buy a scanner like this one:
    Epson Perfection V600 Photo Flatbed Scanner - 6400 dpi x 9600 dpi They range from $150 up to $250 from various online sources. I have one in my office along side of a regular scanner/printer for daily office use. The v600 has a slide frame that allows drop in slides and when situated on the correct spot on the glass panel, copies the slides perfectly.

Your range of color dpi can go from normal 300 dpi or higher. The higher the resolution, the longer it takes to scan and get it prepped. Most color slides look very good at 600 dpi. I have used the 1200 choice and the results are much better than the faster scanning 600 dpi. But, not worth the waiting time to scan or re-scan.

Jnaki
    Good luck and now, there are options for saving your valuable color slides.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/digitizing-slides-and-photos.1137966/#post-12937207
    upload_2019-12-22_18-12-8.png upload_2019-12-22_18-11-8.png
    NOTES:
    v600 slide holder: Placing Slides in the Holder

You can scan up to four 35 mm slides at a time using the slide portion of the film holder.

Note:

Make sure the white stickers on the back of the film holder and the areas around them are not scratched, dusty, or covered in any way. If the areas are obscured, the scanner may have trouble recognizing your slides in Full Auto Mode.

Do not cover the small holes on the film holder.

Place the film holder on the document table so that it is aligned as shown. Make sure the tab labelled “C” on the film holder fits into the area labelled “C” on the scanner.
    upload_2019-12-22_17-47-47.png
    Place up to four slides in the film holder with the shiny base side facing down. Your images should appear backwards on the side that faces up. Your images should be oriented as shown.
    Note:

Make sure you place the long edge of the slide in the film holder as shown above.
    upload_2019-12-22_17-47-18.png

Make sure you removed the document mat. See Removing the Document Mat.

Close the scanner cover.

To scan your slides, see “Starting Epson Scan” on page 33.

When you are finished scanning slides, be sure to replace the document mat before scanning documents or photos. See Replacing the Document Mat.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you jnaki! I'll look into that after the Holidays. I used to use a SONY camera (wore out four of them) that used a full floppy disk, those photos are also in captivity, hope there is a machine to convert them too. All this stuff is unnatural for me, still don't own a cellphone. Merry Christmas! Bob

Outback, jnaki and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. toml24

toml24

When I was writing my Jalopy book I bought a very expensive Microtek flatbed scanner, which scanned over 1,600 photos with fantastic results and some slides and negatives as well. A good scanner is the best tool a history conservater can have.

Outback, chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Bob,
    Glad to be of some help. Old photos and films are wonderful ways to preserve our own histories. The place I went to had so much stuff to convert just about anything into digital files. I had some old VHS tapes converted to digital films, too. They look just as good if not better than the original. I am sure there are photo transfer companies in your neck of the woods. If not, look online for reputable services and give them a call.

But, that Sony Camera is familiar. If it records and has a 3.5 floppy disk, there are several companies that sell new 3.5 drives that plug into computers and laptops. (Amazon) So, that might be the easiest way to transfer your saved photos.

upload_2019-12-23_4-10-21.png
    https://www.amazon.com/External-Flo...WZ1249MKJCE&psc=1&refRID=15R3Q1WJHWZ1249MKJCE

Jnaki
    At any rate, glad to be of some help. I opened up a whole new world when I got my 60 year old 16mm color films, that I took back then, digitized. Now, those digital files are very important as I somehow recorded history without even knowing it then. The original films are still in their original cans, but the digital world has now taken over.

Hopefully, you can get your historic photos off of those disks and allow us to view them. We all learn from history, especially if you recorded it back then.

The37Kid likes this.
  13. Dan MacPherson

Dan MacPherson

Cars of stars may be gone but Planes of Fame is still with us at Chino Airport.

14. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

was there ever a book of the place and the cars?

15. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

If anyone has photos, etc. please post!!

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

This book was more about Scan_20230411.png Cars of the Stars. But there were a few pic`s of the cars in the museum.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
    Rice n Beans Garage likes this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have the Von Dutch Beeplefleetzer. He built it when he worked at movieworld. They had amusement park rides there and the beeplefleetzer was connected to a photo eye and when people came off the ride called the "fun tube" it went off

18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just when I think you've got the most odd ball stuff, you add to it with this one.
    When you hit your head in 64, the damage was very permanent and deep......very deep. :D

57 Fargo and LOST ANGEL like this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

20. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

somebody with more money than sense should start this up again.

21. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload_2023-4-12_6-31-38.jpeg
    There's a lot of OT pics to be seen by Googling ''cars of the stars museum images''.
    Here's a couple that fit here.
    Maybe not the trike.

22. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

23. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

that was the 48 chevy from High School Confidential built by barris for the movie. A friend bought it at a auction. said to pin striped by roth or von dutch when it was there?

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I bet it was hard to get a good picture with all the signs and stuff in the way. Scan_20230412.png

Moriarity likes this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello B,

We are still interested in your source of old photos from a full floppy disk. If you mean 3.5 inch disk, then it is simple. Look below:
    upload_2023-4-12_11-24-12.png
    They still advertise the small floppy disc drive that hooks up to a USB opening in laptops and home computers. Slip in the disc and it reads to your file. Amazon.com
    upload_2023-4-12_11-24-55.png
    But, since you said "full floppy disk," that might mean the old 5.25 inch floppy disks we had to use in our old Apple 2 drives or IBM floppy drives to get any information from the disk to the computer. We even had an Atari 5.25 drive to use programs and games for our old TV screens, back in those early days.

So, if that is the case there is a company in So Cal that does transfers of information and photos off of a 5.25 inch floppy disk. Yes, transfers and yes, from a 5.25 inch floppy. At least they advertise it that way. here is the link and phone number to call and ask.

https://www.floppydisk.com/transfer
    upload_2023-4-12_11-26-56.png
    The building is in a fairly modern industrial tract and could still be in business. The pandemic did a number on a lot of businesses. Call and ask your questions, first.

I know it is hard to send out the original to someone unknown or across the country. Look for a company in your own area that does conversions from a floppy disk to a flash drive. The old 5.25 inch ones are gone and the units that hooked them up to modern computers can be had for high dollar. But that is where those companies are for, access to their processing abilities. Try “digital photo transfer services” on a search in Ridgefield, CT should give you plenty of resources.

If it is a 3.5 inch disk, then buy the little flat converter drive and insert your old floppy disk it should be picked up right away from your laptop or home computer network. Now all you have to do is copy, save to a file on your laptop, then pick and choose. If the photos need help, use your own photo program and clean them up. Or send them to me via HAMB conversation and I will try my best.

Jnaki

The Buena Park location was right down the street from my wife’s old house. She went to the movie theater plenty of times, but only a few times to the museum. After we were married, we went to the car shows in the giant parking lot along with the swap or other hot rod events. Once for a museum tour was enough for me and the outside events were so much better. YRMV