Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HF shop tools review

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I needed another engine stand so picked up the HF 2 ton one, it's collapsable, which is nice. Built well, but a few of the welds left something to be desired, but it's sturdy a fluck. Never had one with two legs in front...if you have one with just a single leg, either modify it, or get one with two legs.

Also picked up their 3 ton rapid pump floor jack, nice piece for 79.99 on sale, nice feature. Also after bleeding it and adding fluid, didn't leak down a bit after 1/2 hour holding the front of my kids car up...had to test it out;)

2. The only good thing to take out of HF is the cash register

3. Cross bar motel is no fun.^^^^^^

4. Budget36

Budget36

5. 41woodie

41woodie

I own a few things from Harbor Freight but I've made a point of never buying anything from them that lifts or holds heavy weight that I might be under.

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  6. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

I have 2 HF floor jacks never had a problem with either, but I'm smart enough to put it on jack stands once I get it lifted.

7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’m a bit skeptical about tools , I have a lifetime collecting , Snap-On ,Mac,Matco , I have to say I bought a few sets on HF impact sockets to keep in the tool bin of my M35A2 ( a big DEUCE and a HALF !) I have used hell out of them and not one issue to date . I used them , beat on them , hammered on them and I do not see one issue . You be the Judge yourself . Just like many things in life , you don’t know if it’s any good till you try it . Kinda like , never mind , sorry .

8. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I have a set of impact sockets from harbor freight that I bought 20 years ago. Definitely got my money's worth out of them.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Harbor Freight and Walmart two places I don't go to.

leon bee and nochop like this.
  10. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i was there today, bought some stuff over the years , when i wrenched for over 40 years, it was all snap on mac, some things are wearing out, like , impacks, air ratchets, etc, im not going to pay what i used to, some of there stuff works, hate to say it, would rather by american, if you look at some of the stuff the big guys are selling, its not all made in the usa. h f is stepping up some what in quality. take a look at the latest tool boxes. not bad, when you look at snap on. dont shoot the messenger!

11. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I had a Snap On and a Mac floor jack. junked both of them. Bought one from HF, still works great. Snap On never had a good impact, last one I got I had it a couple wks and commented to the Snap On guy that it was lacking on power, he said he could send it in for a rebuild on my dime. Bought 2 from HF 5 yrs ago and still using them. They have a even better one now. 2 sets of $20 impact deep well sockets, haven't broke one yey and they don't round out like Snap On.

12. GTS225

GTS225

Do what I do.....buy the 6-ton stands, and personally derate them to 3-ton. Yes, I've seen broken Chinese cast iron, it ain't pretty.

Roger

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Damn , that scary . If you survived a cast iron jack stand breaking at lower than cast in advertised weight , I think you would be the proud owner of a new store and contents .

14. Back when i was a younger guy i bought the expensive stuff, but now i feel like i was paying for the name. Plus the snap on guy made it easy with the financing lol. I buy some stuff at HF, never had any problems that broke my heart. I have a mac DA sander that i paid big money for. It finally gave up on me so i stuck it in the bottom drawer of the toolbox. Ran to Lowe's and bought a kobalt to get me by. Thought it was crazy that the kobalt looked just like the mac, so i pulled them both apart and used the kobalt to fix the mac lmao! Mac was $275, kobalt was around $60

49ratfink, arkiehotrods, Tim and 2 others like this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I have 37 mini flashlights

16. slowmotion

slowmotion

The HF Earthquake XT impacts are worthy. Bought an aluminum 2-1/2 ton floor jack awhile back. Night & day slinging that thing around the garage. Yes, I use jack stands..always.
    Thing is, if you're not buying (and paying dearly for) professional grade hand tools (you know the names) your getting imports, some with what used to be USA brand names (in most cases).

mikhett and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  17. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Mac is owned by Stanley. They also own Dewalt. And sell all the same stuff with different names on them. And way different prices.

