Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Header Options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowCountry Mike, Dec 19, 2019.

1. I'm having issues deciding on how to route headers on my bucket. The current setup works, but as I draw closer to actually driving it, I'm worried about the kids burning the sh!t out of their legs when getting in/out and they are hot. The car sits too low to run anything underneath it, so I'm kind of forced into a Zoomie style, or something that goes straight up. Both pics below I found via Google, so if you guys know something specific that I should look at please let me know. I know there needs to be a "back pressure", but I don't know what would be good or not.

1) Are there any drawbacks to routing the headers straight up or out, other than the exhaust fumes going to your face while driving.

2) Are there any better options that I'm missing?

Thanks!

IMG-3300.jpg Hedman Husler Headers SFB.jpg Sanderson Headers Zommie SBF.jpg

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

You can if you like kill two birds with one stone idea.=Add step just 1in.over top of hot pipe,helps getting in an out,plus is a shield. I have that on my own rod. Other thing is a heat shield like side pipes on Vets use.
    Zoomys really hurt your ears more then you would think.
    Just a tip,in what I can see in photo,looks like your steering wheel is too small=not safe=use at lest 13in. +

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

A picture from the front and from the side showing the ground clearance would be helpful. Speedway and Summit sell DIY sprint car kits as well as flanges and bends. If you’re decent with a MIG welder you can build something to meet your needs. You could also make some heat shields to go over the current set. No matter what you do there will always be something hot that’s touchable on these cars. Your going to have to teach ‘em and watch ‘em.
    Good for you including your kids in your hot rod stuff!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

I really never have cared for zoomies on a street vehicle.

wvenfield likes this.

5. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-12-19_8-44-43.png
    Hey L,
    These pipes had baffles in them and made a powerful, but muffled sound. Yes, they were hot, but if the pipes are tucked in, it should not be a problem. If the "kids" cannot climb into your T-Bucket, they need help anyway, so caution about the pipes is taken into consideration. If they can climb in by themselves, then a warning should do it for the older ones. No one likes leg burns from hot exhaust pipes.

Jnaki

I had an bicep burn from a header system on our 1940 Willys Coupe 671 SBC motor and it lasted almost 60 years. It is now, finally, fading away. So I know how serious header pipe burns can get. Plus those bandages are terrible during the healing process.

In any system for your T-Bucket, try to tuck the pipes in or under as much as possible. YRMV
    Unless your T-Bucket is scraping the ground, there is always room to tuck in a neat system.

6. I warn anyone getting in or out of my car to watch out for the hot pipes.
    On another note, what color is your car? It looks to be the same color as mine, and I need to find some paint for a turtle deck I'm adding. I bought it this way and don't know the exact color.
    Thanks 20190505_204113.jpg

7. Thanks for the good insight fellas. I (for some reason) don't have any pictures of it on the ground on this computer (work). I'll see if I can get some tonight and repost them there.

The kids are from 6-15, so they understand the heat warning. I've already removed the current headers, blasted and painted them so I may just stay with them and go the step route. I always encourage different ideas as well.

Thanks!

8. I wish I could tell you, as it needs to be redone, I stumbled into someone else's old build. Actually, I'm thinking about getting everything as smooth as possible, and then putting a vinyl wrap around it.

dana barlow likes this.
  9. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

IMAG1684.jpg
    I added this photo,as it dose show the step above the pipes,my own rod is a bobtailed 28"A"an has doors,but the same step thing works fine on "T"buckets. The step outer lip is about 1in.over an out side of pipe.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Some simple shields that clamp on would help with entry and exit, I built these out of aluminum. IMG_1813.JPG IMG_1855.JPG IMG_1857.JPG

bchctybob, wraymen and KevKo like this.
  12. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I agree with the heat shield suggestion. And you could even wrap them under the shield.

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

You will be amazed at what a difference a little air space will do.

bchctybob likes this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Pretty wicked looking T-Bucket 19Eddy30, from any angle. Reminds me of the 55 novel and 83 movie, "Something Wicked This Way Comes". Just wicked!!! Looks like a spider ready to pounce. Can't help with the OP's question about the exhaust. Stick twin turbos on it and forget about the exhaust. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

raven likes this.
  15. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

not my car , I believe it was built by a HAMBer that is No longer with us.
    Not to much on Ts , but that look & style I would build , Im street racer , that would be like My Blown Alky Altered on the street