Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Never knew it would be this enjoyable...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50DropTop, Dec 22, 2019.

1. 50DropTop

50DropTop

The last couple of weekends have been rainy and messy; not good weather for doing much of anything. This weekend has been much nicer, so yesterday I took the ‘36 out...had to run to work for a couple hours. Since finishing it, it’s become my weekend knock around ride which I have thoroughly enjoyed, much more than I really expected. If the weather is nice (not raining since I don’t have a wiper), you will likely find me hitting the streets of my small town in my ‘36 Ford 5W. With this, I’ve realized I haven’t enjoyed my other cars as much as I should; I’ve been missing out.

Due to concern over getting a door ding in a parking lot, I previously only took my cars out for ‘sanctioned’ events; typical events where old cars would gather. This was sometimes a dilemma for me as I’m not a big car show guy; meaning I can’t sit at a car show all day. Work, life and 2 kids tend to sometimes inhibit an all day event as well; plus I usually get bored unless there’s a swap meet area ;). Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy attending them to see the beautiful work of others, but I’m not one to enter my car for an all day kind of show. Cruise ins I enjoy, but these are mostly held in the Spring and Fall. In my town, there’s no weekly cars and coffee or cruise ins; no local hot rod shop or body shop where car guys gather. So admittedly, I limited myself on opportunities to enjoy our hobby.

This ‘36 has opened up a whole new perspective to me on enjoying our hobby, whether by myself or sharing it with someone in the parking lot of Lowes, it’s been eye opening. Who knew everyday life could be better by just introducing a hot rod :confused:, even going to the grocery store for tampons (in the ‘36 of course) puts a smile on my face....I know, weird right:cool:.

This got me thinking, how do others ‘enjoy’ their hot rod or custom? Is there something else I’ve been missing out on?

2. I enjoy my old cars by driving them just like I do my new ones, every where and anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

seb fontana likes this.
  3. You had me all the way until you said, " even going to the grocery store for tampons (in the ‘36 of course) puts a smile on my face....I know, weird right:cool:.

Damn, if I would have told that! o_O

Driving & enjoying my hot rod is exactly why my old beater has stayed that way all these years.

I don't want door dings but if it happens I'm not going to worry about it, I drive my old beater to work, the hardware store, even to the grocery store (not to purchase any feminine hygiene products) or Lowes, I love driving my hot rod, that's why we build them, right? HRP

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  4. 50DropTop

50DropTop

Well, let’s say the trip to and from are enjoyable....there’s still the awkward smile when checking out. :oops:

catdad49, 3W JOHN and loudbang like this.

5. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Put some rainX on the windscreen and daily drive her....

31Dodger and pitman like this.
  6. I just got back from Wal Mart drivin my 36 (Avatar) in the fog, and park it just like I do my Daily. No big thing. Just use em, they are just a car.

partsdawg, jvo and harpo1313 like this.
  7. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

My 48 Chevy is called my T T racer, Tavern to tavern, and I enjoy it very much, LOL

8. missysdad1

missysdad1

I made this same decision when I had a really nice show-worthy Malibu vandalized when I took it to lunch one day. Why they did it I have no idea, but I vowed I'd never own another car that would make me as mad as I felt when I discovered what they had done to the car I'd spent years bringing to perfection. And I haven't. Every car I have built since then has been nice, but not to the degree that a ding or scratch would upset me. Life is just too dang short.

Blues4U, jvo, jim snow and 3 others like this.
  9. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Mine are not the show car type of ride anymore. No more worries. Just dependable and driver friendly. Way more fun for me and way more miles put on them.

loudbang likes this.
  10. 50DropTop

50DropTop

HRP, you’re exactly right...this is why we build them. What’s ironic to me is that I rarely see others enjoying their cars as we describe, even though most of the replies are just to drive and enjoy them. I live in a small town (approximately 8,000) and at the last advertised cruise in there were over 300 cars in attendance. Yet, it my everyday travels I rarely see any of the 300 owners out in their cars. Not judging them for not daily driving them, but man, they’re really missing out. Maybe it is the distinction between a ‘daily beater’ and a ‘restored collectible’ that makes the difference; at least it has been for me.

