Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pulling the trigger on this one today. What Am I In For.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by keith27T, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Like Bill said, it's hard to find a complete Mustang front that's good to use. If you do, it can be done, just lots of trimming and fitting to get the Ford crossmembr to match the frame rails.
    If you do go M11, and I think they are good for these cars, and if use the original style struts, they mount to a bracket that welds to the bottom of the frame hat. The hat tin on the bottom of the Chevy frame is lighter gauge than the rest of the frame rails. What I did with mine, was remove the tin, and weld in a heavier gauge piece, to give a better weld for those brackets. In fact, I fitted the brackets and new plate to chassis, tacked together, then bench welded everything together. Then welded that sub-assembly to frame. I was doing this on a rolling car, so couldn't flip frame for better welding.
    The cars have lots of room, great ride, and look good too.

2. Well got around to pressure washing it today and removing the infested seat now time for a little relaxing. IMG_2531.JPG IMG_2520.JPG IMG_2521.JPG IMG_2519.JPG IMG_2529.JPG IMG_2524.JPG IMG_2523.JPG IMG_2525.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

grille looks good

4. Ya came with another as well.

5. How about a stock 39 Chevy axle? They came from the factory with them, simple easy.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  6. I would be nice to find one.

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I know we don't talk about frame clips here, but a friend of mine has a 40 Chevy coupe with a Nova or Camaro front frame clip, 350/350. He says it drives great. Just something else to consider, while not exactly traditional.....

8. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

My project car is a virtual twin to yours, though it's a Master with a beam axle, not a Master Deluxe with knee action suspension.

A beam axle shouldn't be hard to find. Start looking, if that's the way you want to go.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  9. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

To answer your question on the M2 setup. By the time you buy a complete front end from one of the aftermarket companies, you can afford to look for a beam axle and adapt later brakes. Mine stayed in a fencerow forever. Long gone and had no idea I would regret it. Back then "street rods" were the ticket. Now you are posting on a traditional site, so one can only assume you want to stay true to that or at least lean towards it. Sure you can get out the checkbook and start writing but most of the fun will be scouring the swapmeets. 37 and 38 share the exact same frame and somebody maycan help, the 38 pickups might have the straight axle. Not sure if it is a fit myself. Still think it would be cool to be diferent.

keith27T likes this.
  10. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I vote for an axle, Just had my 37 out today with the new engine . Hauls ass doing 80 in the fast lane one hand on the wheel . Properly set up with new tie rod ends and proper caster and toe in they drive just fine.

TrailerTrashToo and keith27T like this.

11. We got a couple swap meets to come around here in the fall, and one more in Monroe I think, so I will be looking. In the mean time I have to move a few things around to give it a dry winter home, and see if I can free up this 216 it's stuck. There's no way to get a bar on it from the front, without taking the hood and grill off. Maybe I can try and tow it? Have transmission fluid/acetone down the fire holes. Bin soaking for a week. Thinking this motor might be okay as there wasn't much oil around the blow by tube? We will have to see.

12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ARP do a great crank nut for sbc .ARP#134-2503.it has a large hex head that accepts an 1/2"square drive.maybe they do one for your engine.i plug my torque spanner into it when I need to turn the motor over.its a great job.they also do deep head 12 point crank bolts .hood will come off easy with another pair of hands .38 pu s have a straight axle with parallel leaves.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

14. Wow.
    Interesting. Makes you think if those kits can handle this heavy of a car, without all the extra work.

15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I think they do when the design flaws are dealt with.EL POLACKO made me aware of potential issues with some IFS kits I addressed the issues with my kit.,which should never have left the factory with.and would have cost very little to address.i still have another 2 plates to weld in.SAFETY FIRST !!!!

best wishes with the 38 looking forward to the build,saving another one.chris

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    keith27T likes this.
  16. Will a 37 straight axle from a truck work?
    Just seen one craigslist

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. Well final got a new place to work on the car, and had to move as the other place was to small.
    Some progress.
    Putting in a 59 235 and keeping the rest all stock.
    Put oil in the knee action shocks and no leaks. yet??
    Rear end turns out to be 3.55. rare one.

Attached Files:

18. Budget36

Budget36

I was wondering the same thing, or any pre-55 Chevy/GMC PU? Would be 6 lug and match your rear axle (if I'm counting correctly)-assuming the BP is the same.

19. If you wanted to build one of these on a budget and update the front end away from the knee action, why couldn't you use a 59-54 Chevy car front suspension on it? They'd be cheap to buy, and the parts are out there because it was shared with Corvette to '62. If it doesn't bolt right up to the frame maybe you have to drill the holes for it.

About the only real difference in frames from 37 to 54 is they get a little longer as the wheelbase goes up to 115". And the 49-up go to the 5-lug wheels.

And the other cheap alternative is the same as those 49-54 Chevys use, a Jaguar XJ front end. That could work too.

dirty old man likes this.
  20. Final got the 235 in.
    It is not just a drop in.
    Had to modify the rear cross member, so the oil pan will not hit it and modify the front cross member to make room for the harmonic balancer.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    So if your trying this you have to do these crossmember mods to get the 235 in there!

D.Lee, mgtstumpy, lumpy 63 and 2 others like this.
  21. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy unsprung weight Batman!!

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.

22. Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. [​IMG][​IMG]

Have to move the rad ahead about an inch fan is touching the rad now.

mgtstumpy and ferus88 like this.
  24. Couple more better pictures IMG_2799.JPG IMG_2800.JPG IMG_2801.JPG

25. Found a front bumper for it on ebay. thumbnail_IMG_2852.jpg thumbnail_IMG_2853.jpg

Attached Files:

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Looks pretty solid. Your going to have a couple of years of fun ahead of you. Keep us posted on your progress.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. Isn't this with EVERY car?:rolleyes:

28. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like you left the knee-action in. Good luck with that.

29. Tubman
    we’ll see how it goes!
    Replacing radius rods and seals on backing plates.
    Yes these knee action are quite something

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

You are so right on the suspension. Mustang II is the best way to go. It might not be approved of on here, but the kits make it easy and the car will ride and handle fantastic

dirty old man likes this.