Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 Ford cowl measurements

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mat Thrasher, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Can someone give me the measurements of the front and back between the body lines?

Thanks

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Where did you get this hose patch panels from. I got a set from a reputable local retailer and they don't have th curve at th drear for the door, they're just straight...

3. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I just checked... 22" at the front; 23 1/4" at the rear with the curvature.

5. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

Mine measure 22'' front 23" at the A piller

6. alchemy

alchemy

Personally, I wouldn't install that until the door is hung and the rocker is in place. Much easier to wiggle the patch panel a little to fit the rocker than to wiggle the door and rocker to fit the cowl patch.

Kiwi 4d, kidcampbell71, clem and 2 others like this.
  7. clem

clem

^^^^^^ this.
    Get the door gaps correct, all around, with the bottom door gap correct you can line the cowl patch up with your sill. (rocker).
    Chances are you will get a variation in measurements. The cars being measured may not be original, and even the originals will vary.

big duece likes this.
  8. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thanks for the info, guys.

My first plan was to get the cowl squared away then fix and hang the doors. Before I rehung the back of the body. But I believe you guys are correct. I'll get the doors hung and swinging and realign everything by the beltline.

All feedback and advice is appreciated. Here's an image of what I'm dealing with. Not one bit of a subrail and very bad chop done years ago.

Attached Files:

clem likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Put the rubber gasket between the firewall and cowl band before you do any fitting/welding. It will effect how everything fits. We've tried four different firewall-to-cowl gaskets in the last year and found the one from Vintique to be the best fit.

Once the firewall is bolted down solid, then the cowl attached to it, hang the doors and adjust the gap at the front edge by bending hinges if necessary. Then you can float the rear half of the body to match the beltline up. Ignore the roof, since it was chopped that stuff might not fit right. Hopefully the rest of the body back there is kinda in the right spot, up/down wise. A great way to see of the back end of the body is at the right height is to install a fender and make sure the front edge lines up correctly on the frame. You've gotta have somebody around with a nice sedan fender you can borrow.

10. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Good advice, I have the cowl to firewall gasket all ready. I will be taking the roof completely off at some point because the chop is so bad. I know the roof is not straight.

Actually, I made a deal on fenders and a nice drivers door last night. That was my plan to use the rear fenders to help line up the back of the body. I highly doubt the back of the body is in the right spot. Plus I will be patching in the wheel wells and rear panel from a Fordor. I need all the help I can get, getting this body back in shape.