Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4 Speed Information

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hombre, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Hombre

Hombre

I am thinking seriously about installing a Muncie 4 Speed in my 49 Ford Coupe. Car has a Small Block chevy engine and a 700r4 now, and I just hate that gutless 700r4. Great for the road or highway but not my thing at all.

The thing I am wondering about is the clutch linkage. Would I be better served by a Hydraulic clutch either a slave or maybe a throw out bearing. What are the draw backs to these?

mkubacak likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Until about 20 years ago, I was all mechanical. Mercy, hydraulic clutches are so much easier to setup and maintain.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Black Panther likes this.
  4. Hombre

Hombre

Thanks for that Stumpy. I have absolutely no use what so ever for a 700r4. I wouldn't ever put one of those lame things in anything I own, now that is just the way I feel about them, not asking anyone else to feel the same way. Just as soon as I get the linkage problem solved and install the Muncie in the car this 700r4 will be in the Pay-It-Forward section and will go for free to anyone wanting to try one for nothing because that is exactly the price I think they are worth.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

All good, I have a 4sp in my other car and yes, it's a lot more fun when you hit the loud button with your right foot.:D

Hombre likes this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

The 700R4 will/should be, quicker off the line than your 4 speed. I've a few and like them for that, the 2-3 shift is poor, but oh well.

Your's isn't slipping is it?

That said the 700R4 with the converter will be twice the weight of a 4 speed Muncie set up, but surely something else is amiss?

7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I like the feel of a mechical clutch. I hydraulic is just ok but stay far away from a hydraulic throw out bearing. They are problems waiting to happen!

seb fontana and Hombre like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Speaking of hydraulic TO bearings, what is/touted as the advantage?

9. mkubacak

mkubacak

I get it, I hate auto transmissions. I want to shift gears when I want and have the interaction of both hands and both feet while driving. Save the automatics for the little old ladies.

On an OT Jeep, I swapped in a NV4500 for the TH400. I used the hydraulic master and slave from a early 80's Jeep CJ. Great setup and super easy to install. This is from a guy that can't fabricate shit and can barely bolt something on.

Hombre likes this.
  10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The thing I like about the hydraulic clutch is every one I've driven has had the pedal effort of a late model economy car. My old legs just can't do the stiff pedal anymore.

Hombre likes this.
  11. mkubacak

mkubacak

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you still have floor pedals? If not and you want use a hydraulic TO it may be time for swing pedals. My experience only; McCleods always leaked, RAM and Howe’s never leaked. If you can get all the original floor pedals it maybe easier and go mechanical.
    I’m courious what rear gears do you have. With a 700r you should have a 4.11 and a killer off the line. Good luck

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I adapted a Toyota pickup slave to a Saginaw one time, easy peasy. Made a simple bolt on bracket, even used the Toyota rod to throw out arm.

14. Hombre likes this.
  15. Hombre

Hombre

Bob, thank you for that. Clean and simple looking setup, seems to be readily available parts may not get more simple than that. Thanks again!

16. Agreed. HRP

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Most definitely choose the M-20 (Muncie) if your rear gearset is 3.08 or lower (numerically), a much more advantageous first gear (2.52 or 2.56) for getting rolling from a dead stop compared to the 2.20 first gear of the M-21.
    Yes, those hydraulic T.O. bearings can be a headache to get installed (shimmed) correctly.