Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Kinda funny how age changes you...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Dec 20, 2019.

1. I remember as a kid, the only car i wanted was a 69 Camaro, i had a good friend that had one. It was a beast. I wouldn't look twice at any other car, especially a station wagon :rolleyes: when i went to work in the autoglass industry, one of the shops i went to on a regular basis always had old projects, and the owner had a 34 Ford, a 55 Chevy, a 40 Ford coupe... but i wasn't into that stuff, i thought it was for old guys. Then as the years went by there was a cat in town that had a 55 Chevy sedan delivery, aluminum slots, gray primer. Damn that thing looked cool! And then the day came that i seen a 59 Chevy wagon all laid out on the ground, steel wheels, patina... i thought now that's the sweetest car i had ever seen :cool: and it's been that way ever since then. Hell i even catch myself looking at a Gremlin differently lol. Guess I'm getting old lol. Love them wagons :D

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Well it was FORD muscle cars for me , I traded a 64 Comet one owner 289 special 4 speed to 37 Chebbie Coupe , that was sitting for 30 plus years , traded a finished driving 100% steel coupe for a 32 3w with 286 Cube flathead in 10,000 pieces . I had a couple 40s Ford picks thrown in the mix also . Always had a Harley on my mind . The Harley hasn’t changed much from the late 30s to the one I currently own .

3. Binkman

Binkman

I am amazed at some of the stuff I used to like and my tastes now.
    My first car was a '56 Chevy truck when I was a teenager. I bought it , turned it into a hot rod ,sold it, and bought it back, and did it all over again. By this time I knew how to weld/paint/ etc. I finished it and hated it.
    After I bought my first truck I discovered '34 Fords. I got my first one in the mid '70's.
    It was quite a stretch back then to afford one but I did. I loved them. It was a 5-W coupe that I still have.
    Next I bought a 3-W project that I sold a few years ago.
    Over the years I had all of them from 33-40. At first mixed body styles, then just coupes , then just converts.
    About 15 years ago I dumped everything but the '34's and never looked back. I love that body style.
    I occasionally yearn to do a 55-56-57 Cameo but doubt I will ever get to it. There were a lot of 55-56-57 Chevies,El Camino's Chevelles, etc. over the years but the '34's were special.

4. It's come full circle i guess, for the past few years, i thought the only cool cars was built before the war lol.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'm chuckling from the posts above thinking that what a like hasn't changed much at all in the last 47 years. My first car was a 66 Fairlane one of my projects is the 64 Fairlane, it will even have similar wheels on it.

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. At 50,you got a long way to go for old:D.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I still want a 69 Camaro.

8. Well if i had known i was gonna live this long i would've taken better care of myself lol. And i heard a comedian touch on the other subject once, he said that when he was 7 years old, he wanted to be a rocket scientist, and now that he's 50 he wants to be a cowboy lol.

9. mickeyc

mickeyc

10. 6sally6

6sally6

I wonder if a Lenco 5 speed would fit in a 63 Fairlane?! That's where my head is.
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  11. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

It's funny to me how I could almost always find something about any car I liked and wanted one because of it.

That must still be true, cause I keep bringing the cars home

12. mickeyc

mickeyc

I never thought I would consider a Nash Metropolitan,
    but..... there is one around these parts that is way cool.
    Custom chassis, big tires injected small block Chevy totally finished and painted. A.C. overdrive auto 4 wheel disc brakes nice low key interior. A few suttle
    body mods and lowered. The price is probably a third
    of what it coast to build. I would totally drive it.

chryslerfan55 and blackjack like this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wanted a 69 Z 28 when I was in Vietnam in 68 but Dad checked with his insurance salesman buddy (the highest price guy in the country I think) and said the insurance was more than the car. Ended up special Ordering a 69 Cutlass S hardtop that was probably the most bare bones 69 Cutlass that Williams & Swanson in Renton Wa ever sold. The whole option list had 4 items 310 hp 350, M21 4 speed, 3.42 Posi and an AM-FM Multiplex radio that cost over 200 1968 dollars. The salesman tried to tack on options but the answer was no. The only new off the lot car I ever bought an probably the only one I ever will buy. I was all about the super car then though.

Right now I'd just like to have a simple 50's mild custom with a simple engine and automatic and power steering that either my wife or I can drive and do road trips in. AC power steering and a good sound system and decent paint and interior and call it good.

14. That's kinda funny, i cut the body off of one. Took a sawzall around the floor pan. Built a box tube chassis with a small block and mounted the body. Sold it before it got very far along.

