Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 65,000.00 What would you buy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0NE BAD 51 MERC, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'd buy 20ea 51 Plymouths', put small blocks in them and sell them for 10k make some dough.

2. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I'm 62 years old with 41 years of service at my job. $65,000 would let me retire tomorrow and never touch my investments. Wife is already retired, but she stays really busy at the church and with community work. It would suck to use the $65,000 to pay health insurance, but whatever. You have to stay busy and have a plan. Can't just sit and watch T.V. Lets see.....welding, painting, bike and car projects, working out some every day, hanging out with friends and family. A couple road trips every month... We could make it work. There is plenty to do right here in the U.S.A., would not even need to leave the country. On the other hand retiring early with a brand spanking new (free) vehicle would let us tour the country in style. Gary

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  3. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just going to suggest the same thing, Hnstray !

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Flour and water would be a surer bet.....:D

Ray

5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I surely hope you can make that Rte 66 cruise in a 241 Hemi-powered Coronet. We have made the trek from Kingman, AZ to Seligman, stopping at Hackberry for a few minutes which turned into an hour or more when everyone wanted his/her picture taken in, on, or standing next to the roadster. The gas station is a somewhat convenience store with signage and elements for some good camera work. Going east toward Seligman is a restaurant/hotel on an Indian reservation called Peach Springs. That 67 mile stretch is well-maintained highway that somehow has survived to the present.

6. Or at least the original oil painting of this from Mr. Williams :).

Hmmm, I never bought any vehicle new before..........oh wait, I bought a motorcycle once, not smart on my part. Everything has been used, I buy it, I fix it and I break it :).

7. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

I'd by my '33 Tudor back that I sold about 10 years ago. Damn, I still miss her......

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  8. I know the OP is not looking to buy a new truck, he was just amazed at the price. Well me too but the thing is about new cars is, why do we need all the bells and whistles? leather seats? cold in the winter, hot in the summer yes you can get heated seats, cooled seats but at what cost? in dash GPS, don't you have GPS in your phone? more and more options, more than what you have in your house. This is what makes the price go through the roof. And with all the stuff that comes on a base model, why would someone need any more. I have bought many new cars and trucks ALL have been base models and they worked fine for me, all power windows, power locks, a/c and automatics. And less stuff that won't work after the warranty runs out, I enjoy working on my old cars but foe some reason HATE working on the newer stuff.
    Sorry, rant over.

9. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

CNC mill for the shop!

Cooon likes this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Since we already had a red 1965 El Camino, our choice for the next hot rod/cruiser would be to get a 2 door 1965 Chevelle 2 door station wagon, like the one in the photo below.
    upload_2020-1-21_2-57-6.png
    The look would be as pictured with a set of American Mags. It has everything good that we liked about the El Camino. Plus, the added benefit of being able to lock things up in the back storage area. There were many times that we had to unfasten a strap holding our suitcases on those long road trips all over the Southwest and Baja California. (even if we were stopping at a roadside diner.) At the time, there was no provision to leaving anything in the back without the fear of having it get taken by a robber or two.

The only thing that was not able to be locked inside of the cab was the 10 foot long surfboard and or the desert racing motorcycle. Those had their own locks attached, but being out of sight was nerve wracking. These days, if transportation for a surfboard was necessary, it would fit inside, protective bag and all. No need for a rack or open tailgate window. One thing the 2 door station wagon would need is A/C. That is a necessity in any of our daily driver cars for So Cal cruising or long distance road trips.

There would be enough money left over to buy the following two items, a Johnny Lightning 1965 Chevelle 2 door wagon model and a can of Candy Apple Red color spray.
    upload_2020-1-21_3-4-35.png
    Jnaki

After that big expenditure, now, the hunt would continue for a nice Model A two door sedan… or that nicely built, yellow 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery in the HAMB ads. @MOLOSSER For one built as good as it is, my wife and I could overlook the right rear blind side problem. That was the one of the reasons we had to sell our 2nd Ford Sedan Delivery we owned when we were 20 somethings. Plus, the price is outstanding for the quality of the build.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. A '57 Vette project.
    [​IMG]
    ^Something like this would do.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  12. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

My debt......lol.

13. Finally , a winner. So how did you get a picture of my garage ? lol....Dam...I know that 1/2 " wrench is here somewhere.

14. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

One of these days, I'm gonna buy that print!

chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tesla. No not the stupid car o_O, the stock! It was $227 on Sept 2, 2019, it is $543.94 as I write this and analysts are saying a high of maybe $800 per share. If you had dropped that $65,000 on TSLA in September, you would have $155,753 today and perhaps $229,072 if the analysts are correct. Or buy another car, its all good.

chryslerfan55 and olscrounger like this.
  16. RmK57

RmK57

One of these, with all the good stuff on it. That would about take care of 65,000.

Snake's Cammer..jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  17. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

The nicest Hemi (OT) B body Mopar I could find!

18. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

A set of Snap on sockets,.......

RICH B, Hnstray and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  19. Wow with 65k can you imagine the Flathead I could have...................:D:D:D

chryslerfan55 and Flathead Dave like this.
  20. 65 grand! For that I would build a bad ass 29 Sedan Dekivery.
    Like this..........................................

[​IMG]

21. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Pay off my house.

22. Driver50x

Driver50x

How in the heck do you get insurance for $200 a year?

23. rudestude

rudestude

You asked the question....actually basically you told us of something you did , stopped and looked at paint colors for a project of yours , well that's good I hope you got a answer.
    Then you tell of some thoughts that went through your head..ok what ever.
    You can do that it's your thinking...hope your thoughts and thinking all work out for the best.
    But then again at the beginning, there was that question 65,000.00 What would you buy?
    So guys answered, actually with pretty legit answers, I was going to say whores and Hot Rods then I thought that wouldn't be wise , sense whores are usually the ones that take away your Hot Rods
    Then you seemed to be upset with the way guys took your post...but you did put some LOL's in there...so I guess all is good and now your as confused after reading this as I was after reading yours....LOL
    In the end the beginning wasn't really even a question ...if it read "If you had $65,000.00 what would you buy? That question fits the type of answers you were receiving...but apparently you were not looking for any of that anyways...lol..
    Confused now...

Sent from my SM-J737V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sell our house, 240,000? add the 65,000. Buy a smaller house with a bigger garage (a garage-ma-hall). Add just keep be picking away at the junk I have.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. Liability insurance on a 79 Chevy pickup truck? How much should I be paying?

26. Old trucks are like old men. Don't underestimate how tuff we are. We (us and the trucks) didn't get this old by loosin.

65K first I would pay my gas bill and get a full tank to finish out the winter. I still got about 64K left. Hmmmmmmnnnnnn guess I would shop around.

27. JimSibley

JimSibley

Hookers and cocaine of course!

rudestude likes this.
  28. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stash it away and look for another 40 project

i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. Driver50x

Driver50x

Maybe it’s different in Kentucky. I can’t come close to insuring any car that cheaply in Florida.

30. I was upset when it got that high lol. I have 2 with full coverage, 4 with liability, and i pay $1600 a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.