Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is Lubriplate and Anti-Seize the same thing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Youngin', Dec 17, 2019.

1. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

I've always put a dab of anti-seize on many things. However, I've seen several references to Lubriplate and Vern Tardel mentions it in his book, too.

2. Dennis D

Dennis D

3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Lubriplate is actually a brand name. (So is Hysol, btw) They make all kinds of products. Usually, people mean the moly (molybdenum) stuff. I think.

Blues4U and Flathead Youngin' like this.
  4. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lubriplate 105 is what most refer to as just Lubriplate. It's a white grease. Nothing like never seize. They also make other products.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use anti-seize on fastners when It’s possible I need them remove them Even with nyloc nuts. (Bonneville can be cruel) Anti-seize is always on SS fasteners. I also use it on surfaces like disc brake hats and drums to flanges.
    Lubriplate goes on rubbing surfaces like brake shoes on backing plates, door stars and jams, window mechanism, hinges, etc...

loudbang and Flathead Youngin' like this.
  6. theboss20

theboss20

No...Lubriplate is a white grease that we used to use for main bearing and crankshaft pre-lube and also on drum brake backing plates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. RmK57

RmK57

Lubriplate is meant for assembling moving parts. Anti-seize for non-moving parts.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not true. It still took a wrench to remove the nut down to past the nylon in the nut. Every nut on my LSR vehicles had a nylon locker same with dirt track there was also anti-seize on everything on the salt. Nothing ever vibrated loose since 1975.

9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Isn't it just great when two guys have completely different points of view, and one calls a lier..!
    What a joke.

"Anti-Seize" (or an off brand never-seize) is meant to help two pieces of metal...NOT...seize..!
    Especially when using stainless steel nuts and threaded fasteners, or around parts that run hot, exhaust fasteners, etc.
    It works well to help keep the aluminum threads in cylinder heads, various fasteners AND spark plugs.

Lubriplate is a white grease with various soaps in it to help make it a lubricant. Some use it as an engine assembly lube, though I never would..! It has its place, but NOT to be used in place of a quality Anti-Seize compound.

Mike

HemiDeuce likes this.
  10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Kinda similar to Astro Glide and Ora Gel

427 sleeper, dan c, bobss396 and 2 others like this.
  11. noboD

noboD

There is a high temp never seize too, it is also food grade. No aluminum or copper grit. I have used lots of it in food plants.

loudbang and Flathead Youngin' like this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No offense take here. With the experience I've had using them together, the securing was never in question and the ability to remove the fastener in adverse conditions was what I stated. Under normal circumstances I would not use them together and would have used a lock washer or other type. We have so much knowledge on this site from real practical experience that doesn't make sense but works.

loudbang and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  13. noboD

noboD

Ny-locks are only meant to be used once, thrown away when removed.

partssaloon, loudbang and clem like this.
  14. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I used to mix lubriplate and napa engine honey into a big cup, stir and mix well and assembly my engines with it. Done every engine that way. Learned it from an old mechanic.

Think of anti seize as a anti rust for threads. We assembly every front end part with it.

15. fordor41

fordor41

I use anti-seize on any fastener under the car, no exceptions

bobss396 and deathrowdave like this.
  16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Small stainless screws with Ny-locks can be a bitch as in chassis aluminum work, they can gall and will not come off without destroying the nut or screw. I can see using anti sieze on those. Lippy

deathrowdave likes this.
  17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

In the rust belt where I watch over a piece of dirt , I never attach one piece of hardware without applying anti seize . I worked on stuff buried for 30 years, after you cut the hot wax coating off it , if it was assembled with anti seize it would come apart just as it went together . A 6 oz can lasts me 35 years , if it gets thick and dry , just add a couple drops of oil and stir up the mix and your good for years again .

Johnboy34, loudbang and j-jock like this.
  18. no55mad

no55mad

In the good old days, antiseize was composed with lead; that stuff seems to end up everywhere!

19. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I've taken a seized engine apart with the oil pump pickup tube plugged with Lubriplate white grease. Oil just didn't break it down. I have a feeling someone went a little overboard with the Lubriplate

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Blues4U, bobss396 and loudbang like this.
  20. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

We used Lubriplate on our M-1s', and M-14s' bolt action back in the 60s'.

21. partssaloon

partssaloon

They make Anti-Seize in Aluminum Complex, Copper Complex, Nickel Complex, Moly Complex, Aluminum-Copper Hybrid, Food Grade Complex, and Food Grade with PTFE.
    So research what your needs are.

270dodge likes this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Ugggghhh, no. Not a great idea.

23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This is why you shouldn't use it for bearings. That is one old practice that needs to die.

24. Hop2it

Hop2it

Lubriplate also makes oil I worked in a factory and it was my job to change the compressor oil and that was all they would use.by the way I worked for them from 1965 till 1968
    Doug

25. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I still use surplus little yellow jars of lubriplate to lubricate my m-1s and my m14.

26. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

I use anti-seize on a lot of things. Probably things most of you would cringe at; some gasket surfaces, king pins, about any nut/bolt that I'll be the next guy removing it.

I kept seeing references to Lubriplate and specifically Vern Tardel suggests it throughout many of his books. So, I was just trying to figure out what exactly it is. Now that there are multiple kinds, I'm even more confused haha!