Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mid 1950’s east coast America inspired ‘30 coupe build in Aus

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by El Batidor del mono, Dec 20, 2019.

1. I decided since the spray booth weather has been good to get a set of 16x4 40 wheels I’d had blasted and trued ages ago rubbed out and sprayed in gloss black enamel, I want this thing to have the right look on part not super slick 2k plus it’s cheap and will age well haha.
    Came out pretty nice.
    I’ll let these sit for a while and change over the front tyres and get rid of the powder blue there painted in.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71, Stogy and kadillackid like this.
  2. Subfloor

I know it seems like I jump around a bit, that’s probably cause I do what I can in the time I have spare.

Progress is progress.

I had some hat section folded up out of 1.6mm steel to use as the subfloor for the coupe.

I feel this is a neat way to do it and nice to work with. Once completed you can plug weld the 1.2mm sheet metal floor to it.

Once I started this it began to feel like progress what happening and the body being floppy and constantly off and off the frame was coming to an end.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  3. rcavaliers

rcavaliers
    from downey

Fuxk yeah Des! Thats gonna be a badass coupe! You definetly have an eye for Eastcoast style, LOVE IT!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  4. So that’s my general plan with the subfloor but I had to finalise the clutch linkage and tweak one of the pedals a bit more etc before I started connecting the dots and making the floor and body one.

5. YOU’RE UP TO DATE....

Thanks heaps for checking out my little channeled coupe so far.
    I’m enjoying ticking away on the car and seeing the vision come to life.
    I feel it’s got the mid 50’s channeled east coast vibe I am going for and hope you guys and girls are enjoying checking it out. I’m currently up in NSW for Christmas and the whole place is on fire so once all this craziness is over and I’m back down south I’m going to be hooking into a heap of work and will update this thread.
    Cheers
    Des.
    I’m Des_russell on Instagram and our show Instagram is theboogaloo_ on insta too.

6. Haha thank you man, na just learnt a few things from doing my roadster and had a set plan in my head and just going for it.
    Cheers

kidcampbell71, Stogy and Aaron D. like this.
  7. It’s been great too look back on my progress and think about the multiple trips to the states, doing our kitchen and getting the comet on the road since I started this thing plus the boogaloo haha.
    It’s time to get it done.

kidcampbell71 and Wardog like this.
  8. Hahaha thanks mate. Just like having a go at stuff!

9. Ahhh man I know your Hudson, hows it going. Yeah come on down for the Boog although it’s Ballan now but only a little further for you haha.

10. Heeeyyy man, thanks heaps dude. I love this shit hey.

11. Radiator -

I goy my buddy Norm at Aussie desert coolers to build me a super small flathead radiator out of brass.
    It’s a 5 flow core or some shit to assist with cooling haha.
    All I know is it’s small and fat and heavy.
    He did a neat job and when I got the tabs all right for the grill and set up it looks right at home. Got the old 12v generator on and the new bob drake radiator top pipes and hoses.

[​IMG]

camcrusher, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  12. Dash gauges -

I had this Hollywood panel and a bit of a collection of Stewart Warner gauges.
    I had 2 of the big logo curved glass which was 1954-56 if my memory serves me correctly, I would like the other 2 gauges to match two if anyone has them.
    Not everything has to be ‘period correct’ with me but man if I can get close I dig that kinda shit.
    I’m going to build most of the floor before I start the dash itself to pickup the steering column and Hollywood panel.

[​IMG]

13. F-1 shock mounts lower bracket and brake hose mount.
    I made these out of 6mm steel to look nice and be beefy enough for the lower bolt of the shock mounts and thick enough for the brake hose to fit through.
    Super happy with these.

14. grdra1

grdra1

Des what an awesome build you have going on, love your work, nice size shed to. Glen

15. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good Des, you could even bring it up to Image1_3.jpg the next level :)

16. Haha thank you mate. Shed is progressing with the coupe.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Hahaha I assume this is uncle Charles, no way mate, I’m not ready for the next level haha.

kidcampbell71, Stogy and Dago 88 like this.
  18. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha I assume this is uncle Charles, no way mate, I’m not ready for the next level haha.
    Yes mate, it's Uncle Charles, just trying to help :) :) :)

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/QUOTE]

Stogy likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More Down Under Thunder...What a treat to witness...thanks for sharing this exercise in excellence @El Batidor del mono

loudbang likes this.
  20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

21. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love East Coast style, you have nailed it Des. Joe-Tucci-B-A-1958-Old-Dominion-ManassasVA-Hales-pic-1.jpg Copy%20of%20Ron's%203%20window.jpg 1571329155d17060front.jpg 1571329172f89023c6d17060rear.jpg

22. Thank you man haha I appreciate that.

Stogy likes this.