18. The only good Snap On air tool that I have ever had was the FAR-72 3/8 air ratchet. I’ve had mine for 25 years. Their impact wrenches are complete shit. The best impact I’ve ever used is an I/R. Won’t own any other impact. That being said, recently I wanted a 3/8 long handle flex head ratchet. I checked with my local SnapOn dealer. $165.00! I love good quality tools, my wife says I’m a tool hoarder. I inherited this from my Dad. We both collect tools. I happen to collect vintage Craftsman and Proto. I just hate to take my vintage stuff to work in case it would get swiped or broken. I happened to be at the Harbor and found their Professional 72 tooth long flex head ratchet for $26.99. Say what you want, their some of their has gotten really good. I’ve been pretty tough on this ratchet at work and it’s held up with no trouble. I hate the fact that it’s imported, but the tool guys have priced themselves out of the market. Just because it says SnapOn or Mac on it today doesn’t mean it’s US made. We also bought a stationary belt sander to resurface the exhaust manifold so my O/T Ranger and it works like a charm. Cost less than a pair of new manifolds.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cktasto, arkiehotrods, Tim and 2 others like this.
  19. I also have some HF stuff. Impact sockets, floor jacks, grinders and stands etc. Have had no issues. I have had most of this stuff for 15-20 years. Snap on prices are a bit rich for my blood at this stage in life. Like others here I bought that stuff when I was much younger. I still have craftsman tools I bought 40 plus years ago. Damn I am getting old!

cktasto, jim snow, winduptoy and 3 others like this.
  20. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I've got the HF Chief brand 3" die grinder reversible unit. Works well, power is good for my use. I like the reverse feature to shoot the sparks away from me.

21. Budget36

Budget36

Just to be clear, I left the jack under the car to see if it would leak down or not....not to work under it.

And like others I have a few sets of 1/2 and 3/8th deep impacts, never broke one yet.

Used and abused 1inch socket set from HF too when my Dad had his trucking business, all still work as bought. If I didn't have a 3/4inch set of IR's, I'd have gone with HF too.

Now I understand completely if you make a living with tools they may not be on par for what you need. I never made money (saved a bunch) turning a wrench.

22. upspirate

upspirate

I like the tape measures

blowby and arkiehotrods like this.
  23. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will admit that I have purchased a few items from Harbor Freight, Jack stands, cheap angle 4.5 inch grinders, a 12 inch face sander (had it for years, sanding disks don't last though:(, their highest price jack replaced my Sears floor jack when after 30 plus years it started leaking. It raises two or three inches higher and that saves me time, an English wheel, cherry picker (two of 'em, bought one for the in laws too) and some other tools. purchase an throatless shear and later got replacement blades, it needs new blades but it still works, bought a new throatless shear and it wouldn't cut ANYTHING and it went back and we are using the old one again. If I was a professional I'd look at it differently but the items have worked OK for us. This forum is sort of like a welding forum that I am on, if you have to grind the weld then you are not much of a welder:( I've got a friend that is a welding instructor and has been welding for 40 years as well as blacksmithing and yep, he grinds welds too.

I do avoid Walmart like the plague though:)

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I have lots and lots of the tape measures and mini flashlights and still can't find either when I need one!

caseywheels, blowby, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  25. upspirate

upspirate

Used to buy mostly Snap-On, then changed over to Craftsman.
    A couple of years ago flagged down the Snap-On guy to buy a rebuild kit from him for a 3/8 flex head bent handle ratchet (same rebuild guts as all the 3/8). He said he doesn't have them and I would have to contact Snap-On and maybe they'd ship to me!:confused::mad: I worked for a S-O dealer back in 1970 and they always had them and rebuilt them for you for free!

Truckdoctor Andy and mad mikey like this.
  26. upspirate

upspirate

I buy HF chip brushes,acid brushes,Nitral gloves,some of the ratchets.
    I needed a saw-all for just one job back 15 years ago, so bought their $20 one instead of Millwaukee...figured if it got job done it was worth it.Still using it
    Bought a trim router for re-formica-ing in some tight areas, again one time use, but used it for many years after for other things.
    My wife loves the green $20 folding chairs with the table instead of the folding canvas chairs you see everywhere
    I have bought some junk there also

mad mikey likes this.
  27. You need to keep them all in one place! LOL

Texas Webb and arkiehotrods like this.
  28. mountainman2

mountainman2

Beanscoot likes this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

Actually ya'd have around 500 left over;)

Desoto291Hemi and mountainman2 like this.
  30. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Lots of HF in my shop. Now I am just a hobby guy, building and maintaining my own stuff. Cherry picker has been in use many years and lifted engines and body’s with nary a stumble. Engine stands (two) have worked just fine, one has been setting with a sbf on it for a few years, never a problem. Several jack stands that I use daily. Lots of hand tools. Die grinders, grinders, c clamps, etc. A bead blast cabinet that has served me well. Lots of flashlights , always one close at hand. I just added a new floor jack from HF and it works great. Sure I have a Snap On impact and some Craftsman specially wrenches, Porter polisher and such. But for a guy like me HF has allowed me to save on tools and have four hot rods, so I am fine with it. I do have a friend who does build hot rods for others every day and he also uses many of the same tools as I.