Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '60 F100 Daily Driver Project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ccain, Oct 12, 2019.

1. I'm glad I'm not the only one putting my military disability pay into old cars:)

2. Yeah, well... In thinking about it, I may have a problem. Ya see, that old boy loved his Chevys and Oldsmobiles. He'd turn in his grave if he thought for one minute I had put his name on a Ford. Even just his initials. :D Used to ride me all the time about my old Fairlane (my first car). Called it a "taxicab" and a "metermaids police car". But, he never missed a chance to teach me something new when that old thing broke down. And let me tell you, while I had that car, I learned a LOT. :D

But, I kinda can't go without doing some sort of tribute to him on the truck somewhere, even if it ain't on the doors. Because, every time I turn a wrench on this pickup, I swear I can hear him being a smartass about my choice of manufacturer. :D

Meh... It was either that or hookers and blow. 'Pretty sure I chose the more expensive route. :D

Mike, thanks for your service!

Chavezk21, OahuEli, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  3. Terraizer

Terraizer

Love those 1957-60 Ford trucks one day i will end up with one i hope. That is one clean truck.

OahuEli, ccain and loudbang like this.
  4. 'Got an early Christmas present in the mail today. Thanks, Ryan!!! That was quick.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  5. A little "humid" in SoCal today. Not gonna get much done aside from drinking some beer.

[​IMG]

So, the weather affords me time to kinda formulate a plan for lowering this thing a bit.

Luckily, If I could just spring drop it, I have plenty of room between the beam and the engine thanks to what appears to be a late model, Mustang double hump oil pan. So there's that.

[​IMG]

Having said that, aside from installing mono-leafs (which I won't do), I don't think I have much to work with here because someone has already robbed some leafs from the spring packs. And I just know if I try to half ass this thing, all I'm gonna end up with is a shitty(er) ride and bump-steer.

In the back, the PO flipped the rear's REAR spring hangers. And, just like the front, there are leafs missing from the packs.

[​IMG]

I'm probably wrong (please correct me) but I was always under the impression that it was the front hangers that you swapped and flipped.

I only want like 2 more inches (that's what she said) and it looks like, to do it right, I'm gonna be into just the front end for more than $600 once I buy the lowered beam, king pins, tie rods, drag link, spring bolts and u-bolts... etc. And, shit... mono leafs are expensive too.

So, it appears that I have somewhat of a mess. There goes lowering this thing on the cheap. I wonder what impact, if any, having the eyes reversed all the way around would be? D'you think I should talk to Sid about this mess?

Please, if you guys have any ideas, tips, tricks or whatever, post 'em up. That'd be :cool:.

6. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

You could reverse the eyes on the front and rear and get a little more drop. But I think calling Sid before doing anything would be a good start. He is very familiar with these trucks and different methods of lowering and pros and cons of each.

OahuEli, catdad49, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  7. @Chris should be able to lend some advice on lowering. He's owned a dealership worth of these trucks.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Thanks guys. When I'm ready to do it, I'll talk to both Sid and Chris. :cool:

I have to get my priorities in order, however. First is the front pump seal and exhaust. After that, I'll get serious about the ride height.

So, today, the wife drug me out to get a tree. Even though she kinda scolded me when it happened, it didn't stop her from wearing a shit eating grin when I lit 'em up a little leaving a traffic light. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  9. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man!, that is a nice looking little truck! ccain, that is a great picture. Oh, and by the way, Merry Christmas!

ccain likes this.
  10. Thank you! Merry Christmas!

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  11. catdad49

catdad49

You sure you're not Santa?! Love that photo, it would make a great Christmas card.

loudbang and ccain like this.
  12. Nah, I'm not Santa but my wife is one hell of a baker. So, if I keep shoveling all these Christmas cookies and homemade fudge down my gullet, I'll fit in his little fat suit, no problem. :p

13. Guess who's gas gauge is WAY off? :eek:

[​IMG]

And guess who's wife was chuckling and being a smart ass at the gas station while takin' pictures of grumpy old men?

[​IMG]

I'd like to thank AAA and those, HR mandated, anger management classes for today's positive outcome. :D

Just Gary, 41 GMC K-18, raven and 7 others like this.
  14. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Personally love the slight gasser-look these 57-60 Fords have. In Reagan's first term, my dad ended up with a longbed F100. Pre-smog 390 in it, C6 and Mustang buckets. Some potheads dream machine, with plywood console and 2x10 front bumper. But... it had 15x10 slots in the back and 14x7 up front. Raised white letters and air shocks in the back. Always had good memories, haulin' ass up I-5 into southern Oregon with my dad, him bitching about the fuel mileage but constantly romping on the kick-down linkage. Because headers-no-pipes!

15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

As long as it ended well.
    A lot of us who play with old cars know exactly how you felt.
    Best wishes and Merry Christmas.

16. Waiting for transmission parts to ship so, I took care of another little project. I'm trying to get this truck as complete as possible before I start bodywork. She was just missing a couple of things like the left fender extension.

