Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1936 Plymouth window channel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greg Rose, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Greg Rose

Greg Rose

Hi! I am almost done with my 1936 Plymouth coupe but am having trouble with the door glass channel. Does anyone know how the felt channel is attached inside the door, as I role the glass up it goes straight till it gets to the end of the regulator travel then it moves forward about an inch leaving the channel just hanging by itself. There is two clips built into the door but they don't hold the channel were it needs to be, when I got the car it was a shell with nothing in the doors, I have regulators and the felt channel but cannot get everything to line up, its like something is missing? Any Ideas? Thank you!

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

There should be a deep felt line channel at the rear from sill up, that holds the glass in alignment as it moves forward and back

3. Greg Rose

Greg Rose

Hi, what I got from mopar direct is a 1/2" deep felt lined channel that is eight feet long, fits nice around the glass but only fits snug in the lower part of the door where there is a 12" or so metal channel, it then runs up the inside the door frame across the top of the window and back down the front of the door frame, when you roll the window up it comes out of the channel at the rear and goes in the channel at the front, how do I make the rear part stay with the glass? Thanks for your reply!

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

There must be someone here that can share a picture of the channel, I think it was mohair lined not felt. There were also short rubber guides at the sill where a modern car would have a full length sweep.

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Unfortunately I no longer have a car or parts to show but they were the same system on both my '35 Dodge and '36 Plymouth, probably same on Chryslers and Desotos of the same years.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's a 41, it may be similar?

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Nope not even close. The '35-'36 has no wing window and like the OP said the glass rolls all the way up leaving a slot open at the front, keep cranking and the glass moves forward to close the gap at front

8. Greg Rose

Greg Rose

Ok, on the lower front channel it is about three inches deep with a felt lining that hooks into the door like a 36 ford, so do you think I should cut the narrow channel off at the top of the door and make a wide piece as in the front see very crude picture? Thank you everyone for your responses, if anyone comes across a picture of an original please post it. Untitled.png

9. BobPer

BobPer

As I remember, I used 35-37 Ford truck channels. The back channel is deep so when the window reaches the top and then slides forward, it is still contained and supported.
    upload_2019-12-21_10-47-39.png
    Hope that helps, Bob

10. Greg Rose

Greg Rose

Thank you very much!!!

11. BobPer

BobPer

Greg, Here are their instructions:
    upload_2019-12-21_18-4-11.png
    You will still have to cut and adjust to fit, but it gets you about 95% there.
    If you need anything else, ask away. Bob

12. Greg Rose

Greg Rose

Thank you, I found some of these on ebay after Christmas I will get one.