Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 39 Pontiac Coupe (series 25 small body) build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AGELE55, Dec 7, 2019.

1. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Not sure what stock was but these are 15x7 and I had 15x7 gm steel wheels on it before. I can tell you that a sbc fits just fine. I would have to dig up some pic of the clip, I have some somewhere. I mentioned the vin# if it if is the same at the body you know you have the right frame( a vin should be on top of rail near the right wheel if it’s still there, small aluminum tag on mine 216E68D5-FBE5-49A9-AC87-4234DF15EA18.png

2. AGELE55

AGELE55

Thanks. I could have sworn they were 5x5, but I just measured them at 4 3/4". Hmmmm...

3. AGELE55

AGELE55

AWESOME car you have there. My stock bolt pattern is 4 3/4", so I think I'll pick up the 15 x 7 rally wheels tomorrow. Thanks.

67L36Driver likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Please don't be offended by the following comments......measuring the lug bolt spacing is often inaccurate on odd number lug count because they are not directly across from one another as in the case of even number lugs. When measuring odd number lugs, measure from the center of one lug to the outside of the farthest lug. That will give an accurate enough measure to determine the pattern dimensions. If measured to the center of the farthest, it will be less than the actual pattern. A 5" BC would measure 4.75 for example.

In the era of your car, I know of no model that had a 4.75 BC. Chevrolet, the most common user, did not adopt that BC until 1949 model passenger cars. It may be the case, of course, that the chassis had a conversion done at some point. 1939 is a long time ago and anything is possible.

Ray

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

My Pontiac is a 1940 and the vin is attached to the front cross member. I also put a Pontiac v8 in my 6 cylinder car. It has a 421 super duty and a 4 speed, make it FUN!

Attached Files:

6. AGELE55

AGELE55

Absolutely no offense taken! Damn...I used to know that, lol. I know when I brought it home I measured them at 5x5 so confused myself when they suddenly became 4 3/4. Thanks for the reminder on how to properly measure. I almost bought a nice set of wrong size wheels.

Atwater Mike and Hnstray like this.
  7. Well then just add new cross members or find a replacement. Good luck with the project

no need to keep it if your VIN is on the firewall. On my Caddy is on the frame

8. Is that the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake Iowa? My Mom grew up in Mason City and almost went to the show the night of the plane crash.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I also have a 39 but mine is the series 28 4-dr sedan. The VIN plate was on the cross member, driver's side just behind the radiator. And my car has a 5 on 5 bolt pattern.I have a 50 Pontiac too and it has the same bolt pattern. I bought a set of Ford 5 on 5 rims and put them on it just to roll it around. But, with trim rings they looked pretty good so I picked up a set of the chrome covers that go over the center cap and lug nuts.
    On the 39 I have been considering a certain frame swap that may or may not be approved by this site.

AGELE55 likes this.
  10. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Some full size Pontiac had 5 x5 and rally wheels,
    should be cheaper than 4.75

AGELE55 likes this.
  11. AGELE55

AGELE55

So how does it handle with the original suspension? How do I tell if the front shocks are functional? Also, what engine are you running?

12. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Will be watching this build, I would box that frame & call 'er done.
    The 326 Vs the 327 Chebby is that the 326 has a smaller bore & longer stroke so it is naturally much torque -ier. Most BOP trannys will bolt up.

AGELE55 likes this.
  13. 55chieftain

55chieftain

326 is the same outside size as any other Pontiac 287 to 455. These is no such thing as big or small block Pontiac. There is a late engine 265 and 301 thats differant. 61 and up engines have the same trans pattern as buick, olds and cadillac , but up to 63 had no provision for a block mounted starter but there is a plate available for those to mount a starter to. 55-60 have a differant bolt pattern of there own.

Bigdavid likes this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The integral upper arm shocks are, in my opinion, nearly worthless even when functioning as intended. It is not too difficult to adapt some tube shocks on the back side of the A arms and fabricate mounts upper and lower. There are alternative solutions that are somewhat OT. Inquire by PM if interested .

Ray

AGELE55 likes this.
  15. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Yes, it is , your mom would have had a story to tell

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The rear end is the same 37-56, then Pontiac went to the 9.3" ring gear in 57. Mickey Thompson made aluminum and magnesium third member replacement carriers. Many Junior fuelers and gas class cars used them. Never was a Posi made, but there were spools, and many other parts however. Axles were 10 spline. I think after a good cleaning, replacing seals/gaskets, the rear end would handle a SBC, or even a stockish Pontiac engine just fine. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

AGELE55 likes this.
  17. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Ive got a 57 rear end with 31 spline axles and a 3.08 posi , im in IL though

18. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I fixed the front suspension on the 40 years ago and added tube shock it worked fine ( I have since changed the font clip and the bigger engine) Gary

kidcampbell71 and AGELE55 like this.
  19. AGELE55

AGELE55

Thanks. I think I'm leaning heavily toward adding tube shocks and keeping the original front clip. Quickest way to get it road worthy.

bill gruendeman likes this.
  20. AGELE55

AGELE55

Teardown begun. Someone please tell me the steering gearbox is packed with grease, because if this is gear lubes it's a bit thick...lol

Attached Files:

21. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Get it on the road have fun, you can alway change it later if you don’t like it, but if you like it you good to go.

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What you probably want is 600 wt lubricant....it does exist. There have been threads on it here and you can do a Google search for to. I think I recall reading it is also available at farm machinery parts depts, ask for 'corn husker grease'

Ray

AGELE55 likes this.
  23. AGELE55

AGELE55

Did you receive my PM?

24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

yes, and I replied. I will check and see if it posted correctly and report back in a moment.

edit: yes, my reply is there. Go to the top of this page, right side....click on the ‘envelope’ icon and it should open with both your original message and my reply.

Ray

25. AGELE55

AGELE55

Mine says "replies- 0"

26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With a lot of the same body parts it's hard to believe the Pontiac frame was so different than the Chevrolet.

AGELE55 likes this.
  27. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I must admit, to my embarrassment, :oops: that I unwittingly neglected to hit “post Reply” when I wrote it. So, it appeared on my screen, but was not visible to you......now corrected. ;)

Ray

AGELE55 likes this.
  28. AGELE55

AGELE55

Disassembling the frame slowly and trying to get a plan in my brain on the direction I want to go. This is my first 30s car and finding some interesting things.
    - there are zero rubber bushings in the front suspension or rear leafs. This makes finding suitable bushings a non issue.
    So I'm thinking I'll keep the front clip, and add in tube shocks.
    - spindles look like standard size I'm used to?? If so, maybe I can convert to a disc brake hub and make a caliper bracket from 1/4" plate. Anyone have experience? I did a similar swap on my 55 Chevy.
    - Steering box is packed with grease and PO cut off the column. I'm going to round up a GM 605 power steering box and see if I can possibly get it to fit.
    So this thread is now becoming a build thread. Should I change the title? I'd like to keep the thread alive, because I'm receiving a lot a great insight.
    Thanks y'all. 20191210_135535.jpg

29. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I don't know how it handles because I have never driven it. It's a project in line behind the 50. I did get the motor running a couple weeks ago so that makes 3 running Pontiac straight 8s I have to work with.

AGELE55 likes this.
  30. AGELE55

AGELE55

Changed the thread title today because I'm starting to see where I want this build to go.
    >SBC with auto tranny
    >Front disc brakes /vacuum assist
    >Rearend swap (maybe disc)
    >Power steering
    >Keeping the patina
    So now, I'm off and running with a goal of driving it by summer. What could possibly go wrong? 20191207_150318.jpg