Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Would you sell your car to a friend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AldeanFan, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

Not for a long time. I sold my 57 hardtop to a friend a long time ago. A couple days later I get a visit from two deputies. Seems he was in a bad accident which almost killed his wife and he had never transferred the title.

2. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I was actually supposed to sell my Tbird to a buddy I went to high school with. He ended up backing out at the last minute cause the motor was out of the car and he had just rear ended someone in his accord. We still work on it together but at this point I don’t think I’d sell to a friend again.

3. Hmmm....now that I remember, I sold that same guy my 1930 DeSoto straight eight sedan when I graduated from high school. He promptly sold it. I guess I should have learned back then to NOT sell him anymore cars. Picture 1000.jpg

4. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Nope, I would probably have sellers remorse and it would bother me every time I saw it...

olscrounger likes this.
  5. dylan60

dylan60
    from ny

6. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

My friends, I use the term lightly, have asked me to put them in my will to get the old cars. I've sold one old car in my life and always regretted it. So no I would not sell the car to a friend or anybody else, that's just me .I notice that every so often my wife wants to know what the cars are worth. So if I did leave it in my will to someone else I'm sure she would desecrate my grave

7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

If I wasn't married to the car, I would have no problems selling it to someone I know. I've sold 2 cars to my father in law, neither of which he's enjoyed, and eventually sold. But I was honest with him about what work needed to be done and he was OK with that. As long as there's no hiding the ball in terms of condition or issues, I don't see. problem with it.

8. RmK57

RmK57

Yes I'd sell to a friend. But I would tell him up front, anything that falls off I get to keep.:rolleyes:

9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, I would not sell to a friend so that only leaves the latter ......................................................

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    To my brother and me, selling to friends is a reason to have friends in the first place. They usually rode around in our cars, helped keep them clean when asked and always pitched in money for gas on long road trips. If there was anyone to be the next generation of buyers for our cars, it was a friend. Add in the offer of fixing anything that popped up after the sale and continuing to ride around in it was always a good offer. Of course, everyone rode around in the others’ hot rods and cruisers on different Friday and Saturday nights.

When my brother was getting ready to buy his 58 Impala in the fall of 1957, he had his pale yellow 51 Oldsmobile Sedan painted a Lime Green. His friend had offered to buy it, if it was painted a Lime Green. So, the cost was included and the process was done to satisfy the sale. They both continued to drive around in the newly painted Lime Green 51 Olds as it was a looker and cool car.

51 Olds Long Beach

When it was my time to sell the 58 Impala to fund college days, it was sold to a good friend. He had driven around with me on different days and loved the action that the Impala created every time. The custom hot rod touches sealed the deal and he was a happy camper. The Impala remained in Long Beach, but I was not able to ride around in it again. These days, I am sure the friend was so happy that he was the owner of the 58 black Impala. It was one of a kind in Bixby Knolls and elsewhere in So Cal.

Jnaki

Selling to friends does have its advantages. If you are not trying to pull one over on the buyer and stand by your build skills. Then, you are in essence, giving a guarantee that the car will be a good cruiser and not stop by the side of the road. The implications were there in the quality of the build and experience being in the actual car purchased.

How could one not like the mods done to the Impala and the surge/power it creates upon acceleration? Plus, the friend was a good mechanic, too. (But, he had to buy Buick bolt pattern wheels for future applications, since I had converted the drums/axles from Chevy to Buick… for the Buick Skylark Wire Wheels.)
    upload_2019-12-15_4-38-52.png
    Thanks, @themoose
    upload_2019-12-15_4-35-21.png

TerrytheK likes this.
  11. X-cpe

X-cpe

At the high school I sold a few donated cars to help support the program. Sold them dirt cheap and only to fellow teachers who understood. Some people (who I never would sell to) wanted to cut the price and thought they should come with an unlimited warranty and a lifetime maintenance contract.

12. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I sold a c10 I owned for many years to a friend. He lived about 200 miles from me and i told him I'd only sell it if he would sell it back to me if he ever wanted to get rid of it. Well about 2 years later a guy called me and said my old truck was parked on the side of the rode with $500 shoe shined on windshield. He said it looked rough and that he heard a guy was going to buy it when he got off work that day. I told him to buy it and I would take him cash the next day. He did and I got her back. I was pissed but I figured guy was embarrassed for me to see condition the truck was in. Dont sell to friends!

j3harleys likes this.
  13. Dylan nailed it. Sometimes i need somebody to convince me that what I'm doing is ok when in reality, all that matters is what i think. Personally when i sale one, i don't wanna see it again lol

dylan60 likes this.
  14. I seem to get the best deals buying and selling to friends. Race cars, trailers, cars and trucks.
    2X, I just don't like to see the vehicles again..and the new owners understand.

15. Yes, I will sell to a friend or anyone in town, cars are easy to get, good friends aren't, a least they aren't for me. BigO

16. heh heh
    I sold one once and then bought it right back a year later.
    I missed it too much :)
    I have some friends I would very much trust to take proper care of my car, and a few I wouldn't dare sell to, knowing full well they would be forever asking me "do this do that..."

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

17. Flathead Aaron

Flathead Aaron

I always try to sell out of state so I don't have to see it and think man why did I do that. LOL

18. Same here. I've bought/sold/traded to many of my friends and we're all still friends. The trick is to drive 'em around in the car on several occasions so they know about the car. Sold my 33 pickup to T-man here on the HAMB after we spent a weekend in it cruising K.C. on one of Ryan's speed and power meets.
    If you're honest about condition of the car a friend won't bitch about it....not a good friend.

19. spanners

spanners

Back in the late '70s I'd spent a long time fixing up an EH Holden Ute (google it). I owned it for a few years and whilst I didn't win any trophies with it, I got a lot of good feedback about it.
    I moved to Sydney but it was not suited to the stop and go traffic so sold it to a 'mate' I worked with. "Yeah mate I'll look after it, always wanted one like this. Treat it like a baby I will".
    Sold it to him on the Monday afternoon, Thursday afternoon dead centred a power pole. He survived, the Ute didn't, our friendship didn't.

20. I have previously built two cars, a 37 Chev coupe and a 64 Biscayne post, and sold both of them to the very same friend who always seems to have disposable cash lying around. Actually, he hired me to turn the coupe into a finished rod which took me about two years from start to finish then he wanted more room to carry friends so he bought my newly finished 64 and continues to drive both to this day. And yes we are still good friends to this day.

21. I sold a good, but not perfect 1964 Ford that I had owned for 25 years to a friend. He knew what he would get and he knows what it means to drive a 50+ years old car.
    I knew that he would not come back to me for every small problem that might occur on an old car.
    I made him a good price and thus avoided all the tire kickers and nit-pickers. Happy that the car is in good hands now. Never looked back.

22. Sure, it is always "Buyer Beware", so you tell them all you know and then cut them loose to enjoy it. JW

23. Depends on the circumstances I guess. I buy, sell, and trade to a good friend all the time.

Another friend, however, sold me a sob story a while ago. I had a car that I really wanted to keep, and his wife just left him. He told me that he needed something to take his mind off of her leaving, and he laid the guilt on me heavy to sell that car to him so he could restore it.

I initially told him no. I thought about it for about two weeks, and I called him to see if he was still interested. He was. I sold it to him. A week (ONE WEEK!) later, he sold it to someone else for a lot more money.

I'm not mad about the money. I really wanted that car, and he knew what he was going to do the whole time. It damaged the friendship. He was one of my closest friends at that time. What a waste...

24. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had that same experience. Just one of the benefits of treating folks right.
    So yes, I've sold cars to friends, strangers, even relatives. Never had a problem and I'd do it again.

25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I worked for a used car dealer years ago that said he had to sell cars to his friends as his enemies wouldn't buy from him and when I questioned him about why he didn't give his friends a better price on a car than he would an average customer? He said that if anything would happen to the car that was unexpected he would be able to take care of fixing it for them. I thought that was a pretty wise way to handle things!

26. exterminator

exterminator

I did once despite my wife saying no and in about four-five years later I traded him to get it back which is my 40 in my avatar.

27. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I sold my 65 Chevy panel truck back to my friend who sold it to me. I had it for a couple years. He was very happy to get it back. He owned it over 20 years before he sold it to me. I was happy to see him back in it. I bought my 29 Ford with the money. Now I'm here.