Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking for history of Fort Worth car clubs and culture.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elsangre, Apr 14, 2013.

1. elsangre

elsangre

I was hoping to find out some info on a car club in my area.

Found this here on the HAMB through a link.

[​IMG]

Any info or leads would be awesome, I did a google search with no luck.
    Also was curious on what T.C.M.A.A stands for.
    We think F.W.P.D stands for Fort Worth Police Department.

Thanks y'all

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. elsangre

elsangre

Not sure if these two are related yet. Weatherford is about 30 miles west of Fort Worth
    [​IMG]

3. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

TCMAA stands for Tarrant County Modified Automobile Assn and there is a link to some of their club plaques on our website .....

I also have a photo of the Bombers plaque there .....

[​IMG]
    ..... and you are correct about the FWPD.​

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  4. elsangre

elsangre

Thanks man, and thanks for the work you do, your site is awesome.

One theory so far is they may have been connected to lockheed here in Fort Worth. We are tracking down old timers now :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

5. elsangre

elsangre

Just an update, found a member here on the HAMB! His profile page has "Bombers (Fort Worth)" under car club. Sent him a PM.

6. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Thanks for your kind comment.

I just tried E-mailing the person that sent me the photo of the Bombers plaque in March of 2005 but his E-mail address is no longer valid. If you make contact with the HAMBer you found, and if they were a member of this club, ask him/her to PM me so I can add them to my list as a contact.

7. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Any DFW area people know anything about this? Or have any contacts that might know? We have hit some deadends, most of the info we have, we gathered the first day.
    Thanks ahead for your help.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. mr.32

mr.32

You need to be at the Busy Bee Bakery in Ft. Worth any Sunday morning 7:00 AM til 9:00 Am. Alot of old guys from that period, hang there. If they don't know they'll make something up!

9. elsangre

elsangre

Got this from a friend tonight (325w here on the HAMB), he had some great stuff and some more leads.

[​IMG]

If you look closely the top left guy is wearing a Bombers (Fort Worth) jacket.

10. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Thank you 325w! I appreciate you taking the time to meet with ElSangre and sharing this info. I can't wait to see what else he found out.
    Scott

11. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

I don't know if this helps but while down for LSRU I saw a few guys with Bomber shirts on from Houston I believe.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Those were the "H BOMBS"? Not the same thing. I hang out with them.

13. trentagxw

trentagxw
    from new york

Some of us on here are thinking about reviving the name[​IMG]

14. elsangre

elsangre

Thanks Voodoo, every lead helps.
    Mr.32 we are going to Busy Bee this sunday, would be great to meet up with you.

15. elsangre

elsangre

Talked to Mr. Newhouse today. Awesome guy, one of the original members of the Blasters car club. He would love to be in contact with anyone from that era. Rather then give his personal info here, you can PM me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  16. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I also had a contact today, learned some more about the Bombers and the Rattlers. Each person we talk to leads us to another. Very cool history, I encourage everyone to look into the history of the clubs from their city.

17. Will350z

Will350z

Maybe it's time we resurrect some of these clubs...?

18. elsangre

elsangre

Our main goal has changed into learning and researching the history of the Fort Worth car scene. We have a rich culture here, and it has been awesome talking with some of the members of the TCMAA. Some of the are still around and hanging out.

19. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

It's unlikely a club would/could be "revived" and that's not what our goal is. We are more interested In their history and organization. At the time these were formed they were really laying the foundation for what we now refer to as traditional hot rodding. They were very community oriented and wanted to shed a positive light on the group. Cory has obtained a lot of cool info. And more than anything we want to learn from them and if the time is right pattern a club after the way it was.
    We do things differently and probably wouldn't have been able to join back then .
    Most importantly we want to show these guys we want to honor the tradition and not copy or steal anything from them. Anyone interested should come to Griffs EDIT (4/24/13 on belknap @ 6:30 PM) and check out what he has found.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  20. elsangre

elsangre

Mr.32 great call on Busy Bs, we learned so much. Best line
    "don't let the truth get in the way of a good story"
    classic!

We got to meet a bunch of cool people.
    Met old members of : Bombers, Pythons, Creepers!

21. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

We had a very fun morning, thanks to all that took time to talk to us. Our City has a rich and overlooked/lost hotrod history. 3 of us have decided to make this personal project and help contribute to someone else who started this research. You could say we have been inspired and our interest was sparked by what we found in the previous posted documents.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. Did a little research to try and help you out. Here is a list of clubs with the TCMAA on them and others in the same cities.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="979"><colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:10780;width:227pt" width="303"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:5376;width:113pt" width="151"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:4721;width:100pt" width="133"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:1166;width:25pt" width="33"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3299;width:70pt" width="93"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:9472;width:200pt" width="266"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl65" style="height:14.4pt;width:227pt" height="19" width="303">Rod Pushers</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-left:none;width:113pt" width="151">Ft. Worth</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-left:none;width:100pt" width="133"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-left:none;width:25pt" width="33"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-left:none;width:70pt" width="93"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-left:none;width:200pt" width="266"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl65" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" height="19">Blue Angels</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Fort Worth</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Texas</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">TX</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl65" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" height="19">Outlaws</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Fort Worth</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Texas</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">TX</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Outlaw Sports Car Asso.</td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl65" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" height="19">Rebels</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Fort Worth</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl65" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" height="19">Rod Burners</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Fort Worth</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Texas</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">TX</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl65" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" height="19">Tach Twisters</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Fort Worth</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Texas</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">TX</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">RPM</td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl65" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" height="19">Toppers</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Fort Worth</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">TX</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">FWPD TCMAA</td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl65" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" height="19">Bombers </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Weatherford</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Texas</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">TX</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl65" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" height="19">Midnighters</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Weatherford</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Tex</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">TX</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">FWPD TCMAA</td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl65" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" height="19">Matadors</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">TX</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">TCMAA FWPD</td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl65" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" height="19">Coasters</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Aledo</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">TX</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">TCMAA FWPD</td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl65" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" height="19">Evil Angels</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Aledo</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl65" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" height="19">Knight Krawlers</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Aledo</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl65" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" height="19">Road Hawks</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Aledo</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    You can see all the ~390 patterns we have for Texas clubs by clicking on this link (but remember, out of our 12,000 old patterns from the 1950/60's over 7,000 of them do not have a state on them) http://www.obrientruckers.com/plaques_search.php?name=&city=&state_code=tx&logo=&button=Search

Dennis

23. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

We saw that, FWPD historical was looking into some info. As well.
    1959buickwagon, thanks for the info also. We did dig around your site and see some plaques from our area there.
    I believe you just got an order from FtWorth for some news ones also. Looking forward to those!
    Thanks again

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Surprised to see you don't have the Dallas Chaparrals on your site. You did our plaque and it is one of the oldest car clubs in Texas and they helped bring the NHRA to Texas. They did not have a traditional plaque in the early days but a metal tag. The NHRA Museum has one of the metal tags.

Chaparrals: http://kingvoodoo.blogspot.com/2009/04/chaparrals.html

25. old guys garage

old guys garage

Re: TCMAA ~ (this may be old info?) they were sponsored by the Ft. Worth Police dept.
    Mike McDuff/Gophers Car Club was one of the first presidents & they ran events at the Nation Guard Air field at Lake Worth

26. CrazyVern

CrazyVern

Sorry to bump an old thread but this weekend at an antique mall in Fort Worth, I found two old trophies from one of the TCMAA races. A class winner in B/Gas and one in C/Gas. Thought these were really cool and a early piece of Fort Worth hot rodding and drag racing history.

Attached Files:

KKrod and Dan Hay like this.
  27. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

That’s cool, I haven’t seen any trophies yet. Nice score

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

KKrod likes this.
  28. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I was searching for Fort Worth car clubs and found this old thread. I received a request for info about a couple of plaques someone found in their grandfather's stuff. The plaques were for the Pythons and Satan's Angels, and both clubs were members of the TCMAA and sponsored by the FWPD. Can anyone provide info about either of these clubs? .....

TCMAA-FWPD.jpg

29. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

D2186534-E71F-4F45-A162-12BACA1EB766.jpeg 6AABDCEA-DDCF-4ED7-9B22-CC291441CDB2.jpeg I know this is an old thread, but I’ve recently started tearing apart my 39 ford conv, and today I pulled one of the quarter trim panels and found this and some other stuff crammed behind it. I picked this car up 7 yrs ago in the Ft Worth area. I was just curious if this was ever a real club there, or just someone’s doodling.

30. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Probably just a design idea, I don’t recognize that name right off and initial searches don’t show anything either.
    The TCMAA is a Ft. Worth link for sure. I have some more information and will dig it out and look more for you. At one point there was a lot of clubs here.
    I have been able to talk to a lot of people about that era who were members of different clubs and have collected some of the plaques I was most interested in.
    If you have any possible names of previous owners of the car and want to message me I can see if I can cross that to any information I have. Maybe they were involved with another club.
    Scott

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

ronzmtrwrx likes this.