Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest A Summit Racing Tale= Good/Bad/Ugly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INVISIBLEKID, Dec 10, 2019.

1. S0- I place an order on the 2'nd. It is in stock at the Sparks warehouse...... =5 hrs away, since I'm in Cali ...... Should see it in a day or so.......No biggee...... ON TRAC shipping , and number, etc.......
    First=The ugly ON TRAC SUCKS ASS! Showed my stuff appear 35 miles to the north of me, then showed my stuff 35 miles south of me, then has been resting in another state 850mi's away.
    Their web site sucks, phone is disconnected=NO info what so ever........8 day's of waiting.......... Always tomorrow, tomorrow, etc.....
    Now- Have been in constant contact with Summit.
    They have received several complaints about ON TRAC...........
    I was patient, and vented without being a dick to them.......
    SO- Here is what they have done= The Good=
    Have re-sent my order without charging my card again, very apologetic, and am trusting me to send/require a call tag to return the original order if it ever shows........ They are filing a claim with the shipper......(side note) = They DO NOT have a specific shipper! =The Bad! YOU can request one, but NO guarantee's.....FYI...... I have specified other shippers for future purchases. They DO have/keep logs of what've you've bought,and history, so they know exactly what's going on. I have NEVER had this kinda issue,EVER with them, and they MADE IT RIGHT.
    What I'm saying is= Not their fault, but the shipper just plain as sucks! ON TRAC.
    Hope Cali peeps, and others DO NOT have to deal with this at all.......
    Bitch fest over! BUT Prop's to Summit for making it right! NOW, that brown truck better show up by Friday, or I'm gonna loose my shit !

mad mikey, HunterYJ and swade41 like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

thanks for the warning. A quick google search shows that ON TRAC really, really sucks.

3. 5window

5window

Good for Summit. Yelp, which I hardly ever trust except when I need a good laugh, gives them a One Star on 1425 reviews.
    Question: why would a good company like Summit ship with a crap company like On Trac when they already know there is an issue?

XXL__ and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  4. Jim- If I could've picked, I would've...........This has been a real debacle to say the least, and when talking to someone on the phone, and isn't their fault, I have to be polite, but stern at the same time....... They are helping immensely, but I guess being an ass wouldn't help my cause what so ever...... I'm kinda impressed with how Summit is dealing with this.

mad mikey and arkiehotrods like this.

5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Summit kicks ass, ON TRAC sucks.

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

7. Arkie- Currently my order shows residing in AZ........for the past several days.......UGGHH! I hope the box is staying warm.........:-(

arkiehotrods likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Sorry to hear this but Ontrac has dropped many a Summit order off here w/o a problem.

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Kid, I know this isn’t your problem, but twice in the past two/ three months we have opened a package with out looking at the address and found out we didn’t order that item, so we had to take a few houses down the street, then we caught a package that was addressed to our neighbor, before we opened it and had to take it a few houses down. And during this time a package addressed to us came with a note a neighbor had opened it by mistake as it was delivered to their address. That’s four goofs in three months, and we don’t get a lot of packages. Good thing we have honest neighbors! The shipping industry sucks!

Bones

mad mikey likes this.
  10. Hey Bones- Yes, some are still honest..... I still want to believe.....
    I cant blame Summit, but....... They've gotten more than their fair share of complaints about this deal.... And they are very aware....... NOW- what they do about it is another Q............
    At least they are re-shipping on their nickel, and going after the shithead shipper. I'm thankful.
    All I can hope for is to get the items by the weekend, and move forward.......
    They've been good to me in the past. Once I get, if ever, the original order, ( and I'm gonna tell the delivery guy his company sucks) I will notify them, and request a return/call tag to send it back......
    I have to keep face, and continue forward........ Always a glitch in life, and cant always point the finger. Although I'de like to........
    I guess= shit happens sometimes...... Just happened this time, and to me...... I hope no one in my proximity got caught up in the same BS!

11. And the key to getting shit like this sorted is not to shoot the messenger so to speak.
    As you you said,politely but firmly got you a good result.
    Took me awhile to learn this also.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. Weather from Reno to CA could not aggravate the problem?

