Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Help with a color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poncho catalina, Dec 19, 2019.

1. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

I need help with a color. My father had a car painted 56pontiac amethyst.
    From what I remember (and the pictures I have) it was a violet color a little more red to the color.
    The paint code was D the ditzler ppg number 50441 dupont number 2232H
    I have searched the web and seen many different colors come up some more purple than others. I did find one that looked the way I remember. I ordered a bottle of touch paint to see if I can get this color. The color was not close. What I would like if someone can tell me where I can get the formula. So I can get I small amount mixed up. For a test

2. Dupont jobber. Put the Chromavision on it

3. Not going to do him much good for a colour he remembers.
    The only place that seems to have decent modern formulas for old colours anymore is TCP Global. I would try contacting them.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. I have to pick up paint in the morning. I'll ask Duane at Williams paint supply. They've been the Dupont distributor here for 40 years. I'll give him your Dupont number you provided.

low budget likes this.
  5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

PPG actually has color samples of some OEM color's in the twin citys. I've had some luck with the jobber contacting them, they do a scan and give them a formula. The last time I had this done was probably ten years ago now, it was hit and miss but worth a try.

6. The problem with old colours is a lot of the toners no longer exist so even with a code if a crossover doesn't exist for a new toner the code is useless. TCP seems to be the only company that has taken the time to develop crossovers or toners to match old paint colours.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

Thanks I'll try TCP
    If can get a sample, than I can get my local jobber to match it