Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Installed my Y-Block valve cover adapters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Do it Over, Dec 17, 2019.

1. I use a corn cob it wont get soft from body heat and the drunk gals love it too

49ratfink and vtx1800 like this.
  2. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Not as bad as '32 rad shells on Model A Fords

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It would look better, I think, if you ground, chamfered, roughed up or somehow made the exposed areas of the adapter not so obvious.

scotty t and Do it Over like this.
  4. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a y block guy, and I like it. It's your car. Now put a set of these on and really fool them. The air cleaner is a nice touch.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Then if you really want them scratching their heads you put in an HEI distributor with the y-block valve covers LOL! :D And for those guys that get razzed for putting a SBC in a Ford there are these. https://yourcovers.com/valve_covers_8357-7.php

Do it Over and j3harleys like this.
  6. The valve covers aren’t fake.
    The engine isn’t fake
    It’s a real 302 with real y block valve covers.
    Kinda like all those Cadillac air cleaners on non Cadillac engines.

7. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

No different than putting a SBC in a FORD and still saying you have a FORD. I'm with Anthony myrick on this one. There are a lot of things that seem ok on here but seems like the ford guys get a bunch of crap for doing something. There is a lot of deception built into cars all the time. Kind of like putting cheater slicks on a car and trailering it to car shows. Do you really need that much traction to drive up the ramps? Trust me....I love this forum and a lot of the cars on here but to give a guy crap for a well executed fabrication is crazy. The whole "what's a 5.0" is old also. It's the same thing as your new crate 5.7 that is dressed to look like an early corvette engine. Because they are all corvette engines at the end of the chevy day.

EDIT: This is not a pissing match and I wasn't trying to upset someone just trying to state the confusion that I have sometimes. I am a FORD guy and it's just upsetting that it seems not acceptable for anything but a chevy sometimes on here. It wasn't like he tried moving the distributor to the back to be completely deceitful as to what engine he had. Just valve covers. My whole problem is that even though you may or may not approve, why should he be bashed for a well fabricated adapter. We have people on here that have used Ford Ranger bed rails to make a truck bed on a shoebox(which is really cool) to people that have made 30's trucks and sedans into coupes and it's accepted. Hell, I'm in the process of making my 48 sedan into a business coupe but don't try to pass it off as that. The people on here are so creative and have fantastic skills and that's why I keep coming back. Plus, he wanted to make his car HIS and isn't that what makes this hobby great.....everyone has a different vision. This is the greatest open forum for old cars. So now I'm off to make sure my serpentine belt is adjusted correctly and my supercharger parts are going to fit.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Jibs, Allmotor, slim38 and 9 others like this.
  8. Looks better than the flat head valve covers on an sbc. It's your car, build it your way. It's no different than the finned covers over disc brakes. Just like disc brakes help the car stop reliably, you get the power, reliability, and parts availability with the sbf. Personally, I find nothing wrong with the looks of the 302. With a set of finned valve covers, it looks as old school as any of them.

JeffB2, Cosmo50 and Do it Over like this.
  9. Oh good, another pissing match about personal taste....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

slowmotion, Blues4U, scotty t and 4 others like this.
  10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Man, you have done a darn good job and thanks for sharing.
    I am disappointed with the comments from some of our colleagues who I hold in higher esteem and they should be more reasonable in choosing their words.
    I say to them, for fuck sake give the guy a break and grow up....

Boneyard51, Allmotor, slim38 and 8 others like this.
  11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Looks much better than 409 valve covers on an LS!

12. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I agree. I'll try some texturing with the needle scaler next chance I get.

13. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I enjoy the support and can handle the hate, no problem. I'm a NY'er :) . It's all good as both motivate me to do better. If I could build an authentic period correct car i would but that's not realistic at this time. I was lucky to find this car at a pricei could afford. Since it was already modded with modern suspension spending heaps to bring it back to stock wasn't an option. I really to love period correct builds but I work with what I've got, try to make the best of it and keep improving my skills in the hope of building something nice that even the crankiest HAMB'er will appreciate. Now off to find some plexiglass to make some spacers to fix the belt rub on my Snow White water pump. They did have plexiglass in the 50's right ?

Thanks for ALL the comments. It shows you care. God is good.

14. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Those are sweet! Pricey I'd bet too. I was going to use the aluminum TBird covers but didnt want to cut up a good pair for oil filler and PCV. I'm still looking though ;) .

15. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I made very similar adapters to use staggered style valve covers on my 350. I'm not trying to make anyone think it's an old 327, I just wanted to use my $6.00 swap meet find. DSCN1169 (2).JPG

16. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Oh jeez. Guess i wont put my Packard Clipper covers on my nailhead now.:p

fiftyv8 likes this.
  17. I like the "Olds Rocket" style valve covers. Makes a great spark plug wire loom. Now if they only made some that said "Corvette"...

fiftyv8 likes this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not trying to make anyone think it's an old 327, I just wanted to use my $6.00 swap meet find. View attachment 4517153 [/QUOTE]
    Pre-59-1/2 283...

fiftyv8 likes this.
  19. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Shows ya how much I don't know. lol

20. goldmountain

goldmountain

I just love fake stuff and pulling the wool over the eyes of the unsuspecting. Now I want to make a set of adapters like Jim Goetz and start looking for Canadian Pontiac valve covers. IMG_1304 - Copy.JPG

fiftyv8 likes this.
  21. RmK57

RmK57

This is the one that really messes the casual observer up.....

IMG_1186.JPG

BamaMav and fiftyv8 like this.
  22. Remember, there are no rules in hot rodding, build it the way you want and others will do it their way.

I totally agree. HRP

Chicster, vtwhead, tjm73 and 3 others like this.
  23. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Like Larry Sez: 50's.jpg

24. It ain't like he's trying to make a low performance engine look like a high performance engine. Let's start ragging on the guys that put DeSoto grilles in Mercs.

anthony myrick likes this.
  25. Jibs, scrap metal 48 and jimgoetz like this.
  26. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Not to mention my dreaded sbc. DSCN1199.JPG

49ratfink and anthony myrick like this.
  27. jimgoetz likes this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I like'em. A set of 55-56 Continental valve covers would really blow some minds. $$$$ though, and hard to find.

29. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

jimgoetz likes this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you’re referring to my T and my chassis it’s not a 32 chassis it’s totally custom fabricated by me starting with 2X6X1/8” rectangular tubing.

If you took the time to go through my build thread you’d find it’s a no posing zone.
    :p:D:D

fiftyv8 and jimgoetz like this.