Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Craigslist has less ads now it seems...new site suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chris_n, Dec 10, 2019.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Craigslist (Cracklist) is creepy.
    I don't want Craiglisters coming to my place. I don't to be lured to some undisclosed location with a pocket full of dough or a perceived pocket full of dough. Once you realize that your not in Kansas anymore.....it may too late. It's been too late for others in multiple states at multiple times. Both buyers and sellers have been killed.
    The Paper.....that was a different time.
    Auto Trader Magazine.....same deal, the world was kindler and gentler.
    Craigslist....web age.....a perfect place for predators.
    Fakebook......at least you can do some kind of screen.
    Forum Classifieds....also the HAMB.....honestly hit and miss. Expect to be scammed. A good precaution is to ignore responses from those with low post counts or those who only post in the classifieds. Only do business with real Hambers. You can screen here...do it. Check their history. I have had some responses, I did not like the ...vibe.

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  2. 29moonshine

29moonshine

cl went to the fee because to many dealers were posting as owners to avoid paying a dealer fee

3. Everyone?? Nope. You are assuming too much. The word "everyone" seldom applies to any scenario.

hidez57, Chicster, warbird1 and 3 others like this.
  4. I’m glad you guys hate FB

Picking up the parts you missed this evening
    Thanks

uncleandy 65, bob b., TagMan and 4 others like this.
  5. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Had a Durango I wanted to sell a few months ago and listed it on a free internet site and all I got was endless email questions I had already answered in the add. My son listed it on Facebook Marketplace and it sold for cash the next day.

ffr1222k likes this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Probably buying the ones I want but can't afford right now! :]

CL is dead for the most part. People are too cheap to pay the $5 fee to sell a car, so they list it in parts or for barter. I just search by model year, that cuts out a lot of crap and shows what few results there are. Usually this time of year a lot of cars go up for sale because folks are tired of them and want something different for next year, but now it looks like folks are hanging on to what they have.

anthony myrick likes this.
  7. Too many generalizations here..every seller, buyer, area is different.

Chicster, stillrunners, RMR&C and 3 others like this.
  8. chris_n

chris_n

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I, like a lot of you, love to just browse even if I don't have the intent to buy. It's nice to see what's out there. Something at the right price may make me think twice. I just feel that all the good mediums are gone and I find myself jumping from one site to the next to get my "fix". It seems like the consensus is CL not so much but FBMP and OfferUp are the go to's if you can wade through the old listings.

Chris

9. Irvan

Irvan

Once you realize that your not in Kansas anymore..... I'm still in Kansas but can't disagree with what you are saying.

stillrunners likes this.
  10. Last week i came across a huge U.S.A. classic car site with 1401 or something like that in the title. Can,t find it now. Anyone know what it was ?

11. I just bought a carburetor from Phila. CL, a 4100 autolite for $100 bucks, seller shipped it before I even paid him, the car guys are still out there.

12. BamaMav mentioned he enters the cars year in CL search.
    My 2 cents:
    If you use an asteric * on CL it's like a wild card, i.e. 195* will pull up everything in that category ( cars & trucks for example) from 1950 to 1959.
    I am always window shopping!

1 more car I promise, Rex Winter
    Dry n windy Lubbock TX

chargin03 likes this.
  13. I totally understand. I still cruise Craigslist occasionally, just window shopping and looking for my next trade. Never gonna join fakebook, and it doesn't let you peruse the listing if you're not a member.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I just can't imagine people are bailing from advertising a car for sale on C/L because they can't understand the concept of including $5.00 into the minimum $$$ they are set on accepting, I would understand it if the fee was a significant amount but to quote Lewis Black ,"IT'S FIVE FUCKING DOLLARS"
    I think if anything the $5.00 weeds out the dreamers and time wasters, on two fronts, buyers and sellers.

15. I have been searching for "project" and "classic" on CL for a very long time. I have noticed the decline in posting, but I just figured it was due to my semi-remote location. It really sucks, because there were some really cool cars to look at.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I listed an OT car I have on FB marketplace and paid the 5.00 for Craigslist. I didn't get one response off CL and got far too many flakes off FB who cannot read and comprehend the add that clearly stated that the car had to have engine work or an engine swap before it can be driven any distance. One gal thought because it had shiny paint in the add she should be able to jump in it and drive it to California and got mad when I told here it was a rebuild or parts car.
    Over the past two months I have sold vehicles and parts though the Hamb Classifieds, FB and Criaigslist. The craigslist one being a trailer that a guy sent me a money order for full asking price and drove 200+ miles to pick up and tow back after he got home from working in Alaska.
    On the other hand I have also bought a little boat that I was looking for and some tools I was hunting for.

