Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Goodbye Magazines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vonn Ditch, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that they priced themselves out of the market when advertising dollars may get more bang for the buck on the net is a big part of the problem even though the actual magazine publisher doesn't get a lot of return for each magazine sold on the news stand when there are so many fingers taking a piece of the pie.
    That and it is near impossible to appeal to all factions of the hot rod hobby at one time. Too many billet cars and we didn't buy that issue, an issue full of those "outdated" traditional cars and they didn't buy it. Plus advertisers no doubt whined when the cars featured didn't have enough of their newer products on them.
    Go over to the Jeep rag and probably the same thing. The guys with C-J's could give much of a rip about what goes on on the late model rigs and vise/versa. No articles on _____ no sale.
    Move over to The new car rags and you get the guys who want info on economy boxes with wheels complaining that all you feature and guys who want to read about high end cars whining that all the had was a long winded article on boring cheap sedans.
    Trouble is that it just flat costs too much to try and sell narrow focus magazines no matter what the focus these days.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  2. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last issue of HRD was Jan 2020. It was, along with the The Rodder's Journal, at the top of my list.

3. fuzzface

fuzzface

I got an email yesterday offering me 6 months free to an internet version of different car magazines to make up what I had paid ahead.

4. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"rod & custom" did the same thing. circulation offered to give me "motor trend" for the balance of my sub. no, thanks!

5. i like cars & stuff

i like cars & stuff
    from Aotearoa

I am a dinosaur.
    At least i have some paper fragments to refer to when the power or internet goes out. Which it does, often.

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

well i guess that sucks on the magazines, but i have found myself about 2 or 3 years behind on reading the ones i have been getting for years, because for me the stuff in the books now the average guy cant touch, you could pour a bunch of money in, and be lucky to get a 1/4 back. i will keep looking at the hamb for ideas, most of us on here have about the same idea of what we like, and nobodys trying to write the biggesr check! :eek::rolleyes::cool: