Register now to get rid of these ads!

Open a kid's eyes... to Real Hot Rods.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 26, 2006.

1. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Great job you did. I have many that want pictures "driving" my car at the cruises and shows. Their Mom's always worried they might "scratch" it. I tell them not to worry about it.

Don't forget the old folks too. Took my mom when she was 76 out to supper in the Merc one night. Her neck's about even with the garnish molding on the passenger's window. Funny to see this grey mop sticking up. Stopped at a light and this fox pulls up on her side. Girl looks at mom and says nice car. Mom says it's my sons car and he's too old for it.:eek:

We have a local car show every year put on by the Ramblin Relics and we always have a cruise that stops at one of the local nursing homes for the old folks to gander at what used to be. Most are in wheelchairs but they love to look at the cars.

2. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

my boy is 15 and he took a great interest in my 36 ford coupe..
    he says he would rather be in the garage working and helping me than wasting away on the computer or PS2..may its because he is gonna be able to drive very soon..anyway you put it i love the help(and being with him) I will continue to involve him in any way i can!

3. Look at the expressions on these three kids face, not the foxtail, this is the essence of traditional. Having fun with old cars and loving our families. I bet all of those kids had to touch that fox tail to see what it felt like.

4. xadamx

xadamx

Paul, I love that picture...everyone looks like they are having a blast.

5. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

My nieces are 3 and 5. They love to ride in my rods. I had the family over for dinner and the three year old sat in my project '67 Mustang fastback for over an hour pretending to drive. She's a future hot rodder in the making! Here she is in my '49.

future hot rodder.JPG

Chris

6. HotRod1940 said it right. The kid be's ruined for life , great job indeed

7. Very cool Jay!

8. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

One day my youngest kid was stuck with me,
    and we had to run errands,
    Since the wife had the van,
    I had to use the RPU for our transpo.

(he's only 4 1/2)
    He'd been in it before but he thought it was too loud,
    So I made him a deal,
    We'd go get donuts on the way back.

Well we weren't even up the hill
    when i saw him smilin.

At the stoplight he said,
    "dad, I think I like hot rods!"

Now whenever we run around,
    the two of them fight over who gets to go with me!

Travis aka zibo

9. My two boys are 15 and 16.My younger son,who is now a HAMBer(stumpy)wanted a '59 Cad.Then I bought the '49 shoebox and took him for a ride.He couldn't believe the attention a chopped,flamed,car gets.We cruised down the coast from Long Beach to Newport.He was hooked.My older son was always into tuner cars,til he went with me and my buddy to the Primer Nationals.Now all I here about is I want a chopped car too.Right now I working on a trade with flynstone for his chopped shoebox.Then we will all have chopped cars.It's like a dream come true.

Attached Files:

10. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Hahahaha well there goes my plan on wearing something REALLY strappy so I can tie all the wood down as we cruise the freeway.:D

That was a killer ride, no matter how old, I think every person deserves one.........so I call SHOTGUN on the sedan.:p

11. 53chevy

53chevy

Cool deal JiveBomber! Don't you mean library? Great story too on getting the roadster.

Ken

12. octane

octane
    from Virginia

Cool stuff! My 11 year old stepson could care less about my cars...maybe that'll change in a few years. I remember my first hot rod ride like it was yesterday. My little brother's best friend's dad (did you catch all that, lol!) had an Austin Healy, which was pretty cool in it's own right, but he knew I was interested in rods so he hooked me up with a ride in his buddy's canary yellow T-bucket. I had permagrin for a week!

13. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I guess library sounded too "snooty"...
    I've got 50's and 60's car books and vintage magazines galore all in the extra bedroom/ TV room-- Heck I don't know what to call it now! =-)

14. 53chevy

53chevy

Hey it's the perfect room for a kid to hang out, right? But that ride in your roadster, I can only imagine, will leave an everlasting memory. Thanks for the lowering info on your 39 too. I need to see that car soon! Later

Ken

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I hate those signs in the windows at car shows saying "LOOK but don't touch this car.". Is your car really that fragile?
    I let the kids touch my cars and offer them to sit in 'em and they get a real kick out of it.
    And any time a neice, nephew or my step-daughter wants to go for a spin, it's a great excuse to get out of the house and burn some rubber!:D

16. Here's a picture of a kid at the Queen Mary Tattoo show. His mom,that's her in the black bra behind the car,asked me if he could sit in the car. He looked like a little greaser. I said "sure,and i'll e-mail you the pic's". I never considered the car a show car,just a nice driver,key word here is DRIVER!

Attached Files:

17. Bern_29

Bern_29

My first ride in a hot rod was the day i bought my '29 model a roadster, the owner asks "you ever been in a hot rod?" "Nup" "lets go" and that was it, i still think i wear that stupid grin :)

The first time i took my parents my a cruise as they had never been in a rod (they are in there 60's) - man i think i got em hooked :)

There there is the neighbourhoood kids, that was my biggest thrill, the smile on those kids faces is priceless, i think half the neighbourhood has been for a crusie or a "blast" around the block.

Hell it gives me a thrill to give them a thrill and you never know where the next hotrodder will come from.

Attached Files:

18. 46MoparMan

46MoparMan

Thats rad man! What an awesome way to make a kids day. I know from experience, when I was 12 a father of a friend of mine became my backyard rodding mentor. He shared all his knowledge on rodding as well as being a Vietnam fighter pilot. If it wasn't for his mentorship I would have never worked my butt off to buy my 46 at 15 yrs old and I wouldn't be driving it today.

19. Flatman

Flatman

I started my daughter in the garage at three or four, handing daddy tools...
    28-05-05_1610.jpg

28-05-05_1611.jpg

0021.JPG

Flatman