Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hand built brass cars... works of art!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FleaBiscuit, Dec 13, 2019.

1. FleaBiscuit

FleaBiscuit

Hey all! The last time I posted on here I was working with my Fathers collection and finding homes for some special pieces... well, I’m back at it again :)

This time, I have a VERY valuable collection of super-rare artwork built by a gentleman named Chuck Meschter. He has quietly been building these spectacular cars from scratch over the years. Each one take months for him to build, and are worth a decent amount of $$. Each car is coach-built to what the buyer wanted, and my Father had a particular theme... mostly they were cars that were featured in Magazines or ones that he had seen in person or liked.

I am attempting to find a good home for them... as I said, they are really pieces of art... they were Thousand$$ to build each, and I feel the right buyer may be difficult to locate, but that is why I am turning to you, the H.A.M.B. :)

One idea I had was to try to track down the owner of each REAL car, and see if they would like to purchase a model of it... that may be a daunting task though.

I’ll attach a picture of one example, which is the 1932 Ford built by Tony LaMasa... The “Ricky Nelson Roadster”... was featured in Rod and Custom, Nov 1957

Any ideas or leads anyone here can provide
    would be excellent.... here is a link to an article done on Chuck... many of the cars pictured in the article are actually part of this collection.

http://www.benchrace.com/html/6.9.html

Thanks!
    828-808-1558

D979B694-5C85-49B1-AAE0-AE61B7FAE690.jpeg 7C5F24A0-3CDD-41C2-9521-64311CEF93F1.jpeg 440B0F87-4C1B-407C-B80B-F31CC995E232.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Dayuum those are pretty cool and the blue roadster rings a bell...

Uncle Ronn and loudbang like this.
  3. FleaBiscuit

FleaBiscuit

Yes they are some of the coolest cars I’ve ever seen... I updated the thread above, but that car was featured in Rod and Custom, Nov 1957

loudbang, cactus1 and Stogy like this.
  4. 62rebel

62rebel

Museum interest? I'd like to see the collection kept together (if it were mine, that is) and maybe donated to a museum with the caveat that they be returned to my family or estate and not sold off...

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@FleaBiscuit...why not take a pic of each and archive them within this thread?

I mean they are all period correct and Hotrods/Customs to boot...so cool...

It would help to have the names of the Hotrods to Identify leads...

I would suspect each and every one of those brings up hits within the Hamb, Kustomrama and or The Custom Car Chronicle​

Uncle Ronn, loudbang and Spooky like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heres some info on the Artist/Modeler

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...r-too-tall-ganahl.983332/page-7#post-11116058

Uncle Ronn and loudbang like this.
  8. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Wow, those are nice. Hate to see a collection like that separated, but it’s going to take some deep pockets to keep them together.

I like the museum suggestion. Peterson, maybe? Or Chicago’s museum of science and industry?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Stogy and Spooky like this.
  9. Those are amazing!

Uncle Ronn, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. FleaBiscuit

FleaBiscuit

Thanks for the replies everyone! I’d hate for this to get separated as well, but I think that’s going to be the only way of my Father getting what he wants out of them. I’d LOVE for them to stay together and be seen in a Museum setting, but he isn’t interested in donating them... so they would have to be purchased, which I don’t think is going to happen.

Next time I’m at his place I’ll get some better images/info of all of the cars and see if we can match them all up :)

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Big Thumbs up there...Was your father a Hotrodder? I did visit that site and ported this over as many here do not wander...

Chuck Meschter1.jpg

Chuck Meschter2.jpg

Chuck Meschter3.jpg

@FleaBiscuit maybe @Ryan might want to do a Thread showcasing this interesting story...I hope your Father is still with us and in good Health...

Say Hello and Thanks to Him from Us Hoodlums...:D

Do you have pics of your Fathers Hotrod Days? That is Golden around here...;)

Thanks again...for sharing this...

kiwijeff, Uncle Ronn, 35cab and 5 others like this.
  13. Spooky

Spooky

So damned cool! Man, if my Dad had these and I inherited them, they'd be with me til I passed.

Uncle Ronn, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dad is telling him to sell...Darned Artists...:D

Uncle Ronn, loudbang and Spooky like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2019-12-13_23-6-1.png

:rolleyes:...The Work of Artist / Modeler Chuck Meschster

Thanks to Hamber @FleaBiscuit and His Dad for Sharing This...;)

Niekamp1.jpg

:rolleyes:...Bill Niekamp Roadster...Hotrod Royalty

more in Great Thread at link below...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=19972

LewThompson32coupe.jpg

:rolleyes:...Lew Thompson Coupe...Hotrod Royalty

more at link below...

