Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 61 Impala SS (four door)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DDDenny, Jan 15, 2016.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Food for thought only because I drank too much coffee and couldn't sleep.
    So, one of these things may just be as rare as unicorn shit, doesn't keep any one of us from putting one together, no not one of those bogus builds that people try to pass off as the real deal just a fun project.
    Let's say we just happened to have a suitable candidate and just to make things interesting, say we coincidentally had a few engines laying around such as a 327 fuelie, a tri power 348, or as long as we're dreaming maybe a 2x4 409 with a T-10 four speed, or a Muncie laying under the bench without a home, you'd be half way there.
    Now I know a hot rod 61 Impala four door isn't everyones cup of tea, kind of like deuce four door sedans but some people dig them right, and no doubt there have been some built with any one of the above combinations.
    So what do all you gearheads think would make a cool sleeper type car?
    Kind of a "what if" car like the guys at the GM skunkworks might have screwed together.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    mr57 and chevy57dude like this.
  2. How about a Sedan delivery or 2 door Bel Air wagon?
    [​IMG]
    Someone could make an El Camino out of a wagon..

3. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Except for 61

LowKat likes this.
  4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

A '61 El Cameano SS, can anyone photoshop that, please?

scotty t likes this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Four door, preferably a Sport Sedan.

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

A 4 door 61 SS would be cool if we could ever finally talk you into building it!
    Go! Go! Go!:)
    This is a great idea and your chance to be known and remembered in the car world for the car that may have been or could have been for years to come!
    Go! Go! Go!

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Right!
    I'll get on that.......as soon as I finish the three projects already in the works.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Could always sell one or two off???:)
    Any pics of the burb build?
    Its a shared body style of the accepted year cutoff here and is allowed if its a traditional like build.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yeh, been giving that some thought lately.

10. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

....And 1969.

LowKat likes this.
  11. Evidently in '61 according to the paperwork posted you had to have a W motor for it to be an SS but the paperwork also mentions that SS is a trim package. In the years passed '61 they build a lot of small block SS cars.

All that said I am with @DDDenny if you have everything to build an SS other then the original paperwork and a good donor body why not? We see clones of one of everything here on the HAMB.

Just for fun a high school friend owned a '64 Impala SS 396. yea yea I know never made one. He started with a clean SS 327 car so it was a real SS. I helped stuff the genuine L78 (375 horse) 396 in it and he had the 396 Badges from a Chevelle SS 396 all of them that we swapped on in place of the original SS badges.

Was it the real deal? Ah hell no. But we were hot rodders and in high school, we didn't care. All we cared about was having fun and it was a good looking car that "would motate".

'34 Ratrod and Rich S. like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

13. [​IMG]
    Stole this from a Fakebook page. Would this have been cool or what? and would the SS option have been available??

Darryl Deir, scotty t and slim38 like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow, that's wild! I actually like that two-tone paint combination too.
    Even though the factory brochure artists of the period made them appear somewhat lower than reality, this P-shop artist is apparently of the "lay'n frame" persuasion. It would have been more believable had he not made it look so much like a "bagger".
    Based on the Chevrolet literature the SS was available in four doors so if that was possible I would guess this one would have been too.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Well, I didn't get my Christmas wish for a SS four door but maybe the coming year will bring us some inspiration.

16. loudbang

loudbang

How about a genuine GM add for one? :rolleyes:

SS1.jpg

SS2.jpg

Moriarity, chevy57dude and LowKat like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

18. [​IMG]
    Random pic from out there...Anyone find junkyard gold over the summer? Also, are there SS-specifric wheelcovers for 61?

41 coupe, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Yes on the wheelcovers. They look like non-SS covers with the addition of spinners but the real ones aren't cutout where the non-SS emblems are and the SS spinners attach. Here's some NOS '61 SS.

z 1961 Impala SS hubcaps 4.jpg
    z 1961 Impala SS hubcaps 3.jpg
    z 1961 Impala SS hubcaps 1.jpg

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not usually a four door fan but that 61 four door hardtop thats lowered with decent wheels and tires on it looks pretty good.

loudbang likes this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Thanks guys for bringing this out into the daylight.
    Gman
    Nowadays, I'm of the opinion that most any car looks better lowered at least a little.
    When I bought my 61 Sport Sedan in 1969, my first car, it had air shocks on it and the raised rear look was in full swing so that's how I ran it.
    As I recall, I said prior that it was black and came with ET and Dragmaster five spokes, the prior owner had painted them black and it really looked good, but you know what they say about
    "the first time", and I think if I was to actually recreate that car I would stay with that look if nothing but for nostalgic reasons.

chevy57dude and chryslerfan55 like this.

22. Is this it?
    Looks like a plexiglass hood on the 4 door.

1961 Chevy Impala at show factory photo 1b.jpg

Nope, not it.
    Same car, same show.
    No SS hubcaps.

1961 Chevy Impala at unknown.jpg

scotty t and loudbang like this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow Mark, I've seen that photo before but never noticed the clear hood, I know GM did that on promotional cars over the years, how cool would that be to have one on a 61.

24. Yea, on one of these.

1961 Chevy El Camino model 1.jpg

1961 Chevy El Camino model 2.jpg

belair, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow, where did that come from?
    If that was to be a "putting out feelers" concept car that clear hood would "clearly" get their attention if the overall car didn't.

26. Computer generated for fun by somebody on an Impala forum I visit.

loudbang likes this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

28. Its also missing the SS cross flag emblem, though it does have the big block insert in the grille. There wouldn't be any SS cars in that display since I am guessing it was for the "New" 61 models, so it would be late 60 when the photo was taken. The SS option wasn't available or marketed till mid year 61 from my understanding as there were so few SS cars built. I once did a lot of research on the 61 SS cars in high school as my grandfather had a 61 Impala that we could never confirm was a true SS car but everything was correct, minus the wheels.

loudbang and LowKat like this.
  29. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

upload_2019-12-16_3-29-34.jpeg
    Thought of your old car again when I saw this in the sitting rotting thread
    (Boaz Alabama) always think of the , what if, if that one could have been a super sport, now:D

30. I recently sold this 61, original car, 235,pg. 20190717_192843.jpg

Bleach and 61Cruiser like this.