Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Curiosity

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NailedElco, Dec 18, 2019.

1. NailedElco

NailedElco

Basically parting out a really nice 50 f1 at shop where I work have this heater unit tht doesn't seem to be a Ford unit just looking for some info before I list it so I know what I'm peddling. I did some searching yesterday but I found nothing.
    20191217_164357.jpeg 20191217_164443.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

probably aftermarket.

1950f1heaterbox.jpg

is it this truck you parted out? or is there more than one of them in the world?

Looks like it's a good fit, perhaps it was made by another company to fit Ford trucks from the 48-52 era.

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

There were a variety of heaters offered in 1950 F-1 pickups. Google it and you will see lots of pictures of your heater.
    From Hemmings:
    "The 1950 F1 retailed for approximately $1,200. Other firsts included the "million dollar cab", directed at driver comfort. The seat is adjustable to three positions, there were a variety of heaters offered, and dual windshield wipers, sun visors were optional, as well as dual taillights. The cabs were drafty - but Ford offered a combination of heater, door glass vents and a cowl vent to pressurize the cab to keep out drafts and road dust (however, the cowl vent directs air into the cab at the floor - and blows and floor sand into the driver’s face). The truck came with a 90 day 4,000 mile warranty."
    And a link to the Hemmings article
    https://www.hemmings.com/users/192414/ride/5033.html

NailedElco and squirrel like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Neat, I wondered if it might be original...the only pics I could find that were of "for sure" original heaters, were a different model.

NailedElco likes this.

5. NailedElco

NailedElco

Thanks I figured it was an aftermarket. But I couldn't even find a pic. It did fit nice. Other than it didn't go through factory knockouts for hoses.

6. They are not super valuable, I have gotten $25-50 for good used ones. Most all Ford trucks of that era had that heater, except the "5 star" optioned trucks which had the Magic Air heater.

NailedElco likes this.
  7. NailedElco

NailedElco

Squirrel no the one I'm parting is actually pretty cherry. Basically keeping sheetmetal and flatty it's going on modern chassis. Everything else that I can peddle I'm selling for client. I'd love to keep the roller for myself.

8. NailedElco

NailedElco

RMR&C that's why I was asking. I didn't want to be that guy asking stupid money for a paperweight lol

RMR&C likes this.
  9. It looks fairly universal. In '50 Ford was still 6V, so if the heater is 6V it probably is original. The cherry condition makes me think it's newer than the truck, though.
    But if it's a 12V, and being universal, it can be an easy sell because of a very large buyer pool.

10. catdad49

catdad49

Great looking unit, there should be similar ones out there that would help determine a value. Happy Selling!

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice looking aftermarket heater. A lot of trucks were sold without heaters until at least the late 50s. You either had the dealer install one or you bought one and installed it if you wanted one. A lot of trucks down way south never had heaters put in then.

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. indianmark

indianmark

I have had few 48 to 52 trucks over the years and all of them had the same heater.
    I had always thought they were stock Ford heaters.