Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot Rod Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 17, 2019.

1. With the recent demise of several popular titled automotive magazines do you guys thing Hot Rod Magazine will be able to hold on or even gain readership with all the others going down in flames.

I personally haven't subscribed in quiet some time and don't think I have picked up a Hot Rod magazine in a number of years, I do have a extensive stash of back issues. HRP

2. von zipper

von zipper

I just signed up for two years! they better not go belly up!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I'm due to renew it soon....still up in the air. I've been getting it since 1976.

Driver50x and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Last one I looked at on an airport news stand did not have one thing of interest in it for me. So I put it down and moved on wondering why is it still called Hot Rod.:confused:

5. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Hot Rod is the star of the show. I wouldn't be surprised to see them adopt some stuff from the dropped titles.

6. CME1

CME1

I did not renew when it was due a few months ago. It got to the point, I made a fast look at the pictures and put it in the pile of other mags. The mag just doesn't have the interest it used to. Although I admit I do like to see the ads of what new products are available to the Hot Rod hobby. And like every one here, I have ton's of old car mags to keep me reading if and when needed!

dirty old man and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. For Hot Rod I set aside a couple hours a couple times a year and look at several monthly issues for free at the public library. If I see an article I want to keep, I look it up online when I get back home and print it out.

Phil

8. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

If hot rod was on it's own, I'd have a better feeling about it. But personally, I believe TEN's business model is broken. I'm gonna go with the non-corporate mags myself. Were gonna be going thru a bit more of a consolidation of the whole industry yet. Just my opinion.

9. this is funny
    folks here aint gonna put up with any new fangled parts in a magazine

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Hot Rod lost its appeal in the mid 1990's for me. New school flavor , yuck.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

HRM does occasionally include content that is of interest to those of us on the HAMB. That and some other OT articles of theirs has kept me subscribed for over 20 years. It seems some of what they include is for pure shock value and a complete waste of ink and paper. Still, I think I will go ahead and renew for another couple years. It IS fairly inexpensive, after all.

12. While my heart is with traditional hot rods, my interests encompasses all things auto (transportation) related.
    While I will probably never own a new Ferrari I can appreciate the beauty, design and engineering that goes into one.
    Same goes for these tuners getting 100+ HP per cylinder out of a little 4 banger, not my thing but it is impressive.
    So, while Hot Rod may not have the many of the cars that I love the most, they do have cars and articles that are of interest to me and my hobby. Just because I love traditional hot rods doesn't mean that I can't hook up a laptop to a car and dial the tune in. I just don't talk about it here.
    I will probably re-up. At $1.67 an issue its hard not to.
    Chappy

13. I'm really disappointed with the Street Rodder magazine, the 55 green Ford was not for me. I'm thinking if they would have painted it one color green I would love to win it, however it's more a 60s vibe. Not my cup of tea.

14. redo32

redo32

The masthead used to say "Everybody's Automotive Magazine". Dad bought me my first Hot Rod on my 10th birthday. As a teenager with a paper route I got my first subscription. In 70 years they have covered all aspects of motorsports and hobbies. Dry lakes, Bonneville, drag racing, go karts, motorcycles, desert racing, Nascar, roadracing, boats, new cars, old cars and how to's, new products and shows, and interesting people in the sport.
    I get regular emails from Hot Rod listing various articles and quick reports on activities. I don't find them as enticing as a printed page in my hand and often scroll through them without opening. I hope Hot Rod will embrace the best of all the discontinued titles and expand and enlarge their print existence.

15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I have to agree that color choice left a lot to be desired. Nice car but to me, the paint scheme ruined it.
    The magazine I hated to see go away was "Street Rodder" but I will miss Car Craft and I hated to see Rod & Custom go down the tubes a while back.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

We all hate to see them go but how many subscribers does it take to keep them a float? How many are you willing to buy? I actually looked at the last Hotrod I received this week and the automotive world has changed and I haven't. I'm not into LS or 5.0s or even the late Hemi, forget the rice rockets and I'm not going to drop 90k on anything new.
    The W ford is my interest and is almost 60 years old, it's heyday was in the 80s and 90s, that's 30 years ago so it's old news but there still making new parts for them. The magazines go were the money is and do stories on the new cars and the aftermarket supporting them. Just look at all the ads, I bet is 50/50 ads to content in the pages of Hotrod.