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/app...om-1932-ford-5-window-coupe-vanished-decades/

DickFlintroadster_01_1500.jpg

:rolleyes:...Dick Flint Roadster...Hotrod Royalty

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/...nning-dick-flint-roadster-to-cross-the-block/

That's Stogy's best guess but the info is on the bottom of the real deal I'm assuming...Brilliant Craftsman...

Credit to Photographer's, Owner's

16. Uncle Ronn

Uncle Ronn
    from Modesto CA

I met Chuck at a Barnes and Noble when I was holding Dean Batchelors' THE AMERICAN HOT ROD.
    He handed me his card as he explained his craft and his interest in this particular book to me.
    Though I couldn't really wrap my head around what he was doing(until I saw an exerpt in ROD AND CUSTOM about him) I handed him the book.
    Very nice man, Very special memory, Ronn

17. catdad49

catdad49

Maybe Bruce Meyer?! What a Craftsman, these works of art should be shared. Thanks for sharing with us.

18. Uncle Ronn, catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  19. 35cab

35cab

These are absolutely stunning, as mentioned it would be wonderful if they could be kept together, it is your father's call.
    They must be valuable individually but as a collection of hot rod history they must be so much more valuable.
    I hope your father gets what he wants from them, thanks for sharing this.

Uncle Ronn and Stogy like this.
  20. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

May have been posted elsewhere. craftsman 1.JPG craftsman 2.jpg

21. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

These are really the COOLEST!!! What skills and craftsmanship!

Uncle Ronn and Stogy like this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the collection can't stay together it would be nice to see some of them with the cars that they are modeled after.

23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Do you need the cash, or tired of displaying them? I’m trying to understand the need to sell them. Actually really none of my business, but I’ve never understood putting monetary value on collections or hobbies. Somethings just have no value to me I guess. I just like looking at them.

SquintBoy likes this.
  24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Amazing work. I'm embarrassed to say I wasn't aware of his work. I'd sure like to own one but I suspect it would be out of range for me. Are there any other places his work has been published? A magazine reference would be cool to me, perhaps I can find some back issues. Thanx, Gary

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are many Incredible High detail Modelers and but what makes this Thread so much more interesting is that the subjects are truly Hamb Era Hotrods that is by all accounts Pretty Darn Rare

Chucks Works also have a Tether car appeal and even a bit of Folk Art appeal as they are Slightly Animated...

That Ardun is incredible...

I agree these are worthy of a Museum such as you have shared...but a Hotrod leaning Museum would be even more fitting.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    31Dodger likes this.
  26. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

See if Peterson Museum would be interested

31Dodger likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Meschter_09.jpg

:rolleyes:...The Work of Artist / Modeler Chuck Meschster

Thanks to Hamber @FleaBiscuit and His Dad for Sharing This...;)

4d52c981975065832e4e456b8da3a718.jpg

hot-rod-magazine-issue-1-1.jpg

:rolleyes:...I believe this to be in the mix...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

kiwijeff likes this.
  28. FleaBiscuit

FleaBiscuit

I have a few interested buyers, so I am making plans to go by my Fathers house tomorrow with my photo booth and turn-table, and will be taking pictures and 360 videos of all of these cars.

If you (or anyone else) know how to contact him, and if he'd be interested, i would be happy to talk to him. 828-808-1558 I'm sure these would be rather interesting to him.

This is one of the things i'd love to do, but we'd be looking for the owners of the cars to purchase them in that case, which may not be on the table from their perspective... i know that if i owned any of the real cars these are modelled after, i'd do whatever it took to own the model also, especially with these being the pieces of artwork that they are.

Its my understanding that Mr. Meschter preferred to sorta 'fly under the radar' a bit with his work, and never really publicized it much. I'm actually quite surprised to even see that article about his work in that e-zine i linked in the original post.

As far as i know, Peterson is not interested in purchasing.... only accepting donations. But maybe one of their contributors would be interested in purchasing them, and then making them available to Peterson?

Yes you are correct.... and thank you for taking the time to dig up a lot of these photos and pics of the real cars you have found... Before my Father had decided to sell them, i always thought it would be fun to do that, and get a copy of each magazine and display with each car somehow...

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks very much @FleaBiscuit...The Hamb is the perfect place to share these valuable contributions to the celebration of some of the revered mix in Hotrod in perpetuity...

Furthur thanks extended to You and your Father for granting this opportunity to appreciate what he has enjoyed for so many years...

Just Golden

I will assist and I'm sure others will chime in to help as things evolve...to match them up as best we can and with the knowledge base here I'm sure we'll both learn something we weren't aware of...

It seems Bruce Meyers 3 Dog Garage does not have a contact email...perhaps there is another site...

https://www.3dog.org/

hrp 22.jpg

:rolleyes:...I think this might be the Dark Green 32 prior to the Grille less race version. Anybody confirm? The drip rail ends at the door on the DG version but this again could have been a part of a second wave of mods...

Credit to Photographer, Owner