Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical is the guage of steel in a 35-40 pick up greater than a carthickenss of a pick up chassis greater th

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nobby, Dec 20, 2019.

1. nobby

nobby

is the steel thicker in a pick up chassis
    is it due to the car body offering some rigidity?

i.e. I should not EVEN contemplate using a car frame under a 38 pick up
    leaf sprung with a flathead

2. nobby

nobby

35 to 41 ford pick up chassis
    35 to 40 ford car chassis

is the steel in a pick up frame thicker - rails and inner x

3. upspirate

upspirate

Is a pick-up chassis heavier gauge steel than a car chassis?
    I don't know, but I cleaned up the question for you

4. nobby

nobby

does anyone stamp heavier guage new 35-40 rails stock style to appease the registration gods

if not why not!!

5. nobby

nobby

vtx1800 likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@nobby

I do not know the factual answer to the question. But that does not stand in the way of an opinion.

If pickup chassis were, in fact, a heavier gage metal, it can’t be by much or it would have been noticeable and well known after all the decades of Ford devotees who have encyclopedic knowledge of the brand. And that is not the case.

So, I say it’s moot. If you have a sturdy passenger car frame.....use it for either a passenger car or pickup build and do not worry about it.

edit: I did not see your last post before I replied. I just looked up 11 ga thickness. It is 1/8” or .125”. Given that a millimeter is about .040”, .125” is a skosh more than 3 mm.........by my spurious reasoning.

Ray

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. I believe it’s the same gauge steel used
    And the chassis doesn’t rely on the car body for help although the body does add something.
    I think you’ll be fine building your truck unless you’re planning on hauling heavy loads or running faster than 11 seconds with the flat head. Then I’d look for a dump truck or a square tube chassis.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. If I remember correctly, Ford frames are same for cars and trucks 35-40. The frame rails and cross members are all the same, only difference was attachment points for the bodies. The rearmost cross members were different in trucks to add support for the bed.

flatford39 and Hamtown Al like this.
  9. Here is a good source for drawings, when looking at these drawings remember cars and light trucks are the same drawings up to 1940, when a drawing on that site says truck, they refer to greater than 1 Ton vehicles. Vehicles AFTER 1940, cars, light trucks, and 1ton> trucks ALL have different frames.
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_drawings_chassis-frame.htm

SEE notes A and B in the drawing

upload_2019-12-20_7-49-39.png

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    LOU WELLS and Hamtown Al like this.
  10. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

They are essentially the same. 41 pickup uses the same chassis, too.
    I've used them interchangeably across the years. My first 40 pickup used the chassis from a 40 4 door sedan and I didn't have to add any holes to the chassis; just cut off a few car body mounts from the outside of the chassis ahead of the rear wheels. Hope this helps. Al

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Same gauge for car and pickup chassis.

12. The 30s era pickup trucks used a car chassis. They did not get heavier until you got into the ton and better trucks. '30s and early '40s fords were just wiggly bastards.

13. 38bill

38bill
    from Minnesota

The 1/2T Ford "pickups" were not considered trucks. They are "Commercial Cars" and share the same basic frame with the cars. The main difference is that the 1/2T frame doesn't have the body mounts that a car frame has.

14. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Frame For A 1940 Ford Passenger Car And Commercial Vehicle Are Different Thickness (Gauge)....From The V8 Ford Club... img7571_94760.jpg