15. trollst

trollst

Yeah, me too, greasy hair, buckhorns, staggered duals, low, extended forks, party every weekend, girls attracted to guys like me, lotsa booze and the occasional hit of speed. I rode all over western canada and washington-oregon, spent every minute on my bike, ran iron for a living, I was bulletproof.
    Well, I ran iron all my life, got married to a woman with two kids, reformed my ways and built an evil, bullet fast 93 inch wheelbase T bucket, ran it five years till the cops hassled me to the point of sale, built more cars, still building cars, and have not ridden a bike in thirty years. I still miss two wheels and when I sell my roadster, gonna buy another bike, even though I'm approaching too old to ride it, it's said you can never go back, but damn, I'm gonna try.

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

When I was 15, I saw my first '56 Nomad. It was red and white and I thought it was the best-looking, most perfectly proportioned car I had ever seen. I became obsessed with finding and buying one. I was finally able to buy one 19 years later. I've owned it 29 years now, and I still have the same opinion I had when I was 15. So I guess some things have not changed with age! :)

17. Those original Jesse James motorcycle mania shows, Bill Dodge said "anybody can build a car, they stand up on their own" lol

18. My point is, the older I've gotten, the more appreciation I have for traditional hot rods and customs. The 57 wagon I'm building now is the "newest" I've had in probably 20? years. And I've built probably 13 or 14 cars in that time. The wagon doesn't seem that old, hell it ain't got no wood structure in it lol

19. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

As a kid working at a drag strip every Sunday in the 70s I saw just about every car imaginable. The one that made me say I have to have something like that was a 66 Chevelle that was slammed with shaved door handles and louvers on the hood. It was black primer but I didn't care. It was the coolest thing I ever saw. From that point it was all about Lowriders and Customs for me. The bigger, longer, and smoother the better. I'd post what I have but it's not old enough for this forum. A 66 Pontiac Catalina. The first thing I did was cut the springs and shave the handles. Still love those big cars. I've had two of them since. The one I have now is on air ride. I tried to sell it last summer but didn't have any luck. Kind of glad though. I've had it 20 years now. Maybe I'll keep it a bit longer.

20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

A newer than '65 vehicle is ok here if it has same body style as '65. One example would be a '66 Chevy pickup which is same body as '64 and '65. A '66 full-size Pontiac shares same body as a '65.

21. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I thought it was 64 and older but my 66 is similar to a 65 but not the same. Defiantly not the same as a 64. At least not the same like my 64 C10 is the same as a 66 C10. Maybe I'm wrong.

22. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Hell yeah, they have a two body trunk!

scotty t and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. For me it was big block el caminos. Mainly 59-67. If I got it without a big block, it had one in it within a week. Had a 64 that damn near killed me. Black on black, no air, and caught in a noon traffic jam on the Vegas strip. There wasn't enough water in all of Nevada to keep me hydrated. Bought a new 1978, and true to my nature had a 427 in it in a week (bit more peppy than that weak assed 305). Should have seen the service managers face when he popped the hood for the free dealer wash and fluid check. I was quickly informed that I had voided my warranty, to which I simply replied, "Don't forget to do the windows."

24. upspirate

upspirate

Growing up in Detroit I was into muscle cars after I got my license in 1970.Hated 4 doors. Got into rods in the late '70's, owned first one in '85, last one about 3-4 yrs ago. Never liked '49-54 Chevrolets, especially '53-54, now I'd like to have one especially a '54 as I like the tail lights better and I was born in '54.
    Still don't like 4 drs even though we have 2 in the driveway right now, 2018 crossover and a 2019 SUV

25. ............I'm beginning to worry about you......just a little bit.:D;) Gremlin-logo-DAABE190BB-seeklogo.com.png

26. My first car was a '54 Chevrolet, always ran the six ,but redid a lot of other things. Got into horses for many years. Got the car fever again. Now Model A's w/ bangers. Tastes do change as you get older, at least for some people.

27. 1ton

1ton

When I was younger, all I wanted to do was drive fast. Nowadays, it makes me happy to be able to stop.

32SEDAN, partsdawg and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I guess I have became more open about the things I like, even tho I know others wont, sometime with good reason.
    I never was crazy over a 69 camaro like some but I do like em as they are the best looking camaro ever built, Im a huge fan of 55 chevys as that is my most favorite car, but almost unfortunately, They are one of the big three most commonly well accepted almost cliche Hot Rods of all time (in my opinion)rite along with the 69 camaro and 32 ford.

I love to see something different or something otherwise ugly made cool....I remember a uncle having maybe one of the ugliest cars ever made when I was a kid, It was a green 4 door 73 cutlass:eek:....I knew it was just transportation and I knew it was ugly:confused:, but something in me said I liked it because of it and I just had the desire to make it cool:D
    I more openly dont care to admit that today more than I would have back then in a crowd, even tho I know I still wouldnt be accepted for it:D

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  29. blackanblue

blackanblue

You still have money after horses?

chryslerfan55 and raven like this.