A number of guys on here may be too young to remember when we only had the adds in the back of magazines or newspaper adds to find cars with and the first thing we looked at in the paper was the car adds. Go on a road trip to another town and the first thing we did was grab the local paper there and look at the car and or parts adds. Those adds run about 75 for 4 lines here locally now.
    Then came the little nickle or Thrifty Nickle papers that we figured out where they got put out first and we would snag one and go though the adds to find the cars or parts or what not we were hunting and get on the phone and call and hope we were first to call. About 15 bucks here for a minimum add with no photo.
    Now we sell or buy stuff seconds after it is posted some times.

upspirate likes this.
  17. Movinman

Movinman

Craigslist numbers are down dramatically since the $5 charge, whether anyone wants to believe it or not. The HAMB classifieds are great. I have bought and sold cars and parts on this site for the past 15 years. FB Marketplace is now loaded with old cars and parts for sale, and its easy to navigate if you take the time to figure it out. I can view parts anywhere in the country just by moving the map behind my 100 mile radius notice. Also, if you use the filter, you can narrow down years, brands, and any kind of parts you are searching for. Instagram is another good one for hot rods and customs. All you have to do is use the hashtag # in front of 1932fordforsale, and it will bring up a slew of them for sale. Another way to use Instagram is to follow names like @rodswapper, @rod&customclassifieds, @partsswapper, @buythisclassiccar, etc. There are several for vintage parts and vintage cars. Well worth being a part of Instagram. Best part, its free. Pictures are just a couple of examples of what you find on Instagram.

IMG-4339.PNG IMG-4340.PNG IMG-4337.PNG IMG-4336.PNG IMG-4338.PNG

18. The bookstores like Books a million used to have a magazine section with about a dozen car related ad sales magazines there. Are they all gone now? I haven't been there in years since I can't read.

Beanscoot likes this.
  19. 62rebel

62rebel

You have to pick the battle you want to win, I have sold off craigslist and Facebook, in fact Facebook got me my 460 sold pretty quickly. Craigslist sales have made me some good friends, in fact. The last thing I sold through the hamb, unfortunately, the buyer screwed me out of my money. Crap happens.

20. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

Craigslist is dead....Facebook Marketplace has taken over. I really don't understand those who say the interface is hard to deal with....you can literally search, save, and message the seller from the same app. CL requires an email, or a phone call, if the seller even remembers to include contact info.

21. topher5150

topher5150

I'm going to have to check out instagram just for that.

22. Craigslist is Sssoooo dead that I broke down and got FB just to get the marketplace. When I gave my nephew my phone and told him to get me signed up in FB he about fell over. It’s not just getting slim for cars it’s everything that gets listed on FB didn’t get listed on CL.
    Good buys and good sells both quick and painless.
    The thing about FBMP is if you see a deal and want it you better not waist time because it’s gone.

upspirate and lucky ink like this.
  23. lucky ink

lucky ink

I don't believe in FB either. But i get on wife's for market place because craigslist has nothing for hot rods.

24. Budget36

Budget36

I just went to FBMP, seems like decent deals out there.

25. Just picked up a rot free 61-66 f100 hood on FB
    Thanks guys

ffr1222k and chris_n like this.
  26. FBMarket Place can be the same endless messaging until a phone # or location is given. Not saying CL is the tits but so far I'm okay with the$5 as it's pretty much a local thing. I'll spend more if I want a world wide audience - get tired of posting in the classifieds - for a million pictures request of stuff posted - when the are only a couple of hours away. I've drove 4 hrs and states over to purchase a truck bed full or trailer load. Also purchased off CL out of other states - that the Lister didn't mind shipping at my cost. Like someone mentioned - thanks for kicking CL to the curb.....still deals to be had and on FB - you have to be on instant messenger to stay ahead of the next guy....good luck......still prefer a good old auction in a field or pasture with no internet service.....just guys hashing it out !

partsdawg likes this.
  27. chris_n

chris_n

When I started this thread, I was mainly referring to cars, since they were the commodities directly affected by the $5.00 charge. The cars and parts are a dime a dozen on CL except what i search for...Nailhead parts.

Chris

28. My local FB has a complete 401 and trans for 600. Set of 401/425 heads for 100 and a 322 for 99 bucks
    Also a 60 2 door with 401 for a grand

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  29. Complete 63 401 engine 450
    F5EF917F-5CE8-4CC6-B70E-3A1D0664465C.png

anthony myrick likes this.
  30. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The last three vehicles I've purchased, I found on craigslist.
    The last three vehicles I've sold, I sold on craigslist, in each case to the first person who came to look, for full asking price.
    Craigslist works ok for me.