Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where America gets its crude oil from----

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brianangus, Jun 27, 2006.

1. DrJ

DrJ

I think it might be "exported" and "imported" just on paper, like futures speculation or sorta like buying shares of stock that are "borrowed" from someone who hasn't even bought them yet themselves just to manipulate prices.
    And yes that does happen and it's "legal". :rolleyes:

2. Misirlou

Misirlou

"He said there's 8 oilmen in Texas pulling the strings on the whole world wide oil price and production game.
    He wouldn't name them though. Said it wasn't a good idea..."

If that's true 8 people need to take a looong nap.

3. Leather up you sissies!!!! If you can do something about the price of oil and gas, shut up and do it.

Somebody kill this thread!!!! I've seen enough of these!!!!

4. Gosh, this really IS more complicated than the mainstream liberal press says it is!
    The war in Iraq ain't just about OIL!! (Anybody remember 9-11?)
    There is no shortage of oil, just a shortage of profit for the greedy-hence the shell game and double talk. "Keep 'em confused!"

5. DrJ

DrJ

The 1400 sq ft house on 1/10 acre across the street from me just sold for $655,000.00. and that doesn't even include mineral/oil rights.
    What do you think about that, Mike?

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Supply & demand. When your own oil costs more to transport & refine than to import refined oil for AND you can still sell it to make some profit or cover most of your imports, you sell. That's why most Alaskan oil goes to Russia, Japan, & other Far East countries - it costs more to transport it down here & refine it than it does to sell it.

Until a couple years ago, gold mining companies were buying futures in gold instead of pulling it out of the ground because it wasn't cost effective - same thing.

Canada's oil doesn't all come from underground reservoirs - much of it is locked in tar sands. Currently, it's too expensive to leech the oil out, but as the price of crude continues to be manipulated & climb, eventually, there will be a break-even point where extracting the oil from the tar/shale sands will become more economically viable than it currently is.

Oil should be treated like any other commodity & bought/sold on an open market - not a market manipulated by politics or controlled by a monopolistic cartel (OPEC).

7. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Let's all stop driving our gas guzzling rods 'n customs and convert to hybrid hondas... better yet bicycles.

Back to the car talk please.

8. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

It seems that us commoners are smarter than we are given credit for. Some want to kill this thread but, I think it has been very insightful and it's good to here from our fellow hot rodders from around the world. As long as we don't point the finger at any politican or run down a political party, we're OK. Let's face it, good conversation and ideas never hurt anybody. And we do have a vested interest in this subject because it effects our hobby directly. Now, what about them hot rods, HUMMMM;)

9. scottrod

scottrod

And why the hell is barrel abbreviated as "bbl" anyway?!? Shouldn't that be the abbreviation for Bubble??? Its a government conspiracy I tells ya!!!

10. I think someone probably paid too much, but I'm not familair with the real estate market there. I also think maybe you should sell and then you could buy several hundred acres in Arkansas or Missouri or Kansas.

All this begs the question; What does the sale price of that house have what to do with the price of crude oil, a commodity?

11. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

Here's my 2 cents,
    What would you do if you were the producer of a commodity that the demand for didn't decrease when the price increased? Throw in the upstanding members of the secret businessmens society, a loudmouth claiming to be on the verge of having nukes (every speech he makes brings in billions of extra revenue), and the need for greed of the speculative market, you get the picture. If I was magic, I would convince everyone to not buy gas for a week, just for grins. It'll never happen though. That's why I'm setting up the caddy for 2X4's, since gas is so cheap. Think of what it would cost if you had to pay for all the energy to turn those dinosaur bones and plants from carbon to crude in 2 million years. I say its cheap by any standard and burn it up.

12. Hi Everyone,

The price of petrol differes between countries becuase of the local domestic taxes they place on it. The USA has the lowest taxes on crude in the Western world and the Netherlands has the highest. Petrol here would be around 60% less per litre without the additional taxes and surchages placed on it.

I think this thread is perfectly hot rod related. At some point for the average world hot rodder (not just the USA) , the price of petrol will turn it from a daily driver to a sunday picnic car. My flathead with the current gearing chews through the juice. When it costs me $30 a day to run it I'll have to stop and it will go from becomming a "ride" to a "special treat" for the days I can afford to fill it up.

One other thing, the difference between now and the 70's is like light and day. The shortages of the 70's were a direct result of OPEC reducing the amount of oil available to other countries. Basically they strangled the rest of the world. The oil was there, but they wern't letting anyone have any.

Today for the first time in history, demand has outstripped the capacity to supply. OPEC can simply not keep up with the demand for oil. India and China are becomming some of the worlds biggest consumers of energy and as their demand increases so will the price of crude. In conjunction knows reserves of crude continue to deplete and the rate of new discoveries is far outstripped by the increase in demand.

So whats all of this mean? Are we running out of oil? I dont know but in the last 12 months ive seen the price of petrol double and I cannot see it getting any cheaper. Sooner of later I might have to invest in a solar still and try and run my car on ethanol!

Danny

13. Dads56

Dads56

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I think we ought to take Canada and call it Ameranada.

15. Bugman

Bugman

Everyone please read up on the Abiotic theory of oil production.

16. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Great thread,I read the whole thing.And there wasn't any pictures!

17. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Reminds me...didn't playboy do a Girls of Exxon edition????

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

[​IMG]:D [​IMG]:D:D

[​IMG]:cool:

19. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I've got nothing to say, but just wanted to get a post into another locked thread :D

20. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Ahhh .... those were the good "ole days!"
    Trouble was; I was only making 75 cents an hour!!

21. Mutt

Mutt

Yes, I believe that all of you complainers would NOT try to get as much as you could for oil from your well. Really, I do. Why would you want to get $75 per barrel when you could get $30 per barrel?

Makes sense to me....you all just want to be loved by the public because you could keep prices down. And the public takes the time to shower you with appreciation when the prices are low, don't they?

And that's why these threads are so meaningful to me.

Mutt

22. There's only 6 in texas now. Two of them moved to D.C.

23. Here's a recipe for Rhubarb Pie:

1 qt. (4 cups) sliced rhubarb

1-1/4 cups sugar

2 Tbsp. MINUTE Tapioca

1 tsp. grated orange peel

1 pkg. (15 oz.) refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)

1 Tbsp. butter or margarine, cut up

PREHEAT oven to 425°F. Mix rhubarb, sugar, tapioca and orange peel in large bowl. Let stand 15 minutes.

PLACE 1 of the pie crusts in 9-inch pie plate. Fill with fruit mixture; dot with butter. Cover with remaining crust; seal and flute edge. Cut several slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.

BAKE 45 to 50 minutes or until juices form bubbles that burst slowly. Cool.

24. Harms Way

Harms Way

[​IMG]

You said it brother !,.......... a GOOD used car would have cost you under $500.00, a phone call or a Coke would have set you back .05 cents. a new set of tires around $50.-$60.,......... A new car would have cost you between $1,600 to $2,500 for a nice car !,A new house would run you about $14,000,... a new car today will cost you well over $20,000.00 ,.......... hey wait a munite !, where is the outrage on these over inflated prices!
    I don't know if you caught it but these prices were during a "Gas War" they were really low even for the day.

25. Now there's some information I can really use!!!:) Yes, really, I love rhubarb pie!!

26. That was perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

What's a rhubarb?

28. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

PREHEAT... do you know what my home heating bill looks like every month. I'm starting a thread about the rising cost of PREHEATING and pie baking.

29. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy