Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Small Pleasures of a Home Hotrod Builder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anothercarguy, Dec 13, 2019.

1. I don't usually get into these inspirational/philisophical type threads, but today while continuing with my '38 Ford club cabriolet build a few things struck me with a feeling of satisfaction, happiness and gratification. I'm at the metal work on the body stage and today, I was working on rebuilding/repairing the drivers side of the cowl vent. After I made a wooden hammerform to construct replacement inner lip yesterday, today I welded in the piece (learning tig welding which is new to me)...Picture attached just for the HAMB, if there are no pictures it's not a thread crowd.

So, all that to say I started thinking about some of the small pleasures and rewards I get as a home hotrod builder:

Things like:
    • the cut of a fresh piece of sandpaper or sanding disc
    • walking into the shop after its been cleaned up following a messy thrash
    • completion of each of the many many small tasks that a full car build is divided into (so it doesn't become overwhelming)
    • after a day in the shop, when you spend the last 15-20 minutes looking and admiring what you've done and begin imagineering the next mini step/sub-project
    • a nice weld
    • learning new skills
    • the day after the fresh engine has broken in the cam and the stress of first start-up is over

These are just a few of mine...how about you?
    20191212_121514_resized.jpg 20191212_121531_resized.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I thought you were going to rewrite the lyrics from "My Favourite Things" from The Sound of Music...

3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The sound of your engine the first time it comes to life after you built it!
    The smell of primer or fresh paint! It means you are turning the corner on a major milestone in your build!
    The first time you back out of the garage... the first ride in it under its own power... being able to say I built the whole thing... I could go on and on!

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

• Being creative
    • Expression of myself
    • Imagination
    • Making things the old fashion way
    • Thinking outside-the-box
    • Just making everything I can rather than buying what everyone else does

Sandgroper, Baumi, Okie Pete and 10 others like this.
  5. Scratching a line through one more job on the ‘to do’ list.

6. Using what's available, especially when taking a flat piece of metal and creating a replacement, there is a certain gratification in shaping metal, even a simple piece can go a long way toward gaining confidence. HRP

7. the best pleasure is to be 1500 miles from home tooling down the road in a car you built yourself and knowing she will get ya home...................

8. Binkman

Binkman

all of the above and one more thing, being one of the guys who does it rather than "read about it in a magazine once". Put your mind to it and it will get done......
    Thanks for the HAMB
    Merry Christmas

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

like when I pound on a piece of scrap metal with a hammer after same hammer hit my finger - "punishing the damn hammer"

10. southcross2631

southcross2631

I use a dry erase board to keep track of my build. That way I don't forget something.
    It's drawing line through the notes knowing that I am one step closer to being done.

11. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

All those milestones in a build.
    Scent of fresh laid paint.
    Finishing an electical install ( which i now enjoy thanks to rebel wire)
    Opening the shop doors, backing the vehicles away, putting the 48 inch nozzle on the air hose and blowing out clouds of dust.
    scoring cool tools for cheap at a garage sale.
    people asking where you bought that neat part, but you built it from scratch.

Sandgroper and anothercarguy like this.
  12. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Your right when you say it's the little things. I was missing one of the little corner braces for my 27. After I made the other one I sat back and just looked at it while I had a beer.

Attached Files:

13. You all nailed the feeling extremely well. It's the job-well-done thing!

14. All previous posts I agree with.
    Personally, the greatest pleasure I get from the builds are the confidence that enables me to take on more complicated, extensive tasks, accomplishments, stepping out of my comfort zone experience, that only comes from hands on work getting it done by trial and error.
    I work alone, and do as much of the work as I can, exceptions are upholstery, chrome plating, and engine machine work.

15. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I run a dehumidifier 24/7 in my shop so it never smells musty but there is a pleasant smell which is rather distinctive probably a combination of a lot of things that is very nice when walking in the door.

anothercarguy likes this.
  16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

"anothercarguy", I couldn't have said it better.. I identify with exactly how you feel.. It's nice to know someone else has the same feelings about home built cars.. Let's go have a drink and talk about our 38 Fords....