Ben

13. Binkman

Binkman

I ordered a set of wire wheels last March, still no wheels 9 months later.
    About 2 months ago UPS backs up to my shop with 4 huge boxes and drops off 4 wheels.
    The boxes contain 4 huge 18 x 10 steel wheels. Not even close to what I ordered.
    I call Summit right then and there before the UPS guy leaves. Summit says they did not send them.
    Summit says we will conference call with Wheel Vintiques. Wheel Vintiques says they did not send them. The boxes are clearly from them. I say thank you and tell them I will keep them and hang up.
    A half hour later some guy from Wheel Vintiques call me and says they were shipped by mistake and that I have to take them to the nearest UPS facility right away. These were 1700.00 wheels.
    I ask the guy where my wheels are. He does not know when or even if they will be manfactured.
    I told him he will get his wheels when I get mine.Still nothing, over 9 months a waiting.
    Summit says they can't do anything. I asked Summit why they still show wheels available and will be shipped within 10 day of purchase on their site. They say they don't know that either.
    This is my first issue with Summit (in over 2,000 orders).
    I am not happy about it but overall it could be worse.
    No more Wheel purchases from Summit.
    No more Wheel Vintiques purchases.

14. e015475

e015475
    from Phoenix
    1. A-D Truckers

Amazon Prime started this corporate obsession with rapid delivery. Summit, Jegs, Rockauto all seem to come in just a day or so now.

Make no mistake that Summit and others deliberately use bottom-feeder delivery companies to improve their delivery time metric, knowing that there will be a cost in customer complaints. Yes they're good at customer service, but they are the same folks that selected OnTrac in the first place with the knowledge complaints would go up.

It got pretty ridiculous here with the OnTrac driver dropping packages at my door that were addressed to my neighbors because he didn't want to take the time to find their house. OnTrac is measured by how quickly they can deliver - whether the package gets to the right address, not so much.

mad mikey and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Bummer this happened and glad Summit stepped up. It may just be the routing, but when Summit ships to me from Sparks it usually goes Ontrac and I often (about 90% of the time) get it next day. When they ship UPS it goes sideways to Sacramento, then Bakersfield, then East Bumfuq and takes days.
    Good it was resolved with as little hassle as you had.

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

During this time of year, near Christmas, all shipping companies put on temporary employees in rented trucks! I have seen Ryder and U-haul and other trucks delivering packages. Seems strange they would do that. I have a long twisty drive way and sometimes the UPS guy backs up my drive way to unload a big package.
    Probably wouldn’t be smart to back up a U-haul to my house if I wasn’t home..... and I came home! Especially if I had been over to my friends house, down the road....and I had been drinking a little.......just saying! Lol
    But those temporary employees are a large part of the problem!

Bones

17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Ha! Yeah no, that ain't how this works. Jeeze Louise.

Did you place the order with a CC? Too late now, but there is a time window - say more than 30 days, less than 90, check with your CC, dispute the charges and you can then initiate a "charge back" through the CC issuer and ultimately get your money back. Technically they aren't even supposed to charge a card unless and until an item is in stock, and then actually shipped.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And their delivery performance went down the toilet. We've been here over 20 years and are on a first name basis with the UPS guys, the FedEx lady and the US mail people. When amazon went with their own contract delivery system the service turned horrible. At least weekly I get a package that is not mine or my neighbors are down here with a package for me that was left somewhere else.

On one very special occasion the amazon delivery turned his van around on my lawn. Maybe his reverse gear was out but he did a u-turn in the grass and got back on the driveway to leave.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    mad mikey and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. 34Larry

34Larry

I avoid buying from Amazon at all costs. Why? Because I live 20 miles South of the Seattle headquarters and they have destroyed the region with their traffic, idiot employees, and much more.
    Jeff Bezos is a major DICK who wants to own the universe. He wants to destroy all competition, in the marketing ALL goods and services and is setting about to do it. Beware of Amazon and Jeff Bezos.
    Where the F are the anti-trust laws????????????
    I know this is about Summit and their shipping but Amazon is mentioned here also, thus my comments about them and Jeff Bezos

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Strange world now days..... I used to order stuff and wait and wait to get it, when I did get it, I went out and put it right on! ..... Now I order stuff it gets here the next morning, I get it and put it on the shelf..... and sometimes I forget I have it!...... Don’t know if it’s me .....or the world!

Bones

bchctybob, BamaMav and williebill like this.
  21. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

On Trac drivers are independent contractors, not On Trac employees . So you experience with On Trac will vary with who your driver is at your location. At my previous house I had a terrible driver whose performance would make the OP driver seem like a candidate for "Driver of the year". I always specify that I don't want anything shipped by On Trac.

22. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Wow. I guess I'm luckier than I ever thought. I live maybe a 20 min. drive from Summit.

poss51kustom and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

Did you hold the wheels hostage? I would have. Heck at the very least I would have told them to send a truck to pick them up, I can't believe-shocked actually-they told you to take them to the UPS store.

24. Binkman

Binkman

I kept the wheels for a few days until they sent me the return shipping labels. I drove them into town and dropped them off. I am just trying to do the right thing. The UPS driver did volunteer that I could keep them if I never ordered them.
    I just called Wheels Vintique directly and bypassed Summit.
    The salesman finally admitted they have no idea when the wheels be made or shipped.
    I did ask him before I went to far if they were still making them and he said yes . He said the lead time can be as long as 6 weeks to ship. I then told him I am now beyond 9 months and he said "so that would be longer than the normal 6 week time frame".
    I suggest another option if anyone is thinking of dealing with Wheel Vintiques.
    I do have to add that I have purchased 6 sets of these wires over they last few years and have never had to wait longer than a few months.

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Not just you Bones, I sometimes do the same thing! I bought a jack online from Harbor Freight, showed up in three days. I put it in the tool room, and forgot about it. Finally remembered I had it, and needed to use it at least once before the warranty ran out in case it was no good.
    It passed the test, that sucker is stout! 20 ton air powered hydraulic, bought it to use lifting my house and also for the truck. Picked the house right up, was nice not to have to pump the handle, just hold down the air button. Think I might get one of the tall ones and put it on my cherry picker.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’ve had no problems with Summit or OnTrac so far (knock on wood) especially if it comes from the Reno facility. I guess I’ve been lucky but I haven’t had problems with Wheel Vintiques either. I’m not one to order something that isn’t in stock or takes more than a week or so to “make”, it just gives the humans more time to make mistakes or to move on and forget all about your order.
    A while back I violated my own rules and ordered a part that usually takes 4-6 weeks to get. The seller openly stated that he was having trouble with the supplier and that delivery times were all over the map. No one else makes the thing so I figured I’d take the chance. I got it in about a week and a half and it’s beautiful. Just lucky I guess.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Just ordered a set of rolled exhaust tips from Summit and when I got them they were different, one was almost an inch shorter and the roll on the end of the tips were different sizes. Called Summit and explained the problem and they sent me another set from a different manufacturer, got them three days later and a small refund due to the price difference. Very happy with their service, have never had a problem but never dealt with ON-TRAC shipping.

28. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I buy most parts from Summit & ask for FEDEX shipping, mostly because they deliver on Saturday & the lady driver is very competent. Summit sells just about anything U can get at the the "usual suspect" parts stores but they know what they are doing, offer military discount (U have to ask), & common parts are in stock. A lot of their parts are not listed in catalogs but are available. If I find a part cheaper on Amazon, Summit will beat it. They sell parts from most of the manufacturers. I have had lousy service if I go direct to manufacturers to resolve issues with their parts I bought from Summit (thought it was faster - NOT) so go straight back to Summit & they are quick to resolve the problem.

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If I buy anything from west of the MS river and it is shipped by Fedex,it has to pass me and go all the way to Atlanta 250 miles east, and come back, adding 1-2 days in shipping. Sometimes UPS does the same thing. Doesn’t make sense since both have huge terminals and planes in Memphis TN every day, 180 miles northwest of me. FedEx has also gotten bad about having the USPS make their deliveries for them on a lot of stuff. You can only track a package to their terminals, then when USPS gets it, you never know where it is until it shows up, or doesn’t......

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  30. KenC

KenC

The red part is a problem with the seller/shipper. The USPS delivery is a cheaper option, selected by the seller. They can have Fedex all the way, but at more cost. I agree that it is slower, in my area about a day. But tracking by USPS should be available, at least I see it on stuff I order. but, it is usually in my box before the tracking is updated.