I mean, you can't see it because it's under the hood when it's closed, but I knew it was missing and it bugged the shit outta me. I found one on fleebay, got it, cleaned it up and stuck it on there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said, I'm gonna start tearing into the body soon, so I just spray bombed this thing to keep the rust at bay and to make it look halfway decent (even though, you cant see the damned thing from the street :confused: ).

Since I'm not quite sure what paint code the PO used for the paint on this thing, so I found a can of Rustoleum that matches pretty deent. Too bad Rustoleum flattens out as it dries, but it blends in well with the finish on the truck in this particular spot, so I'm happy with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These last pictures are before I tightened everything up and got those gaps under control.

Overall, pretty tickled about this stupid little thing.

That's all I got today, but here's a cheap attempt at an artsy-fartsy pic of the old girl. She cleans up nice. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  17. RmK57

RmK57

Looks like a full-size Hallmark Christmas decoration. Great looking pickup!

18. glrbird

glrbird

If your a fabricator, the front axle can be flipped by welding spring pitches to the bottom of the axle. Tim McMaster Did it on his Land Speed truck.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Thanks!

You know, I've been looking at that. I know that also requires doing something with the drag link and tie rods and all. Still doin' research right now. If you or anyone can give me a heads up on the specifics, I'll (as my grandfather used to say) "dance at your weddin' ". I suppose that's Irish for "greatly appreciated". My grandad was weird. :D

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  20. loudbang

loudbang

artsy-fartsy oldtime look :rolleyes:

1.jpg

21. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Glad to see you keeping the slots. I think they are perfect. I've slammed just about everything I've ever owned but something about the stance on yours I really dig. I have been really into Gassers lately, maybe it's that. I wouldn't change it. Having as many lowered cars and trucks as I've had there is something very liberating about not worrying about every pot hole you see. As far as white letters I do like them on that style wheel but if it ain't broke don't fix it. Good luck with it. It is killer. Way better than a Harley. What ever you do just remember have fun doing it.

22. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

That air cleaner and valve covers are 100% better. I also love what you did with the bumper. Still hoping you don't lower it. Seeing the pictures you posted just made me like the stance even more. Also I like the chrome reverse with wide whites but not as much as your slots. If you get those you will have to lower it. Kind of seen that look enough at this point. It's your truck though so make it yours. It's all about showing off your personality. Can't wait to see what you do next. Welcome to the HAMB.

23. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Not enough (alpha male) grumpy old men left. Let the anger out, it's ok.:mad:;)

Chavezk21, Thor1, ccain and 1 other person like this.
  24. Thanks!

"Bastard-Years" Effie Gassers are bitchin'. :cool:

[​IMG]

As for the stance... I hate to admit it, it's kinda grown on me a bit for right now. Plus, there is something to be said about not having to worry about clearance issues, especially when I haul home a few hundred pounds of this or that. You know?

Gratuitous pic:
    [​IMG]

But, again. Nothing is set in stone. I'm kinda feeling the old girl out as I go. She'll tell me what she likes and don't like. I'm damn near done going around the truck and buttoning everything up that was on the immediate concern list.

Still high up on that list... she's well overdue for a set of king pins. I'm both dreading and kinda looking forward to this here in the next few weeks. Dreading because it's undiscovered country for me. Of all the crap I've had my hands on over the years, I hate to admit, I've never done a set of king pins. So... Hell, maybe I'll have the wife read the instructions for me, since she thinks she's so damned smart. :D

Man, my wife learned a LONG TIME AGO, that I ALWAYS have the last word at the house!

It's usually "yes dear"... but it's the last word, nonetheless. :D

25. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’m 1/2 asleep , and may have missed the info . I can not determine for sure , but I thing must Mustang tanks are mounted to the upper frame rail and it looks as if yours is mounted to the lower rail . Again I may have missed reading about this , if I did I’m sorry .

26. No, no. You are right. I have a 20'x20' (more like 16'x18' counting the cabinets) shop and this fat girl takes up about 42 of those 20 feet. :D Not to mention all the other crap I have takin' up the other 20. The limited shop space, and the immediate need to replace the old fuel cell forced its placement below the frame.

When I have the bed off to do the cab corners and what not, I'll put it on top of the rails. When that day comes, however, I'll have to move part of my operation outside (neighbors are gonna love that) or beg my way into a bigger shop temporarily.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    catdad49, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  27. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

That Gasser is bitchin. Your truck is as well. Good luck with it and the Wife.:cool:

ccain, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  28. Nah... you know. I talk a lot of shit, but the wife and I just celebrated 10 years and it's honestly been the best 10 years of my life.

(she's probably reading this so I have to play nice.)
    :D:D:D

fauj, loudbang and osage orange like this.
  29. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

It's ok. I was only kidding too. The fact she was in the truck with you when you ran out of gas says a lot. Been with mine 17 years. I couldn't be happier either. Although it took 15 of those 17 for her to show interest in my cars. Once I got my Hot Rod she was all in. I guess they really do get the chicks.:cool:

41 GMC K-18, fauj, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  30. I was all set to post up a pic of Batman, but, I mean, come on. It's The Hoff. :D

[​IMG]

loudbang and Stephen Barrett like this.