Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Snow White SBF short water pump installed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Do it Over, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Finally calling it done on the Snow White SBF short water pump. Only had two real issues. First is the Opel water pump uses a metric bolt spacing that will require a custom fan spacer. Going to get a 1" piece of phenolic resin to make one. The second issue is one which the manufacturer is aware of. The belt is very close to the water pump hose. Very, very close. Overall the unit does make almost 2" more clearance. Well worth it. 20191219_221309.jpg 20191219_221235.jpg 20191219_221212.jpg 20191219_221137.jpg 20191219_221120.jpg 20191219_221111.jpg

2. Phil1934

Phil1934

Since you are going to make a fan spacer, I would do one 1/4" thick to fit under wp pulley and buy a 1/4" crank pulley spacer and shim the alternator out. That belt may dance at speed. I don't think it will cut the hose but clamp may shave the belt. I'd be interested to hear from other users here if same problem or if it is the custom pulleys.

3. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Caution ! I had one of those rubber caps like you are using to blow out and leave me stranded. Hopefully those are only temporary.
    Shame the price of that pump kit couldn’t include a couple of shims.

Do it Over likes this.
  4. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I used one years ago, I got a 1 inch fan spacer with the 2 pulleys. I put a 1/8" shim under the pulleys and that was enough for the belt to live, it touched a few times but just enough to leave a tell tale.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Do it Over likes this.

5. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Yes, the caps are temporary. I too think some shims could have been included as well as a fan spacer to get the fan past lower pulley. Changing the pulley design slightly to fix the rub would be the best solution.

DIYGUY likes this.
  6. bchctybob

bchctybob

Just wondering, does that conversion also move the fan centerline up to put the fan higher like the SBC version does?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I had considered the SW piece when I built the '31, but there were 2 issues I couldn't get around. First is the clearance issue and the other is availability of that Opel pump. It's not like when those cars were in production (my parents had 2 Opels). They're destined to go the way of the dodo and I didn't want to paint myself into a corner.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

could you use dual groove fan & alternator pulleys to give more clearances? will available aluminum fan spacers that have elongated openings for mounting bolts work with metric pattern?

9. Is it me ot is the belt way out of alignment?

I thought the snow white conversion raised the water pump up a additional 5" to center the fan on the radiator like the zip's riser does on the sbc. HRP

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  10. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

No

11. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

The Opel pump is cheap on Rockauto.com. I plan to buy a spare ot two.

12. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Nope, alignment is good. Pic is fisheyed.

13. missysdad1

missysdad1

Snow White recommends Dayco "Top Cog" belts with the SBC conversion. These belts are both narrower and fit deeper in the pulley grooves and would give more clearance in your area of concern. The Dayco belts also give better belt-to-pully contact than some others and will eliminate the need to over-tighten the belt to stop belt squeal. I've used two of the Snow White SBC pumps and just ordered another one for a car I have under construction. They are great, trouble-free units if you follow the manufacturer's instructions.

KoolKat-57, Do it Over and DIYGUY like this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

What engine do you have? Opel wp? This is new to me...

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is a phenolic fan spacer a good idea? I've not heard of using that material for a spacer before.

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'd get a block of aluminum and drill it for a fan spacer.

17. Would a OEM hose clamp either hog ring type,or the double loop wire sit a bit lower on the hose so theres no metal to rub on? Another thought....take a Dremel tool,and cut a low dip on the top edge of the clamp near the belt.

18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

What I your overall length from bellhousing mounting flange at the back of the block to the front of the fan mounting hub on the front of the engine? Curious to how it compares to other combinations of parts for a shorter SBF.
    SPark

irishsteve likes this.
  19. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

You should add a brace to that alternator pivot bolt. I have seen them flex enough to toss the belt without one.

20. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Snow White kit on 289, 6.75" to end of .5" spacer.
    Ford Racing, or Explorer, 94 Mustang serpentine 6.187" to pump flange. Pretty much a wash, I've went to the later, just can't have a mechanical fuel pump. 20191221_142418.jpeg 20191221_142454.jpeg