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    osage orange and anothercarguy like this.
  17. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

All of the above. I love the shakedown run bringing it back to the shop making adjustments and changes and turning it into a great driver.. The more I drive my baby the more in love it Damn snows are pissing on my parade.

trollst and osage orange like this.
  18. Oh, oh, oh...just thought of another. How about finding that last hidden spot weld that finally lets that rusty panel fall to the ground

vtx1800 and osage orange like this.
  19. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Oh, and the swapping heads on your motor, then taking off on an 8 hour solo drive to a show and completing the return without a hitch at all.

20. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing like the 1st beer at the end of a hard day of thrashing right after the last power tool gets put away, all the dust has settled all tools are back in the drawers are all closed then the sound of the cap turning a psssst and fresh cold beer hits your lips.
    Then you look over at your buddy that has been there supporting your decisions all day and making sure your beer gets rotated .
    IMG_E0988.JPG

21. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

1--Building my single seater from scratch with just the thought of what it would end up looking like in my head and it is damn close to the what I imagined.
    2--The thing that amazes me was just about every part I used just fell into place like it was meant to be.

Okie Pete, Gotgas, UNSHINED 2 and 2 others like this.
  22. trollst

trollst

Just came in from the shop after garage tour visitors, oohing and awwing over how my 41 dodge truck is coming, its shaping up exactly like my mental picture. But the best is the first drive with plates on, slowly coaxing the old girl up to speed, listening for noises, worrying about loose stuff you know isn't loose, coaxing more speed out of it, without realising you're having a damned good orgasm, poking it hard with your heart in your mouth, then parking it in your driveway and staring at all the hard work that now seems easy as pie. Now that's what I like. (and yes, I got a lot of shit in my shop) DSC07468.JPG DSC07471.JPG DSC07458.JPG

23. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Turning what other folks consider to be junk into something.
    Ticking the final to do item off my list during a build.
    Decking the walls with old car stuff that turns just another workshop in to mine.
    Sitting around sharing a beer with like minded friends.
    Starting a project engine for the first time.
    Going out for my first drive in my project car.
    Bring a smile to the faces of others how like what they see, but are not hot rodders like us...

24. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Couple for me....

Even though it's harder to do with less junkyards -- harvesting parts that were just rotting away. I love saving parts that others will not use because they think they are unusable. Even if I have to use the old part as a pattern. But it still amazes me to what can be cleaned up or patched up to look new.
    As a garage builder, I don't have to worry about time, being on the clock, or budgets (Within reason of course). It gives so much more freedom to put that extra little detail into a part.

25. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

Satisfaction of having a complicated part completed and back together (or the whole car) after being scattered apart.

To the act of engine building/break in/1st drive, I'd add this: That first ride after the break-in period is over when you lay the pedal to the floor and see what she can really do!

26. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish I could add some comments but all of you prior posters really summed it up. The shop is my mental health institute, if I can be out there, be it by myself, with the wife (she does metal sculpture so we use some of the same tools/equipment) or when a like minded old car aficionado is helping or just visiting, then it seems like I am in heaven. Well most of the time, although when I have to do the same job two or three times..........well then it's more like hell:)

anothercarguy likes this.
  27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Hey Trollst,

Got one of those! Registered as a '42 FARGO. Currently down for the past few years, everything I paid others to do needs to be redone, my work is standing up...
    Have fun. Looking for a 25" aluminum head for mine. What size block do you have, 23" or 25"?

osage orange likes this.
  28. Finding a long-lost part that may fit the next project.
    Bonus points if you got it free.
    Finding out that it will fit with a little tweeking.
    Replying with "I built that myself" when a visitor asks about your car, trailer, or workshop equipment.
    My favourite- removing masking tape.
    Oh, yes, and the PSSST of a new cold can of beer.

wackdaddy and anothercarguy like this.
  29. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

There's satisfaction in completing each task, no matter how small. I'm working on a combination of several projects right now, including multiple engines, some house stuff and cleaning out my garage and shed, making space. I only ge to work on Saturdays generally, but I always have a list. Not from the wife, my own stuff that is the next step for me in each thing I'm trying to do. Scratching one item off is an accomplishment.

Devin