Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest How many of you are true garage builders ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jun 10, 2019.

1. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I can build a garage, I can't build a car...

2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

A guy I knew wanted a garage but didn't have the required space to build it far enough from his house for a fire truck to get thru. Zoning wouldn't let him build an attached garage, but would allow a carport. SO, he built a carport.
    He waited until the neighbors grew accustomed to the carport and then added a side wall to it. After a while he added a back wall to it. Sometime later he added a front wall and an overhead door to it.

Its kinda like the story about the trapper who put some bait in a field to draw deer to the field. He then erected a small section of fence. When the deer were comfortable with the fence section, he gradually added more sections until he had a fence with one entrance surrounding the bait.

As for the shed, I'd pitch a lean to off the back and then the side of it and wall them in. You can gain a lot of space for a lot less money until you actually build a larger shop. Then its still handy for storing things. Poor a concrete floor first and you would be surprised how nice a lean to can be.

I started with a little barn/shed. Had to move it across the yard on a trailer and sit it on a slab. Then I pitched a lean-to off one side of it. Its large enoug to store a car and some stuff. Then later I pitched a roof off the back that was as wide as the shed and the lean-to on the side. Later I built another small building next to the lean-to. Then still later I extended off the back of the existing lean-to and the building next to it so that I had a really long lean-to with no walls. Great for putting the trailer under and a lot of other stuff.

DSCN1610.JPG

Shed 1 Carport.jpg

Later I built the "Big Boy " building and then made a nice lean-to on the back and another one on the side for an "old" motor home.

Polebarn frame6.jpg
    Pole barn framing 3.JPG

Leanto.. 039.jpg

Shed 3.jpg

The point here is that if anybody is struggling for space, no matter what kind of shop you have, it can gain a lot of space cheaply by attaching a lean-to. Best to concrete it if you are going to do any work in it. Simple 2x6 roof supports can work . Mine have had some heavy snow loads on them
    I try to put most things on good casters. The lean-to on my pole barn has many tools that I just store there and roll them into the shop when I need them. It just takes a little creativity and sweat equity.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    LOWDUG37 and JUNK ROD like this.
  3. I built my 40 in half of a 22 X 22, the other half of the garage resides my 38 Chevy, which was built by my dad in a home garage of similar size in the 70's 80's. He did everything but the interior.
    40var.jpg 38chev.JPG

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine in Lompoc, CA, spent years building and racing cars out of a two car attached garage with really only enough room for one vehicle. He finally had the finances for a larger garage in his back yard and when he presented his plan to the building inspector, he was told that he couldn't build a garage that large on his residential property. Not one to take "No" for an answer, he researched the code and found that he could build a "recreational vehicle storage facility" of the same dimensions as the garage he originally wanted. So he did and moved all his cars into it. It's all in how you read the rules.;)

ekimneirbo likes this.
  5. error404

error404
    from CA

I may, or may not be planning this. :D

ekimneirbo likes this.
  6. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I think I might have missed something somewhere along the line.....Do you still have this engine? It is bad ass!

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's still in his coupe.

8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I think when they get bigger than 2 cars they should be called shops

Dan Hay likes this.
  9. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Wow you really are a garage builder. That thing is awesome. The cars are nice too.

10. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Everything here including paint, except trans and machine work on engine done in 2 car attached garage. DSCN1160.JPG

Baumi likes this.
  11. mkebaird

mkebaird

When I moved to Oregon, I gave up about 3000 sq.ft. of shop. The existing 24x32 wasn't going to hold everything, so I did this:
    P1030505.JPG P1030523.JPG P1030547.JPG P1030577.JPG P1030604.JPG

Ended up with about 1800 sqft. All my stuff is out of the weather, let it rain!

j hansen and Tickety Boo like this.