Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods slant 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aaron85706, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Aaron85706

Aaron85706

I have a 225 slant 6 gonna be rebuilding it, any cool ideas?

2. Yea sell it and buy a 360. LOL

You should not have any trouble finding a single 4 intake for it and a cam and headers. You should be able to source slugs for it from TRW. The rest is all building and tuning.

3. One of the best engines Chrysler ever built.

loudbang, ted kovacs, wraymen and 6 others like this.
  4. MoparTobi

MoparTobi
    from Macon, Ga

I'm running a slant in my O/T Duster. Stock except for electronic ignition, super six intake (2bbl), and hooker headers with dual exhaust. Plenty of power and sounds sweet also!

loudbang and wraymen like this.

5. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

yep! X2

loudbang likes this.
  6. I'd still like to see someone mount a slant-6 in a hoodless rod of some sort and put it in straight up-and-down. :rolleyes: Likely nobody would recognize what it was. :p

loudbang and firstinsteele like this.
  7. Phil1934

Phil1934

8. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Don't bother. Weak link will be the cam gear oil pump gear.

loudbang likes this.
  9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Enderly ran one at Bonneville standing up, in a Studebaker. He had the 170 inch motor to run in 3 liter class.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Hnstray and 5window like this.
  10. GTS225

GTS225

Yeah......go here; http://slantsix.org/forum/index.php

If you're not registered, get that way, then ask the question there. The guys over there are quite good at recommendations, there's a "recipe" folder on the main page, along with a batch of articles. You can still find Doug Dutra's book on the slant, probably at your local Barnes & Noble.
    How far you want to go? Turbo, blower, nitrous? Some of the guys over there have 11-12 second cars, and one, (that doesn't post much anymore), had a 9-10-second car, so there's some good knowledge there.

Roger

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

See Tex Smith’s AMBR winner XR-6

loudbang and stillrunners like this.
  12. Theres a guy on Utube whos a big fan of the slant six.Watch his video"s if you haven't.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Uncle Tony’s Garage on YouTube. He has a thing for slant sixes (and all things Mopar, for that matter). He’s got some great low-budget tips, and he’s quite entertaining too.

loudbang, wraymen and ffr1222k like this.
  14. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Had the Slant 6 in an old Dodge farm truck back in the day. My brother and I couldn't kill it no matter how hard we tried!

loudbang and stillrunners like this.
  15. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

I think i remember reading that they made a aluminium head from the factory for them

loudbang and 49ratfink like this.
  16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

They also had an optional aluminum BLOCK!
    A young 'wrench' at the BMW agency had one, was polishing the surface (looked GREAT!) Service adviser 'advised' him that the porous surface aided engine cooling...polishing it would overheat it, as did it on the little 2-cycle .21 C.I. engines.
    The service adviser raced Control Line model airplanes...
    I reminded the S.A. that the Slant was water cooled.
    Man, did Ken's slant shine!

loudbang and 49ratfink like this.
  17. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

My dad had a aluminum 225 in a '62 Lancer. I tried to get him to track down the Hyper Pack stuff. An Aussie friend of mine told me there was a hemi head for them over there, but I don't know much about those heads.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Nope. She's laid over just like a stocker. :rolleyes:

0302sr_miles17_z.jpg

19. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

My boss has a cheap slant six and three speed with 40,000 miles ($300) I have a really nice Model A frame ($75) I have a really nice brass Model T street rod radiator (trade) I have access to free 1948 front axle and 1965 Mercury 9" ford rear end. I would like to make a T speedster with the slant six and three speed manual. Old timey, yet capable of running the speed limits. I borrowed the picture from the internet. Awesome speedster. Wheels would be the big question. 43b1a4f0e8f535c2f66d4a31f7a9158c.jpg

20. earlymopar

earlymopar

So true!

