Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 300 hop Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Jun 17, 2019.

1. tjm73

tjm73

The 300 only had one problem. It had/has a terrible cylinder head. It just can't move enough air to support the potential of the engine. There was a company that flirted with producing an aluminum performance head, but it never fully materialized. There was an engine with a cut up pair of BOSS heads once in history and was raced by someone on the 70's. There was also a GM LS head someone chopped up and put on a 300. And finally there was a company that developed a CNC program to port the stock head.

loudbang likes this.
  2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I ran one of these in my first 4x4 OT , 77 Highboy Ford . I changed out the cam and switched to a 240 head . It pulled that truck loaded with ease . No one could believe it was a 6 cyl . Lugging torque was near a diesel . The timing gears in mine were loud as hell , but it is what it is . I have a funny event that happened with a 300 / 6 . I was sitting after hunting a for a bit . I turned the ign key to ON , not start and it fired and ran perfect. I’m thinkin WTH , and switched it off in shock . I sat there asking myself did this just happen ? . From that day on I tried it everyday , warm engine and many times it would fire off and run no starter .

Truckdoctor Andy and loudbang like this.
  3. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Anything to do with an inline six, especially Ford, one needs to get on an Aussie build sight. They literally have forgotten more than all Americans (combined) know.

The Arizona Old Crow likes this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I remember reading about a 1920's or 30's Rolls Royce engine, maybe it was the Silver Cloud, that was machined so well it did the same thing. Turn the key on, and it would fire off without touching the starter. That's some good sealing in a cylinder....

loudbang and Cooon like this.
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought United Parcel Service “ the big brown truck “ were powered with Ford 300’s.. finally went to diesels.

Truckdoctor Andy and loudbang like this.
  6. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

i remembered them as 292 chevys

GuyW likes this.
  7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I know we are talking Ford 6's here, but those old GMC 6's were also something to behold when HP was required and they have also been used in Hot Rod projects over the years.

8. Has anyone modified the EFI manifold of the 4.9l as a base for the use of a carburetor ? A Google/YouTube search has shown one example where a carb. was bolted to the top of the upper manifold.(These things are two piece, upper "box" bolted to a series of inlet "sweeps" for the uninitiated. ) Crude I'll admit, but someone looking to use the existing flow capabilities of the original manifold. That attempt came with a comment on having to punch a hole in the engine hood for clearance,understandably enough. Those "sweeps" are tempting as a modification platform for inlets of a series of S.U's., Solexs, Weber's or two barrels of ones choice etc.
    I'm aware of the aftermarket manifold available and all that one has to do to swap over from EFI to carb. Just seems that this lot would try something HAMB-ish on that intake setup.
    Your thoughts ?
    Chet

loudbang likes this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yes, a guy on another board, he might be member here too, not sure, built a plenum and put three 2bbl carbs on the one in his rail dragster.

loudbang likes this.
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Has anyone modified the EFI manifold of the 4.9l as a base for the use of a carburetor ? A Google/YouTube search has shown one example where a carb. was bolted to the top of the upper manifold.(These things are two piece, upper "box" bolted to a series of inlet "sweeps" for the uninitiated. ) Crude I'll admit, but someone looking to use the existing flow capabilities of the original manifold. That attempt came with a comment on having to punch a hole in the engine hood for clearance,understandably enough. Those "sweeps" are tempting as a modification platform for inlets of a series of S.U's., Solexs, Weber's or two barrels of ones choice etc.
    I'm aware of the aftermarket manifold available and all that one has to do to swap over from EFI to carb. Just seems that this lot would try something HAMB-ish on that intake setup.
    Your thoughts ?
    Chet[/QUOTE]

peteint01.jpg peteint02.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  11. speedshifter

speedshifter

I was a UPS mechanic & maintained aprox 34 240 & 300 's. Previously had some 292 Chevs. Fords lasted longer. Aluminum cam gears were the longest lasting. When they wore out, usually at 200,000 to 250,000 #1 cyl had more taper wear. Rumor is UPS is going back to gas powered delivery trucks. Greg

loudbang likes this.
  12. Phil1934

Phil1934

That was Alan Johnson. They did make it, but it was a dry head for drag racing,

loudbang likes this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Saw this video this morning, thought you all might enjoy it.