11. 50DropTop

50DropTop

Exactly, build em nice but not too perfect to enjoy! It’s a shame it took me 15 years to realize this. I’ve got some catching up of lost time to do.

Tim and catdad49 like this.
  12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I make shit up just to go out. Lately me and Mrs. Nochop get in and go to a little French bakery in the morning for a fat pill and coffee.

arkiehotrods, jvo, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

I've done over 22,000 miles with this view. Driving them is what it's all about.

IMG_20190910_111401807.jpg

14. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wife & I drove from upstate NY to Wyoming several years ago on a 2-week trip in our '37 Chevy rumble seat coupe. It's a fairly stock car, ecept for a 236 6 cyl, an overdrive in the torque tube and a 60-year-od re-paint. We put about 3,500 miles on it and treated it as any of our newer cars - parked in public parking lots of restaurants, motels, and even a mall movie theater and on the streets of any small towns we (she) wanted to go "shopping" in. Never had any problems, door dings or anything stolen. We did however, made dozens of aquaintences along the way.

nochop likes this.
  15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Is it just me? I was expecting a tale from a young guy and his "virginal" encounter?

hotrodjack33 and razoo lew like this.
  16. Yeah i was thinking masturbation for sure :D

hotrodjack33 and nochop like this.
  17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

my ex wife was a home health care nurse, I got sent to the store to get Adult Diapers for her clients. At least with feminine products the cashier would assume you are being a good husband and they are not for you!

18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Your a sick sick person, funny though...

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  19. In my younger, car owning, days, I lived for a while in Chicagoland. They have these woodsy parks they call "Forest Preserves" where I and maybe a buddy or two would go on a nice weekend day and give our cars a "two-bucket car wash". The Preserves had nice, paved parking near old style, manual crank, water pumps for filling the buckets as often as needed. We played a radio while we washed, had cold drinks, snacks, and if the fates were smiling, a girl or two along. There was never a rush and so the wash could easily become a "detail". Shirts and shoes were optional when the actual wet work was going on. (I'm too old to take my shirt off in public now days. I do notice it attracts the buzzards, though.)
    It was quality time with a favorite possession and friend(s). Nothing organized, no rules and I didn't have to spend time the day before getting ready. The "getting" was the whole point. It never seemed like a chore out there in the park.

Chili Phil likes this.
  20. Drive, break, fix, repeat.
    I try not to drive after the salt is on the road... mainly because I want to put off anymore body work and paint costs as long as possible, I will drive in the rain if I get caught in ot or it is a preplanned event that gets rained on... the 4" wide bias plus ain't much good on damp/wet roads and it can be a little nerve racking.
    Other than that I drive it as often as I can.
    Chappy

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man glad you finally figured it out. Start taking some little road trips. A two lane highway looks entirely different threw that windshield. It’s a time machine for sure!

50DropTop likes this.
  22. 50DropTop

50DropTop

Oh wow....I feel for you brother!! Funny thing is that it wasn’t the wife that sent me, she knows that would be an experience neither of us would enjoy (kind of like me asking her to go to a swap meet). But when your teenage daughter comes to you when mommy isn’t around, then a dads gotta do what a dads gotta do. But doing it in a hotrod sure does make for a better time.

Algoma56 likes this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We loved driving our 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. The 327 powered sedan delivery was a little bit more enjoyable than the Flathead powered sedan delivery I had in high school. That one was a teenager’s car that took us to new adventures every weekend. There was nowhere it could not go, except up to Big Bear Mountain, in the local So Cal mountains. It just did not have the power to get up that steep road. It probably could in 1st gear, but that would have been a slow slog up hill.