17. ...I commented on the other threads;...I subscribed to at least 5 of the mags that got axed;...some have more than a year left on the subs,...haven't heard what they will do on the un-used portions yet,...I don't want internet versions of mags,,,there are some other great mags still out there, Canadian Hot Rods, Speed & Kulture (coming soon), Street Trucks, Car Culture Deluxe, Ol Skool Rods, and Rodder's Journal, etc,..so not all are lost.
    ...I really will miss Hot Rod Deluxe, one of my favorites.

18. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I was thinking the other day about subscribing to a mag again...haven't done so in years. After thinking about it, I get everything I want to see here. I decided to support the site and join the alliance. Days later the mags crashed....I guess I made a good choice :)

19. 55 ford mag.jpg
    this one?
    thats dang near perfect
    the engine and chassis couldn't be posted here, but I would drive the wheels off it
    this is the style of build most pro shops are doing now
    updated engines and chassis and an old body
    kinda like hot rodding always has

20. oldcootnco

oldcootnco

I got an email from ten publishing. I have a choice of Hot Rod Digital subscription. and two months of Motor Trend ap. I will see if it will stream like Amazon or Netflix. I still miss Rod And Custom. Now I have to fight over the TV.

21. You are disappointed they didn't build a car to suit your taste? Do people listen to themselves? You would love to win it IF it wasn't for the color? What the fuck? How dare they not build a car that you would be ok winning.

22. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Ditto on HRD for me, too! Will miss that much.

HOTRODPRIMER and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. chopndrop

chopndrop

I had a combined 5 years left of car craft and street rodder (that I just signed up for in October as I had let it go earlier). I also get hot rod. The email I received yesterday said I would get a digital subscription to one electronic magazine (didn't specify how long) and 6 months of the streaming app. I will just try and get my money back.

69thumper and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I gave up on Hot Rod mag.,in like 1965 when there was a dune-buggy on the cover,it had been just getting more an more off path from what I liked about it for a few years. Too many new tech art that were only about buy this or that an not much DIY any more. The dune buggy was the last draw for me,it was no longer a real hotrod mag to me. I stayed with Car Craft for a few more years,but it too lost its way,it seemed to me.
    Then some new car mag.s showed up,but had wrong wording for me,calling primer or patina cars finished an other crap like that,still a big no to me..

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  25. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

If there are any people at Hot Rod Magazine reading this you should pick up some of cars/stories that were typically included in Street Rodder , Super Chevy and others and drop some of the bazaar articles you have been running. You have an opportunity to make a great magazine if you will include some of the materials included in the magazines that were dropped. I wish I could be the editor of Hot Rod.

26. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Have All Of The HRM From 1948-70 And Still Read Them But They Left My Olde Ass Behind... thELC07J1Z.jpg

27. hmmmmm
    They should have a form for you to fill out when ya sign up for the magazine that lets you list how the giveaway cars should be built. Then build each subscriber a ride to win. This would eliminate 50% of the bellyaching. The disappointed half will claim they changed their mind.
    A giveaway car is a ride that showcases products supplied by the sponsors.
    Parts manufacturers, material suppliers and the shop building it get a ton of advertising.
    As the magazines decline, so will these giveaway cars thus eliminating a reason for folks to complain about them.
    So I guess every cloud has a silver lining.

28. My dissapointment came a few years ago when the mags were cut in half in content and all the articles seem to be an ad for some product. I don't share the opinion about high end builds. I started following this in 1962. I always looked at the cool stuff and set my goals to be better with each build. I'm not going to have an ultra tech build but there has been trickle down in hotrodding forever. If there hadn't been show quality rods, would there have been as much chrome on cars? If racing didn't trickle down, would there be quick change rears under street cars? Most marvel at a traditional rod done to a to a high degree of fit and finish. If the whole sport hadn't progressed, would that be happening?:)

29. the "king" of magazines [imho] is Hemmings motor news. great mix of articles on EVERY type vehicle. event coverage, how to, and parts info. the Bible. funny thing is it is mostly advertising [car ads].;)
    this is the magazine that will and should survive. put your magazine dollars there.

30. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The workmanship on the vehicle is outstanding, but for my tastes the color sucks and I find the graphics unappealing and kinda amatuerish for a professional paint job. I admit I'm not a fan of those types of graphics because I think they don't harmonize with the lines of the vehicle. If I won the car, I'd sell it because I would not enjoy driving it.Any of the cars pictured below would suit my tastes much better.

View attachment 4515776
    View attachment 4515777
    56 Ford 3.jpg
    56 Ford 4.jpg
    56 Ford 5.jpg
    To each his own...........;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2019