Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mystery Adapter, Chevy to....?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewk, Dec 12, 2019.

1. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Hey, you guys know everything (or act like you do). What does this thing fit? I can get it very reasonably.

Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Ford blue paint?

lewk likes this.
  3. Looks a lot like a block plate for a scatter shield

4. oldolds

oldolds

Just a guess. To put a hydromatic behind a Chevy ?

lewk and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. Andy

Andy

The trans had a circular mounting flange and a very high mounted starter on the passenger side. The high right side starter should be the clue. I have no idea.

lewk and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Could be Y Block Ford?

lewk likes this.
  7. Andy

Andy

There is an ad for a Y block adapter in the swap section. Looks close to me.

lewk likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

if you flipped the adapter over, would it fit onto this bellhousing?

y block.jpg

lewk and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  9. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

It sure looks like SBC to Y Block, doesn't it. It makes sense. The guy who owned it had a couple of '57 Ranchero's sitting around and a bunch of mid to late 60's 327s and 350s. I scored a bare standard bore '67 Chevelle L79 327 block. Heads and intake were long gone.

scotty t, 1Nimrod and squirrel like this.
  10. Why would they be bolting a SBC to a Y block ?

11. TERPU

TERPU

They are bolting a Y-Block trans to a SBC. OR putting a Chevy in a former Y-Block Car. Looks like Squirrel is spot on with the diagnosis. That's a pretty neat piece.

lewk likes this.
  12. X-cpe

X-cpe

That doesn't look like the stoutest adapter system. On the adapter there is no provision for the 10 &2 o'clock bolts to the block, only the two bolts on each side and one at 12 o'clock. On the bellhousing it looks like you loose the bolt below the starter because it looks like you have to hacksaw a portion of the bellhousing out for the Chevy starter to clear. Although you do get the outside Ford starter bolt to help hold the adapter to the bellhousing.

13. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Is it one of those adapters they made for SBC if the starter mount area has been broke off ? Is it used so they can mount the starter back on the block like the older bell housing starter's use to be mounted?? instead of making ugly welds on the side of the block trying to repair the broken starter mount or tossing the block because it may not be able to be welded or fixed they made an adapter for the starter to mount ??? Just a thought...
    1Nimrod

ted kovacs likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

It's definitely an adapter, but it will work on a Chevy block without the starter holes.

If it were merely a starter repair adapter like you suggest, it would not have the Ford starter hole, or those studs.

15. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

If you could strip the old paint and gunk off carefully maybe some numbers or company name or logo might be stamped into the adapter plate to help ID it better?

1Nimrod

16. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Attached Files:

17. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Maybe someone added the studs?
    It looks somewhat like them Squirrel!
    1Nimrod

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  18. squirrel

squirrel

It's obvious to me that it's an adapter to made a Ford Y block bellhousing to a Chevy engine. I don't know what else to say.

mountainman2 and Andy like this.
  19. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Squirrel compared to you I'm just a baby lost in the big woods and learning how to find my way around. Thank You for your help Squirrel.

1Nimrod

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  20. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Looks like they made some mods on it like the studs and welded on the nuts for the starter mount or are they built that way? How's come? anyone have an ideal? Sir Squirrel could you explain why??
    Thank You again for your help...

1Nimrod

21. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Definitely an adapter, most likely to fit Y Block trans. Nuts are there since the early Chevys had bell housing mounted starters and the studs had to be used instead of a bolt since they overlap the Chevy block flange. The plate is too thin to thread a bolt into.

1Nimrod likes this.