Despite the lack of power, that Flathead powered sedan delivery during high school was irreplaceable. It gave us a new way to look at our surroundings, visit new places, and it gave us the timeless teenage quote as to why driving is so cool… “FREEDOM.”

upload_2020-1-28_4-24-20.png Flathead version
    We knew the power it took as there were several steep grades along the So Cal coast line and those were definitely 2nd gear runs, even with the 60+ mph downhill start and boost on the other side of the sloping road. It eventually had to be shifted to 2nd just to make the steep grade. 3-4 people, two-three 50 lb surfboards and stuff, made too much extra weight to cruise up those steep hills in 3rd.

So, before we even attempted to go up the road to Big Bear Lake and Mountain Range area, we took the 1958 Impala instead. Now, that car had power for any steep road. After a few adjustments, it had more power up in the higher altitudes for a pleasant road trip.
    upload_2020-1-28_4-25-12.png 327 version
    During this same time period of owning the 327 powered sedan delivery, we also bought a Harley Sportster. We did some custom additions and modified it for a little better power and looks. Now, that was fun to ride on a cool crisp morning. My wife and I hopped on and went on a 40+ minute ride South along the coast, to a favorite beach side location almost every weekend. Those were the only times the Harley got first choice for a weekend ride vs. taking the 1940 327 powered sedan delivery out for an extended day cruise. If the weather was leaning toward being somewhat on the inclement side, then the sedan delivery took over our enjoyment.

When we were surprised at a new addition to our family, guess which one had to go first? The Harley went to a young couple from So Cal’s South Bay region. It was a simple decision as there was no room for a third person in our situation. The sedan delivery stayed a few months, then also went to another young couple. We could not get the third seat to fit correctly in the back of the sedan delivery.

Jnaki

But, there is no substitute for taking a weekend road trip or long distance cruise in a hot rod or custom. Sure, it is nice in a modern all-wheel drive station wagon, but it would be just as nice, today, in a hot rod.

24. 1ton

1ton

Over the years, I've had some cars in primer and drove them this way. Bothered some people. I didn't give a rats ass because it was mine. I like to say to those kinds that it's kinda like my pecker, it's mine and I can do whatever I want with it. And I admit to the fact that I beat my cars.

thegreenbuzzer likes this.
  25. unfinished

unfinished

I live in Tennessee near the KY border. The past two years I drove my 36 Plymouth (4.3 Chevy motivated) to the Frog Follies. Last year I drove my 1965 El Camino to Pigeon Forge Shades of the Past and then again down to Biloxi MS for Cruising the Coast. I agree that the road trips are great. Plan on doing it even more. Each winter weekend that the weather cooperates I make it a point to get one of the old cars out for my mental health.

26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

27. gene-koning

gene-koning

That is how our old coupe got 60,000 miles on it. Get in and drive it, any excuse will work.
    We take the coupe on vacations, our coupe has been in 26 states. My avatar is my wife and I near the top of the Rocky Mountain National Park in May of 2016. That road is closed through the winter and they had just opened the road up for the spring 3 days before. At that point, the car was 1300 miles from home. I highly recommend taking the old rides on road trips, use the old state highways and stay off the interstate as much as possible. That way you really get to see the USA, its a very pretty country. An old car with out of state license plates is nearly guaranteed to give you a chance to meet a lot of friendly people on the road.

I'd add a wiper at least on the driver side, it makes road trips a lot less stressful if you don't have to worry about getting caught in the rain. Gene

50DropTop likes this.
  28. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

From spring to fall, if I have somewhere to go, I’ll usually take my 37. Not usually to Lowe’s, not enough cargo room. Working from home, this is the only thing I miss about “going” to work; I can’t drive from the kitchen to my office.

Drive the wheels off it. It’s a car. That’s the point of having them.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

I don't get my hot rod out as much as I should, but when we do i like all the waves and thumbs up and every now and then the occasional car going by filming us with their phone.
    Its always fun to have a few hot rods in a line.
    Or getting questions about the rod while fueling up.
    Maybe this year when the weather gets better and no salt out it will be different with more outings and less parked time.
    It's better warmed up and rolling.