- EM

loudbang likes this.
  21. Slant 6 dodge.....the engine with a love hate relationship as a younger guy. I hated them then because they were just a 6 cylinder and underpowered for my teenage needs, but loved it because no matter how hard we tried we couldn't kill them.
    I realize that doesn't help you.

loudbang likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

EM, not sure if it was you I asked this prior but have you seen that ? light blue Valiant ? slant 6 powered wagon run at Woodburn, by my memory many carbs, for sure has a Lenco transmission, don't remember the numbers but I will say that the first ever pass I saw it run it was pretty impressive.

23. What the Hell is THAT??? :eek: That sure ain't a slant-6 anymore, is it. Maybe that's one of them old Pontiac OHC 6s . . . ? o_O

loudbang likes this.
  24. SASROD

SASROD

There is a Offy 4 barrel manifold with 2 barrel holley carb for sale in the classifieds right now, good place to start.

loudbang likes this.
  25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

got a slanted six in my 61 Dodge. the crank broke in two pieces and it still ran. made an ugly noise though. I took off the clutch cover and started it up and the flywheel was a bit wobbly. only the flywheel was damaged. had it all rebuilt after that.

I have a 4 barrel and a 390 Holley 4 barrel for it. maybe someday I'll put it on.

loudbang likes this.
  26. GTS225

GTS225

Well, they did, but it was never released to the public in production form. It only got to the factory prototype stage. There was a few that didn't get scrapped, as per Mopar's instructions, and did make it into very select civilian hands, and then got traded around through the years. I could probably point a guy to contact info for one owner of one.

Roger

loudbang likes this.
  27. GTS225

GTS225

That was kinda late for an aluminum block slant. Officially, it was a '61 production block, but some of them got used up for early '62 cars. Mopar discovered soon on that there wasn't enough head gasket sealing surface in the open-deck design, and once the head bolts lost some torque, a blown head gasket was the result, along with a cooked motor due to driving it overheated. The engine was replaced under warranty with a cast iron engine.

Interesting package, that hyper-pak. Was never installed onto a car on the assembly line. Parts were loaded into the trunk, and it was a dealer installed option.

Sorry, no such thing. There was an Aussie Hemi 6, but it wasn't a slant. It was an upright, of 265 c.i. It was a hell of a powerplant, though.

Roger

loudbang likes this.
  28. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Could of been much greater,if it was over to the left side vs as built to the right. Had it been left,it would of been likely the most use oval track 6cly race car engine ever. But no it was wrong way to start with.

loudbang likes this.
  29. gene-koning

gene-koning

You boys weren't trying hard enough! Through my time with Mopars, I've had 3. One broke rod #5 and took out the starter. The 2nd one I pulled out of the car before it broke with a very loud rod knock. In the right car, they could be fun, and you could get some power out of them, it just took more work.
    Oh yea, I sold the 3rd one I pulled out of a truck I'd bought, just before we put in the big block Mopar motor.

Of course I'm a guy that could break just about anything. One time I broke a crankshaft on a 318. That was a fun night until just before the funny noises started... Gene

loudbang likes this.
  30. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

If you leave the 2.94 rear or whatever highway gears the 225 came with they do last forever.

I had a ported head, holley two barrel, and headers that I ran for a bunch of years in front of a ford 7.5” 3.73 limited slip axle. I used to just buy junkyard blocks and transmissions and slap my good head with bolt ons on them. Last count was around 1 198 block, four 225 bottom ends, and five 904 transmissions.

It’s now on its second 318 motor and second small block 904- this time nice garage blueprinted stuff. The 225 is fun in the really early lightweight mopar stuff, and pretty reliable. You can’t find running motors with transmissions for $200 as much anymore though now that muscle car era v8 swapping is slowing down some (shorter supply of base model donors?)

The 225 is cool but doesn’t have the cool factor of the 318 poly (semi-hemi) or the power of the later 318 LA smallblocks. Either one is a cool cruiser, but a 360 can move pretty well or tow easily. Of course the big blocks are fun too- just built my first one and I won’t be doing any more 318s...